Caribou Gear

Worst camp meal

Recurve62

So, just to get an interesting thread started, what's the worst meal you ever had to eat in camp, whether you made it your self or were served? Ours was what I called "jamba-ramen". Long day, late back to camp and tired, so I mixed Jambalaya with sausage and ramen noodles and we " wolfed" it down. Later that evening, sounded like there actually was a wolf in my brothers tent. On the bright side, I don't cook much in camp anymore.

One time goin out duck huntin I didnt have any lunch meat so I made tuna sandwitches with mayonaise and put it in my backpack. Those were the nastiest sandwitches I ever had.

Tag Soup!

^^^HA!

Eggs that had frozen (probably more than once), fried with Spam - last of the food on last day one year. Had worse gas than the mules on the ride out! And the 3 day ride home...

Spam is no longer allowed in our camp...

I hunted stags with a bunch of local Latvians. After a successful hunt they prepared a dinner at the camp. While the entrails boiled everyone but me consumed copious amounts of alcohol. I wont try to describe the taste. One bite was all I required. The alcohol was definitely a requirement to keeping the soup down.

Vegetarian MREs are pretty nasty but I don't consider that food.

I thought it would be good to get some of the premade Zatiran Rice sides (Jambalya) and mix it with canned shrimp. I heated the rice and as I stirred in the shrimp they melted creating a smell and texture that would gag a maggot. I ended up eating a PB&J sandwich.

Started out with good ribeye steaks. Then we ended up cooking them over bark from cedar because
it was about 2 in the morning and probably around 0 degees. They tasted as if we were eating the
ashes out of the bottom of your bbq even though they were not burnt.

On the HT bear hunt we were going to have steaks one night, so I figured I would make baked potatoes in the fire coals for everyone. Well, I've never done that before. I wrapped them in foil and went back to fishing. I came back a half hour later and a couple of them had exploded and the rest were hard as a rock and black as coal. So, I ended up making fried potatoes for everyone when they got back to camp.

I had some dehydrated chili once. It was horrible, and it gave me the worst diarrhea. I was up a few times at night, squatting as far as I dared walk in the dark, doing every thing I could to keep the mosquitoes off of my butt checks, and other exposed things.

Not a good meal.

I had some dehydrated chili once. It was horrible, and it gave me the worst diarrhea. I was up a few times at night, squatting as far as I dared walk in the dark, doing every thing I could to keep the mosquitoes off of my butt checks, and other exposed things.

Not a good meal.

Man! That sounds like a bad night! :W:

Well... even though it was fishing (not hunting), dont experiment with rock bass! It was the worst ever. Took less than 5 minutes for my own stomach to give it back to me!

we always take turns with a dinner night. each person brings a dish and fixins for everyone for their night. one year we all somehow all brought chili type dishes. 5 days straight we ate chili, white chicken chili, 7 bean stew, chili mac etc... it sounded like the scene from Blazing Saddles where they are all sitting around the fire, after day 3 or 4 we were going to have a competition to see who could spray the furthest...lol luckily we decided against it, what a rough week. now we all call what we are bringing for dinner in advance, nobody has brought chili since!

We marinated a slab of ribs in apple pie moonshine then attempted to let them cook on a small gas grill during our afternoon hunt. All afternoon we anticipate delicious, fall-off-the-bone, tender ribs for dinner. Apparently moonshine and open flame don't interact well. We came back to cold (the propane ran out while we were gone) cremated ribs.

Went on a guided elk hunt 24 years ago in Wyoming. The cook was a young girl from Europe here with her boyfriend attending college. I have no idea what she cooked everyday but It wasn't nothing like momma ever made. Needless to say I lost 12 lbs and lived on snickers and granola bars for a week

Deer heart and onions for dinner...then the leftovers mixed with eggs for breakfast. Thank goodness for catsup!!

After getting back to our Wyoming camp late one night, my buddies Dad cooked us up a helping of Tuna Helper. With the temp hovering around zero Fahrenheit the noodles were still crunchy and there was no Helping the tuna. After about three bites it was back to the tent for a dinner of trail mix and jerky.

We had a can of kerosine tip over in the back of the truck on the way to camp. The worst homemade chocolate cookies I ever had.

I once made cornbread in a dutch oven and mixed up one ingredient. Corn starch for corn meal or something like that. Actually tasted ok but it looked like a brick and weighed about the same as one.

Wasn't on a hunt but When I was working on a wilderness trail crew for the Forest Service I had packed a bunch of Ramen and was adding canned chicken for protein. I had run out of chicken and decided to add a can of Sardines that I had in my backpack. The taste was horrific and even thinking about the little backbones crunching as I chewed it makes me nauseous today and that was 10 years ago.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back