Working up a load for 'lopes

A-5_Guy

Is anybody else working up a load for their upcoming antelope hunt?

I'm working up something for my Ruger M77 25-06. I'm trying to figure out if it's a turd or not as I can't seem to get better than 1.5" groups at 100yds. Probably ok for hunting, but would like sub-MOA confidence on longer range shots.

Here's where I'm starting:
Hornady Cases, prepped, trimmed to length
Winchester LRP
IMR4350 - load TBD
Nosler Accubond 110gr.

Has anyone had any luck with the Barnes TTSX?

Thoughts?

I had similar results in my 270 couldn't get better than 1.5 at 100 yards I switched from imr 4350 to h4895 and got that down to .5

Depending on what you consider "longer range shots" you may not need to do anything but practice! Out to 300yds, I'm more than happy with 1.5" @ 100yds, assuming the groups are round and consistent. That said, I'd probably try adjusting the seating depth before trying a new powder. If you are not on or very close to the lands now, I'd try closer before trying farther way...

I'd also consider giving the 100gr Ballistic Tip a try. From reports, they are more than tough enough for pronghorn and have a bit better reputation for accuracy than the accubond.

I've had a couple 25 calipers that I just couldn't get to shoot 110 grain accubonds in. My go to bullets to check accuracy with any 25 cal I've had have been the 100 grain hornady interlock and 100 grain nosler ballistic tips. I'd definitely give the nosler ballistic tip a try. They are a lot tougher than they used to be. I've used them from 257 Roberts all the way to 257 weatherby and they exit majority of the time from 150 yards to 500 yrds

Is anybody else working up a load for their upcoming antelope hunt?

I'm working up something for my Ruger M77 25-06. I'm trying to figure out if it's a turd or not as I can't seem to get better than 1.5" groups at 100yds. Probably ok for hunting, but would like sub-MOA confidence on longer range shots.

Here's where I'm starting:
Hornady Cases, prepped, trimmed to length
Winchester LRP
IMR4350 - load TBD
Nosler Accubond 110gr.

Has anyone had any luck with the Barnes TTSX?

Thoughts?

I have the same model gun. I just loaded some variations of 115 Gr Nosler BT's using H4831. I hope to shoot this weekend if the weather is decent. I will report back after I do shoot. I have also shot Federal factory 115 gr Nosler partitions and they shoot very well. Approximately .5 MOA. The Partition load kills White-tailed deer like some form of magic. Straight down and very little meat damage. This may also be an option for you.

All,

Thanks for the replies. I know that 1.5" at 100yds is plenty for a hunting rifle but I'm a pilot and well, I just like to tinker with stuff to see if I can make it better...

Did I need to put a Mercedes diesel engine in my '72 Toyota FJ40? Hell no. Is it fun? Hell yes, haha. Also, I'm pretty new at reloading and I want to try different things.

I'll give the Nosler BT's a try as the danged Accubonds are expensive.

Huronmtns, definitely let me know how the load development turns out if you hit the range this weekend...

Since you like to tinker, you may want to try free floating your barrel to see if it makes a difference. Many of the Ruger wood and laminate stocks are built with a pressure point at the forend tip. One way to do it temporarily is to put a piece of plastic in the bottom of the recoil lug well. I bedded my foreend on my M77 with JB Weld and it made a noticeable difference. But I'd try floating first.

The 110 gr. Accubond is a good one. Might try the 100, 115, and 120 gr. Partitions. Try IMR4350 first.

Might give H4831SC a try with the bullet you are using now. Best of luck.

IMR4350 and 120 gr. Partitions in my wife's 25-06 sure worked well.

My 25-06 likes Hornady American Whitetail factory ammo. I have not beat the accuracy I get with this ammo with any of my handloads. Nickel size groups at 100 yards.

Also, try some Remington Core-Lokt (green and yellow box). They are inexpensive, but usually shoot really well in most rifles. The bullet is perfect for antelopes.

I agree with running some factory ammo through it to see if it's the rifle not liking the load you made. My Savage 25-06 shoots Federal Fusions at about 1/2 inch group at 100 yards. Federal blue boxes and core lokts are also good rounds to try. See if you can get a group with one of those that you're happy with and go from there. Some rifles just aren't all that accurate no matter what you put down the pipe. So, I'd start at the basics and then see what you can do. I had an old 30-06 that wouldn't factory ammo to save it's life, so we spent a week coming up with various handloads to see what it liked. Using different bullets with the same powder charge may change things too. Sometimes your rifle can sling one bullet better than another. So, tinker away and possibly frustrate yourself...lol But, my advise it to get a box of fusions, blue boxes, and core-lokts and shoot each one to see if your rifle groups well with any of them. They are all usually pretty accurate rounds in pretty much any rifle. You won't be out a lot of money for a box of each, and you can rule out whether or not it's a rifle issue just not being super accurate.

I don't have a 25-06, however, I recommend you try Federal Fusions. They have shot very well in all the rifles I have tried them in, Plus, they are a bonded core bullet; not necessary for antelope, but it also wouldn't hurt.

I have shot them in 223, 243, 7mm-08, 308 and 7mm Remington Magnum, all with 1" or better accuracy.

Try lighter bullet some barrel twist likes lighter bullets. My 25 likes 4350. But dosent shoot well 39th any bullet over 100 grain

Just an update:

I picked up a box of Hornady Superformance and Remington Core-Lokts.

Overall my M77 is printing about 1.5MOA at worst, at best it's about 1.24MOA. I can't figure out what the hell is going on. The first shot flies and the next two print touching or nearly so. I've tried shooting from a fouled barrel, completely cleaned, cleaned and lubed, cleaned and no lube, etc.

I'm going to work up that load backing off the lands .002" and see what that does.

Any of those rounds will kill an animal, but the inconsistency is bugging the heck out of me...

I agree with running some factory ammo through it to see if it's the rifle not liking the load you made. My Savage 25-06 shoots Federal Fusions at about 1/2 inch group at 100 yards. Federal blue boxes and core lokts are also good rounds to try. See if you can get a group with one of those that you're happy with and go from there. Some rifles just aren't all that accurate no matter what you put down the pipe. So, I'd start at the basics and then see what you can do. I had an old 30-06 that wouldn't factory ammo to save it's life, so we spent a week coming up with various handloads to see what it liked. Using different bullets with the same powder charge may change things too. Sometimes your rifle can sling one bullet better than another. So, tinker away and possibly frustrate yourself...lol But, my advise it to get a box of fusions, blue boxes, and core-lokts and shoot each one to see if your rifle groups well with any of them. They are all usually pretty accurate rounds in pretty much any rifle. You won't be out a lot of money for a box of each, and you can rule out whether or not it's a rifle issue just not being super accurate.

What are blue boxes? Always interested in cheaper ammo that shoots. No to belabor the point but I killed nearly everything (quite dead) with Hornady BTSP before I knew better...

Try a first round dry fire on target before shooting groups? Has this gun shot less than sub moa in the past? Agree with floating, also Ruger triggers aren't great IMO, perhaps try a drop in. I'm a limb saver barrel deresenator believer to tighten groups slightly for off the rack guns. My 25/06 700 likes IMR 4350, my dads 70's vanguard prefers 4831, 110 accubonds in both although 117 game Kings were a contender.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back