Wool hunting clothing

I grew up hunting in wool. Heavy wool pants that would weigh 20 lbs when you took them off at end of rain soaked day along with heavy wool sweaters. They were warm and quiet but normally too warm for the longer/steeper hiking I do now. Worked great for coastal blacktail sneaking through the woods kept you warm even after soaked with rain and 35 degrees you needed the warmth. I still use merino base layers but as others outerwear has made major bounds I’m not one to be stuck by what did work. You don’t see mt climbers wearing wool anymore either.

Hunting in south and west Texas, wool base layer is nice but not really necessary. My merino wool set was really nice until I had to push through a bunch of cactus. I don't think I'll ever get all of the tiny stickers out of the weave.

I like wool for base layers and socks. But for heavier outer layers, cleaning them becomes a pain. I invested in an expensive pair of warm pants for extra cold days--100% wool, dry clean only. Makes me not want to get them very dirty.
Cold water delicates inside out and hang dry or tumble dry low. $120 pants I felt the same way. Don’t be afraid to try this

Every year I see less and less hunters wearing wool hunting clothing. This mystifies me as man still has not invented any material that is as warm, quiet, flame retardent, and earth toned coloration as wool. Any one else out there still using wool?

I'd argue the opposite is true with the advent of merino wool for layering. Also, when hunting in the rockies I'd much rather have a synthetic shell than a wool coat, my wool layers stay nice and dry.

I like the overall performance of synthetics over wool for everything but socks. And with socks I have gone over to Alpaca. The only time I wear merino wool base layers is for day hunts were I can dry them out. Any type of extended outing, synthetics are warm for their weight and dry quicker and wick better.

Too cheap to spend the money for all wool. It's much better utilized as a base layer. There the natural scent elimination is so nice for extended hunts. The old adage of synthetics stink is still true though scent suppression helps.

I do have a 3/4 length blaze orange vest I would never do without though. It's a perfect layer and the length lets me use my coat packets easier. Had one from Beagle but had to switch to one marketed by Big Woods Bucks.

Wool has saved my ass so many times I am forever in debt to sheep. Rifle season in NW MT is between 70 above and 20 below, but mostly hovering around freezing and usually raining/sleeting/snowing. Yeah, I have puffies. They're cozy when it is cold and dry, but branches tend to rip them up. Sit around a fire and you'll soon burn holes in those spendy petro-fabrics. In hypothermia weather, wool insulates when wet. Shells are good, particularly to help keep the wind off, but they don't breathe well often you end up steaming up from the inside. There is nothing better then merino wool for underwear. And quiet. Who wants to listen to swish-swish all day? Save your pennies and invest in good wool. Our petrochemical laboratories still have not caught up to Mother Nature.

My first test of any hunting clothing is to run my fingernails up and down the fabric. If I hear anything I keep on walking.I am a still hunter or stalker. Silence is golden. Funny how critters never spook from red and black checked camouflage.

I have an LL Bean wool coat. Love it, but it is heavy and does not cut the wind very well.

Every year I see less and less hunters wearing wool hunting clothing. This mystifies me as man still has not invented any material that is as warm, quiet, flame retardent, and earth toned coloration as wool. Any one else out there still using wool?
Yes I have 2 pair wool pants, wool socks (darn tough) merino wool base upper layer, wool Pendleton button up and wool sweater. Only downside is need a plastic windbreaker.

Wool briefs didn’t last very long however. Mainly for rocky mtn elk & mulies

Merino socks, under layers and King of the Mountain wool shirt and vest for bitter cold weather hunting.
I prefer synthetic pants for ease of walking and light weight but wool above the waist if cold.
Puffy under my KOM coat if bitter cold too.
Been wearing some of my King Of the Mountain for about 30 years now, it lasts.
Gets heavy if wet but warm and yes quiet.

Before Cabelas sold its soul to Bass Pro, they sold a product called wooltimate fleece. About 60% wool blended w polyester fleece. Not as heavy as 100% wool, very durable, dry as wool. I had a wooltimate jacket for years, too warm for my mobile style of hunting except in extreme cold. Sold it to a midwest hunter who is now living the dream, wearing it in some treestand for which it is ideal.

It looks nice but it’s either too hot, or two wet, for it to be much use to me beyond socks and t-shirt.

I like synthetic parkas myself, but I do use wool when busting through some vast blackberry undergrowth up here. SI is good, as is predator wool.

Merino wool base layers here also. Often times in warmer weather hunting, my wick base layer from First Lite will be the only thing I wear on top.

I don't typically wear my heavy wool pants. Just prefer a lighter more breathable merino base layer covered by a synthetic pant.

Lots of benefits to merino wool next to skin. Fast drying, scent free, soft, etc!

I am still wearing my wool parka and pants from LLBean that I bought probably 20 years ago. They are warm and quiet. They get heavy when wet but thats to be expected for wool. I don’t think you can beat wool for its warmth.

We have found that wool is the absolute best in terms of warmth and breathability. Nowadays you can get a lot of lightweight wool that is great for warmer days or more active days, and they can be used with heavier wool layers when colder.

I like Darn Tough merino wool socks...made in USA and lifetime warranty...wear them out and send them in to exchange for a new pair.

For pants/shirt I prefer polarfleece like Polartec200 or Polartec300 which is much lighter and dries much quicker, and wicks sweat
away much better than wool.

I live in wool socks. Pretty much year round. Was a Smart Wool PhD believer for years but I can’t get more than a year out of their socks any more. Made one switch to Darn Tough. Never going back.

I’m all wool or wool blend for active hunts. Wool base layers are a must for me. I have toxic sweat and for some reason even bleach can’t get the stink out of synthetics.

I do have some synthetic stuff for really cold stand hunts. Hard to beat the heat/weight ratio on some of the modern synthetics and their compressibility is impressive.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back