Woodworking Hunt Talkers?

I designed and made a daybed with 8 file and storage drawers underneath for my home office. Learned to make locking rabbet joints! Pine slab w/interesting worm tunnels was on the property, and I refinished it for the trim. Took quite a while (2 years), since it was my first, big woodworking project. There will be pillows, many, many pillows.
Very nice!

What did you use to stain the antlers?
We use Minwax "Provincial" stain. Sometimes with a bit of "Light Walnut" or "Early American" near the bases where it should be darker. Here's a restored bleached out deadhead my daughter did a couple of years ago. Three points at the end of right main beam and about two inches of G2 on left side were gone and had to be rebuilt.20221210_132208.jpg

We use Minwax "Provincial" stain. Sometimes with a bit of "Light Walnut" or "Early American" near the bases where it should be darker. Here's a restored bleached out deadhead my daughter did a couple of years ago. Three points at the end of right main beam and about two inches of G2 on left side were gone and had to be rebuilt.View attachment 254663
Nice! Thanks.

View attachment 254728View attachment 254729
Before and after. A little theater. It's amazing with the sound insulation we installed that the sound system can't be heard outside of the theater. mtmuley
There was a 1/4 thick acoustical rubber membrane applied over the framing. Both walls and ceiling. All openings around outlets, lighting and speakers sealed. Then a hat channel with acoustical isolators. Then 1/2 plywood. Then the shiplap siding. There are 17 speakers and subwoofers in the space. All of it is controlled remotely. mtmuley

View attachment 254728View attachment 254729
Before and after. A little theater. It's amazing with the sound insulation we installed that the sound system can't be heard outside of the theater. mtmuley

Guessing you converted your garage so I have a couple questions.
Did you remove the door completely and close it all in?
How did you convince your significant other to let you do that?

Great job by the way!

Chainsaw milling lumber for our new place, its both one of the stupidest and coolest/most rewarding things I’ve done in awhile. Working on door casings and baseboards currently. Once I get those knocked out I’m planning a live edge island countertop, that I’m actually looking forward to. The base and case is just painful.
B88ADF4A-CC3C-493A-8579-96CDAD448482.jpegD1CC7148-6ACB-4EB4-93A6-6B454816796E.jpegE88241E0-7D1C-4A8C-B755-A27441F34DE2.jpeg6E5D9B51-5F8F-4C26-92F5-4F377DF5A2A0.jpeg6C9302C5-51FB-464D-84C6-E8A73FB44D3A.jpeg

Last edited:
Guessing you converted your garage so I have a couple questions.
Did you remove the door completely and close it all in?
How did you convince your significant other to let you do that?

Great job by the way!
It was built for a client. mtmuley

Chainsaw milling lumber for our new place, its both one of the stupidest and coolest/most rewarding things I’ve done in awhile. Working on door casings and baseboards currently. Once I get those knocked out I’m planning a live edge island countertop, that I’m actually looking forward to. The base and case is just painful.
View attachment 255100View attachment 255101View attachment 255102View attachment 255103View attachment 255104
What chainsaw mill are you using?

Why? Just the work of getting the material down to size?
Yep, it’s just terribly slow compared to having trim dropped from the lumberyard and just cutting to length and hanging. I’ve got to force myself to slow down and just get into a groove. From milling the actual logs, ripping them to finish dimensions, sanding each piece, then staining (clear satin poly). The actual installation is a breeze.

I am looking forward to building individual elements, island countertop, shelving and hoping to build a bar in the basement with homemade (beetle kill) boards but baseboard and door casing just isn’t too sexy.

View attachment 255100View attachment 255101View attachment 255102View attachment 255103View attachment 255104
The chainsaw mill is a back breaker. You are definitely paying the price for every board.

Back