Woodworking Hunt Talkers?

In the middle of a house renovation and adding some simple woodworking projects. Most of the house was pulled down to the studs. Decided to go with butcherblock counter tops and giving the kitchen cabinets a facelift. Still have a long way to go, but you can see some progress now.
That butcher block doesn’t look like it’s going to be fun to move around. Gonna turn out nice though I’d bet. I look forward to the finished product.

Well I made something this past weekend. Thought I would share. I have been wanting a Bluetooth speaker for a few years now, but I couldn't decide on one to choose. Then I saw a kit where you can make your own. All of the electronics are taken care of, you just need to make a box to attach them to. I just so happened to have a piece of a pear tree that I thought was too neat to burn. It had a pretty big split in it from drying, but I was able to stabilize that with some epoxy. Turned out pretty nicely.

Attachments

• Log Speaker 3.jpg
    Log Speaker 3.jpg
    758.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Log Speaker 2.jpg
    Log Speaker 2.jpg
    787.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Log Speaker 1.jpg
    Log Speaker 1.jpg
    651.4 KB · Views: 23
Finished my bar a little over a year ago, told myself I would make a couple stools to go with it. Finally got around to making one. The wood are wine barrel staves. They're curved, tapered, and the edges are cut on an angle - what a PITA to work with.

Attachments

• 20200603_201814.jpg
    20200603_201814.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
  • 20200603_201752.jpg
    20200603_201752.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 16
  • 20190527_201705.jpg
    20190527_201705.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
Finished my bar a little over a year ago, told myself I would make a couple stools to go with it. Finally got around to making one. The wood are wine barrel staves. They're curved, tapered, and the edges are cut on an angle - what a PITA to work with.

I have wanted to make stools out of a wine barrel, but I figured it would be a lot less fun than I anticipated. Looks like you did a great job though.

IMG_20200611_134355.jpg
Wife wanted a bench for the dinner table. In two years of marriage, I have found out that getting the honey do list done in a timely manner, equates to more days I can hunt come the fall!

This is some of the recent honey do list I've done. My wife has been finding a lot of things for me to make on pintrest during her time off from work for the corona. Plus I made a few things for me with scrap wood. Some floating shelves for my daughters room. Live edge shelves for the upstairs bathroom. New pantry door. New doggy door for the stairs. I made a little pedestal for the dead head spike elk I found. Plus made an AZ plaque for my daughters first big game animal she shot this year in AZ. I would say I'm a tinkerer, I have more ambition then skills.

IMG_3925.JPGIMG_0332.JPGIMG_3783.JPGIMG_4046.JPGIMG_E3309.JPGRKNP5429.JPG

Ok, it's time for me to post my most recent completed project.

This one had been in process for at least 5 years. My sister moved into a house with a kitchen island with an ugly blue countertop. I told her I would make her something better.

A few months later, a friend of mine got me hooked up with some reclaimed oak that had been church pews. My sister is pretty involved with her church so I thought that would be perfect, plus it was 1-1/4" thick making it perfect for a counter.

But then life gets in the way and the partially built counter sat in my garage for 3-4 years. This summer I got back to work and finally finished it up and installed it.

IMG_1278.jpgIMG_1281.jpg

I had to hide a butt joint in the middle so I inlaid some plum wood from my dad's backyard in a cross motif. I finished the ends of the counter with a breadboard end made of ash from a tree we took down on the family farm out in South Dakota. I pegged it on with some dowels I made from more of that plum wood.

Im glad to finally be done with the project and my sister really loves it.

Here's a couple of things for the guns: cherry case for Citori O/U, oak double gun case for Browning A5 Magnum and Light Twelve, oak ammo box for trap/skeet, and collapsible rest for sighting in my rifle. Note to self: move the backstop a few yards further.
Citori case 1.JPGCitori case 2.JPGgun case new foam2.JPGgun case new foam1(1).JPGAmmo Box Montage.jpgQuik-Rest1.JPGQuik-Rest3.JPG

Nowhere near the skills of other woodworkers here .
Made bunches of wooden toys for Christmas for 40 years for my little brother and sisters,kids,friends and relatives. Wife paints them. All are made from trees from our wood lot in PA.
These are being delivered today from Creston Ca to Grand daughters in Long Beach.
Didn't take them on their flights back.IMG_20201020_092542~3.jpg
They are from past Christmas.
They have almost out grown them.

Here is mu first attempt at a gun case. Dovetailed corners need a little help so I inlayed the maple strips. African Mahogany and birch ply.

Attachments

• F3EFC2EB-328A-420D-B634-F63F0026E4AF.png
    F3EFC2EB-328A-420D-B634-F63F0026E4AF.png
    10 MB · Views: 11
  • 2EB59FED-13F6-4EFD-85DE-2EC49C22CFA3.png
    2EB59FED-13F6-4EFD-85DE-2EC49C22CFA3.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 11
Here is mu first attempt at a gun case. Dovetailed corners need a little help so I inlayed the maple strips. African Mahogany and birch ply.
Nice. I went with box joints instead of dovetail. Not so critical to get it to fit. Rather than go with conventional luggage handle that can get broken off, I picked up a piece of junk luggage from Salvation Army store with handle that collapses flat and made that work.Citori case 2.JPG

Nice. I went with box joints instead of dovetail. Not so critical to get it to fit. Rather than go with conventional luggage handle that can get broken off, I picked up a piece of junk luggage from Salvation Army store with handle that collapses flat and made that work.View attachment 163344
That is nice. I made the case for a friend. So when I get some time I will make another. I like your handle idea.

I grew up around construction building houses and such. Always completed bigger projects. A few years ago, I took on building a pool for my daughter and am currently building the deck around it. Over the last few years, I have been getting into doing some woodworking and started obtaining tools to take on some of these projects. One project that I started this last summer was building an off-road teardrop style camper to use as a mobile hunting camp. I became interested in doing this type of build a couple of years ago, but kind of let it fade. After seeing a video of a build another guy did, I made plans and began. It has been a slow process because I have to work on it when nothing else is going on. I started with building the trailer. I am definitely not a welder, but improved my skill building the trailer frame. I then decided on a body style and made a template to build the exterior walls. Currently, I am working on the body getting it ready to paint which I am hoping to complete over this Thanksgiving weekend. Once painted, I will mount it on the trailer and begin wiring and finishing the interior. I need to be taking more photos, but here are a few that I do have.

Attachments

• teardrop body work.png
    teardrop body work.png
    810.6 KB · Views: 15
  • teardrop body work1.png
    teardrop body work1.png
    831.7 KB · Views: 15
  • teardrop trailer.JPG
    teardrop trailer.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
  • teardrop walls.JPG
    teardrop walls.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
That is nice. I made the case for a friend. So when I get some time I will make another. I like your handle idea.
Also, on this cherry case, as opposed to the oak ones in my earlier post, I offset dado cut the ends before cutting the box joints with jig. That way I was only cutting box joints through half the width of dimension lumber. My short router bit could not cut through 3/4" oak lumber in the other boxes I made without two passes. The box joint cuts were consequently not very clean. And the cherry lumber was actually 7/8" so definitely needed to do something else. The result was interesting in that the sides had classic box joint appearance while top and bottom show dado joints.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back