Woodpecker damage

reallyoldman

Having a hard time with woodpeckers drilling holes in my house siding which is a Drivet (sp) type (stucco over styrofoam). Nothing I have tried seems to faze them... Any ideas ? They are a protected bird so I can't shoot them and I live in a subdivision. Any suggestion will be most appreciated !

Been there - tried everything. Been using 2 of these for 5 yrs and no further damage.

Patio, Lawn & Garden › Pest Control › Repellents › Ultrasonic Repellers
Learn more >
Bird-X BirdXPeller® PRO Electronic
Bird Repeller Version P for
Woodpeckers & Sparrows
Visit the Bird-X Store
283 ratings
Roll over image to zoom in
$23113
prime
FREE Returns
Get a $150 Gift Card: Pay $81.13 $231.13 upon approval for the
Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Card. No annual fee.
$23713
prime
In Stock
Qty: 1 V
VIDEO

Thank you to all that responded. From your excellent advise I have contacted to have a Dryvit system installed over my existing one. I have talked to a number of people in the area that have used it and all reported excellent, permanent results. It is expensive but THIS WHAT I WANTED FOR CHRISTMAS ANYWAY....ha.

Having a hard time with woodpeckers drilling holes in my house siding which is a Drivet (sp) type (stucco over styrofoam). Nothing I have tried seems to faze them... Any ideas ? They are a protected bird so I can't shoot them and I live in a subdivision. Any suggestion will be most appreciated !
I once was project manager and contractor for many commercial and residential exterior insulation and finish system (EIFS / Dryvit) projects. Woodpecker and flicker damages were often seen. Cowboy's suggested remedy is effective, as well as strategically placed owls. For specific spots an application of solution of alum repelled the pests.

Drvit and other EIFS applications have the option of a more heavy duty mesh in the prime underlayer. I would suggest that to be included in recoating your existing system.

Owl boxes have worked for me for real ones and the fake ones do work.
Had to replace the boards on a gable with metal on the Ranger office after they destroyed the wood. The roof was shingles and loaded with acorns always. Oaks would sprout ...

I once was project manager and contractor for many commercial and residential exterior insulation and finish system (EIFS / Dryvit) projects. Woodpecker and flicker damages were often seen. Cowboy's suggested remedy is effective, as well as strategically placed owls. For specific spots an application of solution of alum repelled the pests.

Drvit and other EIFS applications have the option of a more heavy duty mesh in the prime underlayer. I would suggest that to be included in recoating your existing system.
Dryvit Panzer 20 or 15 oz mesh for the basecoat reinforcement. Use a certified installer.

Is there a base price estimate with the heavy mesh included ? How warm does it need to be to apply it ? You guys are the best !

my dad told me once about a woodpecker who pecked and pecked on the school house door, he pecked and he pecked till his pecker got sore.

Since moving to Idaho I yet to see a woodpecker. Had issues in Oregon

HEY YOU DARN WOODPECKERS! QUIT PECKIN MY WOOD! 🤣🤣😂

Is there a base price estimate with the heavy mesh included ? How warm does it need to be to apply it ? You guys are the best !
Get an estimate from certified installers. Needs to be above freezing; the warmer the better, to a point.
For large projects, we would scaffold, tent with heavy duty visqueen, heat with portable propane heaters, and work during Montana winter season. (with cost increase of course)

my dad told me once about a woodpecker who pecked and pecked on the school house door, he pecked and he pecked till his pecker got sore.

Since moving to Idaho I yet to see a woodpecker. Had issues in Oregon

Lol, my pops used to have the same saying plus the one about “there once was a bird no bigger than a turd…”🤣

And you’re right, flickers/woodpeckers are everywhere here but we also have a good owl population and plenty of food for the Gamo

Must be the Idaho woodpeckers..peckers got sore ?

The ones doing the most damage are little black/white guys. They don't make any noise but boy can they drill fast ! Flickers are around also there are 7 different types of woodpeckers in the Denver area........all wanting to eat MY HOUSE ! grrrrr

Thank you to all that responded. From your excellent advise I have contacted to have a Dryvit system installed over my existing one. I have talked to a number of people in the area that have used it and all reported excellent, permanent results. It is expensive but THIS WHAT I WANTED FOR CHRISTMAS ANYWAY....ha.

Whatever you do, get the system sealed back up quick, moisture damage behind an EIFS cladding can get really bad before you have a clue it's happening.

If your doing the ShieldIt system, no mesh is needed. It’s a two coat system that directly applies over existing Dryvit. It was formulated so plasterers can apply it without extra training or the hassle of cement board systems (DAFS)
Only prep is the holes need to be patched: foam, standard mesh, and base coat.
ShieldIt is a modified acrylic base with Portland cement that when applied in the two coats has the strength comparable of traditional cement stucco.
All Portland cement products have the base temp of 40 degrees for 24 hours. Spring and fall are the best times for the cement to cure. Tent and heating is a option but usually restrictive for restoration work. As @Straight Arrow mentioned it can be applied in winter with tents and lots of heat. This is usually commercial construction or clients where cost is not as important a factor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back