Caribou Gear Tarp

Women's Hunting packs

IDFireLass

I know all of you guys are hard chargers.
But looking for a light weight hunting pack for me. I'm 5'6" regular trunk length. Bad back and still getting over right hip replacement surgery (1 year ago).
Have a cow elk tag for Nov. Won't be camping out and need something for a day use. I don't want the straps and the bottom of the bag all rolled up and hanging on the top of my butt by the end of the day. I'll probably be carrying knives, bags and such.

The husband has a eberlestock pack he got last year and he'll probably do most of the heavy packing if we should get lucky(either one of us).

I have an old daypack that has no support of any kind. It's mainly used as a catch all and I know where all the hunting gear is from year to year. Yes, it sits in the catch all room on the floor. lol

Looking for suggestions, I look at all the packs and get really confused by all the terms and cubic inches and so forth.
Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Decades ago I used to use men's packs. About 25 years ago I was looking for a new pack and the guy working that dept. suggested a women's Kelty, saying they were not just smaller, built different. This was an external frame backpack, awesome and thankfully not in pink or lavender. I am 5'7".

About 10 years ago I bought the women's Kelty meat hauling frame, my girls each got one and loved it, very comfortable, nothing hanging down my ass. Few years ago bought a Kelty women's Redwing day pack and have enjoyed that as well. This is the new Redwing version. I like my construction of the older better, more loops to hang things on and the bottle nets. It has the pouch and holes for my camelbak. I bought a hunters orange waterproof stuff sack to pack my rain gear in that attaches to the top, easy to get to and adds to the hunters orange requirement. I wouldn't suggest blue - ungulates see blue best.

Having used men's small packs all my growing up years, I didn't realize what I was missing until I found a women's fit with the straps in all the right places and the structure.

I used to have a subscription to Backpacker years ago, they always gave good pack information reviews, so I found one explaining the basics for you.

Last edited:
I'm also a Kelty fan. Some of the manufacturers of traditional backpacking packs have far more offerings for women than any of the "hunting pack" manufacturers. The daypack I use for work is a 15 year old Kelty and has been used and abused, but it has held up extremely well. My frame pack is a women's Kelty as well, and it is much more comfortable than any men's pack I've used.

I would check into women's models from Kelty, Mountain Hardwear, and other similar manufacturers. They usually rate high on comfort and adjustability, have multiple women's models available, and lots of color options that would work just fine for hunting.

Good luck and let us know what you end up finding. Always interested to hear about good women's gear!

My wife has used eberlestock and badlands on our elk hunts before.

Then we got her a Kuiu Icon Pro 1850 pack. She loves it.
Best fit she found. Lots of adjustment.
Good day pack.
Can haul load of meat out with it also on first trips.

WOW! Never thought of a woman's pack. THANKS! For the ideas.
Been hunting since I was 12 and I'm now 58 but I just learned something worthwhile.
Thanks everyone!

Badlands makes some good womens packs and I use a Badlands Hydration pack for my day pack. I have 3 Badlands packs and use them according to how much stuff I'm carrying. Their smaller size keeps them centered on my back and helps maneuvering through thick timber. It got all of mine on Camofire or on sale somewhere. They can be pricey but last well and are well made.

My wife uses an Osprey pack, don't remember the model, but its a women's pack. As I recall the harness is a bit smaller, and the waist belt is custom heat molded. She loves it, and carries up to about 50lbs in it. I wouldn't get hung up on a "hunting" pack, that is more gimmick and useful, i.e. camo and "quiet" material. A few pockets are nice for organization, but not really all that necessary above that. I would suggest trying on a few with weight, hit up an REI or some other large outlet.

Good luck on your search!

I'll go into Boise this coming weekend and start looking and trying on different packs and see how they feel.
I have a hand made wood/rawhide frame pack that fits the curve of your back. It was Clark Cox's that he made and they had a house auction and the family didn't want it. I wish all packs fit like it does. It's old I got as a kid over 45 years ago.

Well finally got a new pack
Other half was in town looking at different ones. He said the Kelty redwing was a nice day pack on vitimins
but liked the eberlestock ones better. So I now have a Gunrunner pack. It fits well and I like it. Will see out it all works out this weekend.
Thanks for all the replies and information.

I use a Kelty Redcloud (not made anymore) women's pack for meat. For daypack, I absolutely love my Tenzing 1250 Lumbar pack. My Tenzing has some long straps hanging around from adjusting it for my fit, but I love how practical it is for me. I ended up carrying a quartered out mule deer doe on that lumbar pack the other day - wasn't very fun but got the job done... Love love the lumbar pack. I also recommend a custom fitted Osprey from REI! Really great packs, well made for women.

Back