Caribou Gear

Wolves Have Been Released

Are you sure about that? I’m fairly certain triangulating a position with obvious visual landmarks and intersecting lines will put me within a couple hundred feet at most, enough I’d be willing to put $$ that I could drive to this exact spot. It also happens be be a large mix of state and private lands, which meets the requirements for the release..
I am absolutely not sure, which was my point. Again - I think there's evidence - but nothing definitive and the stories are going to keep coming and evolving. Already have seen multiple 'a friend of a friend said...' comments. Not solely a commentary on this specific issue as with how fast unconfirmed theories pick up steam these days, especially when wolves are concerned.

In Northern Minnesota the locals always talked about gut shooting them. I'm not sure if this is talk or regular practice. I do know that when Minnesota had its one season I was drawn for the hunt and everyone I asked gave permission to hunt. I was sadly always a half a day behind the wolves though.

In Northern Minnesota the locals always talked about gut shooting them. I'm not sure if this is talk or regular practice. I do know that when Minnesota had its one season I was drawn for the hunt and everyone I asked gave permission to hunt. I was sadly always a half a day behind the wolves though.
Are you a fed?

There's nothing wrong with "natural" migration...wolves, grizzlies, wild hogs etc. It's the nimrods that think they need to force the relocation by planting certain animals in an un-natural method. Let it occur in a natural way.
You think the wolves were naturally removed from Colorado?

I mean humans eradicated them some eighty years ago, so humans reintroducing them isn't far fetched.

The things you don't see or haven't seen, have made a huge impact to public land elk hunting in the mountains.

They elk are on private ag fields and in big gaggles in the open because they don't want to be in the mtns where the wolves have and continue to pick them off. Elk behavior has changed. Wolves love to hunt lone elk in rougher forest country. The elk that used to creep away from bigger herds after the rut into the mountains for seclusion do not do that anymore if they want to survive, even on zero snow years like this year. Bummer deal for some folks that would prefer to have a handful in the "mountains" in the fall.
Well said, and i understand. I think there is an argument to be made that they DO belong, and thank God we can hunt them to keep the numbers under control.

I don’t discredit a bit, the number of elk we’ve lost over the last 30-40 years (well before me) due to likely a number of various reasons… my boss and I had a heated debate when I came back from lunch about this topic, due to this thread. He’s on your guys’ “side” of this one but still, argues it like an old head set to believe one way and that’s it. Period. I am a Pisces through and through (two fish connected swimming opposite directions).

Anyhow, the flat brimmers are ruining hunting! The government is ruining hunting! The wolves are ruining hunting! The content creators are ruining hunting! The list goes on….. it’s sad, and yet still a little funny… Thanks for being diplomatic in your response, too.

I'd love to find a butt ton of elk one day.... just one day.
Hey, they’re all on turners! You’ve killed far far more elk than me bud… surely you’ve seen the enormous herds on private like Kurt had mentioned…

It does in some instances. Wisconsin hunters and trappers killed 216 in 3 days during the open season in 2021. I understand the mountain west is different, but hunting can have an impact.
That's good, there must be a slew of them in those woods. The "smoke a pack a day" crowd here in MT hasn't smoked a pack in a while. They must be vaping instead

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CZ452Scout
Back