MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Wolves delisting imminent

Just saw that. No doubt the lawsuits will start to flow, but I think the science behind their recovery is pretty solid, so here is hoping for quick decision(s) at the district court level.

Can't read it, access required.

I believe you should buy subscriptions to papers you want to read, but for those papers with a paywall I only write this because most paywalls are as impervious as our southern border, so for paywalls you don't feel guilty about....

In Chrome:

Press F12
Then Ctrl +Shift+P
Then type in Disable Javascript and click on that choice
Then refresh
Bye bye paywall

Anyway, delisting is long overdue. I kind of thought this was interesting:

“The governor stands by the Minnesota DNR’s written comments to the federal agency that delisting is the wrong decision for both ecological and cultural reasons in the Lower 48,”

I could see Minnesota's DNR having a position on delisting in Minnesota, but it seems presumptuous that they would have a position on delisting in the lower 48 in general. Thanks for sharing VikingsGuy.

I believe you should buy subscriptions to papers you want to read, but for those papers with a paywall I only write this because most paywalls are as impervious as our southern border, so for paywalls you don't feel guilty about....

In Chrome:

Press F12
Then Ctrl +Shift+P
Then type in Disable Javascript and click on that choice
Then refresh
Bye bye paywall

Anyway, delisting is long overdue. I kind of thought this was interesting:

“The governor stands by the Minnesota DNR’s written comments to the federal agency that delisting is the wrong decision for both ecological and cultural reasons in the Lower 48,”

I could see Minnesota's DNR having a position on delisting in Minnesota, but it seems presumptuous that they would have a position on delisting in the lower 48 in general. Thanks for sharing VikingsGuy.

Seems like a bit of a mis-quote, I found this quote at the link below which makes it sound like the MN DNR are not taking a position on other states:

"Prior to this action, the wolf in Minnesota was federally listed as threatened. In our July 2019 comments on the USFWS’s then-proposed delisting, we concluded 'all evidence indicates that the gray wolf population in Minnesota has recovered' and federal protection under the Endangered Species Act is no longer warranted in the state.
"We simultaneously recognized, however, that the situation in Minnesota is not representative of the wolf’s status elsewhere and noted that 'a blanket delisting across the United States may not be warranted.' This continues to be our position with respect to the federal listing status of the wolf, both within and beyond Minnesota."

My guess is a quick preliminary injunction by end of next week followed by a reversal by the new administration in mid 2021. Neither the re-listing or de-listing will be done basis science - it is simply politics on both sides. The ESA was a great and timely thing in its day but now is simply a political fundraising tool and another cultural axe to grind - it is sad, but then again so is much of our current discourse.

My guess is a quick preliminary injunction by end of next week followed by a reversal by the new administration in mid 2021. Neither the re-listing or de-listing will be done basis science - it is simply politics on both sides. The ESA was a great and timely thing in its day but now is simply a political fundraising tool and another cultural axe to grind - it is sad, but then again so is much of our current discourse.

it is still an important law that does what it is supposed to do: prevent a species from going extinct.

That said, there needs to be an honest effort to change how we use it, especially in light of the way some courts interpret the law.

I'm confused. It's ok to harvest ballots from seniors and the poor but not ok to harvest wolves?

There won't be a new administration in 2021 so maybe this thing goes into litigation hell where the new conservative majority on the SC rules the delist stands.

I'm confused. It's ok to harvest ballots from seniors and the poor but not ok to harvest wolves?

There won't be a new administration in 2021 so maybe this thing goes into litigation hell where the new conservative majority on the SC rules the delist stands.
As long as we are making contributions to the thread that no one needs or wants to hear about...

Back