Wolf/elk info worth reading!

Ithaca 37

I love the part where the outfitters are now blaming wolves when they can't get their clients into an elk!
biggrin.gif
Here's some of the other excuses elkless outfitters use:

The elk are up high, they're down low, there's too many flies around here--the elk don't like that, it's too hot, it's too cold, Game and Fish bombed them all with cherry bombs and drove them outta here the day before the season, it's too dry, it's too wet, there's too much snow, there's not enough snow, etc.

I'll paste the whole wolf story because I know some of you are too lazy to register with the NY Times (probably because you think it's a commie newspaper)
biggrin.gif

Following the Wolves, Number by Number
By CLAUDIA DREIFUS

ELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, Wyo. — For much of the 1980's, Dr. Douglas W. Smith, a wildlife biologist and an expert on wolves, spent his time researching the habits and behavior of the North American beaver. It was a matter of necessity: few wolves lived in the Lower 48 states, and jobs studying them were harder to find than the creatures themselves.

Then, in 1994, word went out that the United States Park Service was looking for a biologist to coordinate the reintroduction of gray wolves into Yellowstone, where wild wolves had not been seen since the 1920's, when they were eradicated by the government.

Dr. Smith, a gangly outdoorsman with a Jimmy Stewart manner, got the job. And it was he who helped trap the wolves in Canada, shipped them to Yellowstone and released them into the freedom of the park's hills.

Today, Dr. Smith leads the Yellowstone Wolf Project, managing and studying the 14 wolf packs prowling the park.

In an effort to keep track of the wolves individually, Dr. Smith has assigned a number to each one, and he referred to them by their numbers throughout the interview.

Q. When your team released the first Canadian gray wolves in 1995, did you think the reintroduction would succeed?
A. No. The plan involved going to Canada to capture new wolves to release every year, and we were going to do that for three to five years. We thought there'd be much more mortality, that 80 percent would be killed the first year. But the wolves adapted so well and 80 percent survived. We needed only to do the first wolf release in 1995 and then another one in 1996. Two of the 1996 wolves are still alive.

Q. Would you say that wolf society is matriarchal or patriarchal?
A. I would call males and females equal. They have a dominance hierarchy that is separate by gender. The alpha male and alpha female work out pack leadership together. But that can change by season, and it can also change from pack to pack.

Wolf behavior is frustrating to study because everybody wants to categorize, and wolves are as variable as people. We had, for instance, a female wolf, 40, who ruled her group, the Druid Peak pack, really above the male. Now, when she had puppies, her mate, 21, led; 40 ruled her pack with an iron fist. She was killed in 2000 by her pack mates, her female mates, some of whom were her daughters.

In another pack, the Leopolds, it was hard to tell if the alpha male, 2, or the alpha female, 7, led it. In fact, 7 led with a very unassuming, almost hidden style. You knew she was the leader because the other wolves deferred to her. Now, with 40, you knew she was the leader because she kicked the pants off any female that looked at her cross-eyed.
Q. Have you seen any signs of culture among the wolves?
A. Absolutely. They pass things on to each other. Two and 7 were the first leaders of the Leopold pack. They're both dead now, but the pack uses the exact same area of the park. They use the exact same den sites, the same travel route. That's one sign.

Now, Prof. Rolf Peterson of Michigan Technological University studied the wolves on Isle Royale, in a remote part of Michigan. Wolves settled on the island in 1948, trying to escape the frenzy of hunting at that time, on the mainland. In 50 years, nobody has shot at those wolves.

Still, when they see humans, they run. I've asked Rolf why, and he says it's culturally transmitted fear of humans. Every generation has passed it on to the next. Yellowstone is different. The wolves here learned right away that people aren't bad. They're bathed in humans, marinated in them. And so, there's a difference that's site-specific.
Q. The wolves here have thrived and multiplied to such an extent that some have formed new packs in territory outside Yellowstone. Do you worry about their fate?
A. Oh yeah. We know that the packs outside of the park are much smaller than those inside. That's because they sometimes prey on livestock, and they are killed. There are some areas where wolves shouldn't be, places where they cause problems for people. If these people have a problem with an individual wolf, they call for all wolves to be killed. That's why I sometimes say to environmentalists that if all wolf lives are to be saved, they have to think about this.
Q. Is there a program to compensate ranchers for any losses they might suffer from wolves?
A. Yeah, but it's a privately funded and imperfect. The rancher has to show evidence that the dead cow or sheep was killed by wolves. Sometimes, you can't do that.
Q. Hunters complain that the Yellowstone wolves are causing the elk population to decline. Is that true?
A. Elk are declining. It appears to be due to many factors, of which wolves are one. Elk were at their all-time historic high eight years ago. There was nothing else they could do but decline.

In Montana the elk have a lot of predators: human hunters, wolves, black bears, grizzlies, cougars, coyotes. We have a drought, which is decreasing the quality of the habitat. We have elk living at very high densities, the maximum of what the habitat can support. All of that is playing into the natural decline.

Another thing, wolves are the universal scapegoat. Some people even blame their personal problems on wolves. An outfitter — that is, a person who takes hunters into the wild — once told me that before the wolves came to Yellowstone, there were "good outfitters" and "bad outfitters." Now, when one comes back and he hasn't gotten an elk for his client, he'll complain that it's the "wolves getting all the elk."

Q. As the person who brought these creatures here, do you have an emotional involvement with them?
A. Obviously, bringing them here myself, seeing them mate, dig dens, have pups and live, you get emotionally involved in wanting them to flourish. But in documenting their lives, I can be perfectly objective. One of the wolves, 2, was killed by other wolves. I wasn't going to stop those other wolves from killing him; that would be too involved.
Q. You and your wife, Christine, just had a baby. What have you learned about child-rearing from the wolves?
A. Patience and tolerance. Wolves are able to give discipline and structure to the pups without punishment. When a male wolf comes in after hunting all night, he is mobbed by the pups. And he tolerates their mobbing, and lets them crawl on top of him. Me, I'm always stressed, in a hurry. When I see the wolves and the way they have all the time in the world for the pups, I think that's the most important thing I can do.
Q. With the Yellowstone wolf reintroduction a success, do you think it will be duplicated elsewhere?
A. Many environmental groups are advocating that. There's disagreement on the place where it should first happen. But the places that are on the table now in the Lower 48 are Northern Maine, the Adirondacks, the southern Rockies, and the Olympic Peninsula. I'm cautious because I think if you put wolves in areas where it is difficult, the public resentment against all wolves grows.

I personally think northern Maine is the next best spot. And one reason is that a lot of northern Maine is owned by paper companies. Wolves can deal with roads and logging very easily.

Q. Why is there such a loathing of wolves in our culture?
A. The aboriginal people of North America did not have the mindset to eradicate every wolf. So the loathing came with the arrival of Europeans and their ideas of manifest destiny and "civilizing" the continent. The Europeans wanted to rid the area of wolves to civilize it. Wolves are the antithesis of civilization.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/22/science/22CONV.html

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 07-23-2003 17:48: Message edited by: Ithaca 37 ]</font>

Here's a forwarded email that pertains to Dr. Smiths real agenda. He's just doing his job!

Subject: Re: Dr. Douglas W. Smith wildlife biologist expert on wolves

> Rachel, In Gardiner Montana , March 2002 Bill Hoppe 6th generation
Montanan,
> rancher,outfitter,and one of the finest men I have ever met cornered Dr.
Doug
> Smith at a public meeting on wolves and said; "there's a whole lot you
are'nt
> telling the people" (in the context of the decimation of all the wildlife
in
> the Yellowstone ecosystem). Dr. Doug Smith looked at his shoes in front of
both
> of us and said; "It's my job".....in this article Smith says before wolf
> introduction there were too many elk, an all time high.This is a
documented
> lie. The Rocky mountain elk foundation tells us that from 1890 to 1920
there
> were 30,000 head in the park. At that time there were Griz & black bears,
> wolves, cougars etc.Before wolf introduction in YNP in 1995 there was
> head of elk,now we are at 7,000. There is no replacement stock of calves,
the
> average age of the herd is 17 years old. Regeneration of the herd is left
to
> senior citizens. The moose is completly eradicated,350 bighorn are now 40,
two
> thirds of the antelope are gone and still the Park denies there is a
> problem.Instead of targeting Maine for wolf introduction we should be
targeting
> these biologists for a jail cell.
> >

Pauls reliable source said, "The Rocky mountain elk foundation tells us that from 1890 to 1920
there
> were 30,000 head in the park. At that time there were Griz & black bears,
> wolves, cougars etc.Before wolf introduction in YNP in 1995 there was
> head of elk,now we are at 7,000. There is no replacement stock of calves,
the
> average age of the herd is 17 years old. Regeneration of the herd is left
to
> senior citizens. The moose is completly eradicated,350 bighorn are now 40,
two
> thirds of the antelope are gone and still the Park denies there is a
> problem."

Lets take a close look at these "facts".

First of all, if between 1890 and 1920 30,000 elk...along with griz, black bears, wolves, lions, etc. all seemed to thrive just fine....why is it a problem in 2003 for the same thing to happen?

If I'm to believe that there are only 7,000 elk in Yellowstone, why does the MTFWP still give out nearly as many tags in 2003 for unit 313 as they have for the last 10 years? I'd have to guess that if elk numbers declined that signifacantly we'd surely see a reduction in permits, especially for antlerless elk (you know the ones that produce calves). Average age of the elk is 17 years old...Hmmmmm. Funny, the 3-4 times I stopped at the Gardiner check station, while helping some buddies slay the "rare elk" down there...the average age was far from that, but hey, those MTFWP biologists dont know what they're doing, right? The 4 elk my buddies checked through were as follows: 1.5 years old, 9 months, 5 years old, and 7 years old.

Moose are eradicated, thats funny, I wonder how many tourist each year still see moose in Yellowstone? Funny, maybe they're all just seeing moose ghosts?

Bighorn down from 350 to 40? Sure, whatever they say. I personally must have seen the entire Yellowstone sheep herd (plus a few) in 1997 and again in 1998 just north of Yellowstone N.P. I saw 56 sheep in one day in 1997 while on a scouting mission. You know what else is funny to me to...is again that damn Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks is still allowing UNLIMITED licenses to sheep hunters and hunting has continued on those 40 sheep. Do you really think the FWP would allow that to happen if Pauls, "facts" were correct?

Lets not forget the antelope. Anyone who's ever been to that country around Yellowstone knows its far from ideal habitat. I'd like to see historic population numbers listed and current ones as well...those "facts" seem to be missing...yet, I'm supposed to take someones word for it?

Something tells me that Pauls source of info is a bit corrupt.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Wolves are the antithesis of civilization <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>A gregarious animal is the antithesis of civilization?
confused.gif

gregarious

\Gre*ga"ri*ous\, a. [L. gregarius, fr. grex, gregis, herd; cf. Gr. ? to assemble, Skr. jar to approach. Cf. Congregate, Egregious.] Habitually living or moving in flocks or herds; tending to flock or herd together; not habitually solitary or living alone. --Burke.

gregarious

adj 1: tending to form a group with others of the same kind; "gregarious bird species"; "man is a gregarious animal" [ant: ungregarious] 2: seeking and enjoying the company of others; "a gregarious person who avoids solitude"

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 07-25-2003 12:29: Message edited by: 1_pointer ]</font>

Buzz Boy,

MT FWP has reduced the antlerless late season quota for 313, check it out for your self. I'll respond to the rest of your idiotic post when I return from back packing this weekend.

Paul

Taking a "closer look at the facts" Buzz Boy say's:

"Bighorn down from 350 to 40? Sure, whatever they say. I personally must have seen the entire Yellowstone sheep herd (plus a few) in 1997 and again in 1998 just north of Yellowstone N.P. I saw 56 sheep in one day in 1997 while on a scouting mission. You know what else is funny to me to...is again that damn Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks is still allowing UNLIMITED licenses to sheep hunters and hunting has continued on those 40 sheep. Do you really think the FWP would allow that to happen if Pauls, "facts" were correct?"

Wolves were introduced in 1995 and 1996. Buzz Boy counted 56 sheep probably on winter range just outside of Jellystone in 1997, and today is ......... 2003. Six years of expanding wolf populations since Buzzy last counted sheep. Who should we believe, Buzz boys facts or folks who live in Gardiner? When the last time you went to Gardiner Buzz, 1997? Is this how you gummint boys come up with your facts? You are an idiot!

And the unlimited hunt will probably be a thing of the past if the sheep populations don't turn around soon. The Spanish Peaks hunt already is.

Paul

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 07-29-2003 07:16: Message edited by: BigHornyRam ]</font>

Paul,

Do you believe the Sheep herd is down to 40? Why isn't FNAWS all over that, and demanding action? I know in Idaho, FNAWS jumped all over F&G and got permits cut out of the Owyhees when those numbers started to tumble (without any Wolves around for 300 miles).

Paul,

Maybe you ought to quit challenging people that know something about those sheep down there near Yellowstone, and stop believing the "data" of a few local ranchers who never get out of their pickups.

No, I didnt see 56 sheep on winter range, quite the opposite all in July, August, and September. My buddy and I kept pretty good tabs on the sheep in one of the unlimited areas for several years up to about 2000/2001. I also saw quite a number of sheep while goat hunting the same unit.

Paul, get YOUR FACTS straight you loser. I'd think somebody as involved with sheep would have at least a minimal grasp of what the hells going on with them.

I'd suggest you stick with swinging a hammer instead of swinging garbage about sheep populations you've never seen...and probably never will. Talk about an armchair expert, you're the absolute pinnacle.

How many you seen down there lately Pauly boy?

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 07-29-2003 19:06: Message edited by: BuzzH ]</font>

Pauly Shore,

What caused the decline in the Spanish Peaks?

It wasnt wolves.

I'll draw my conclusions from what I see, not what a dimwit Gardiner ranchers says. Talk to some biologists and post something credible.

Paul, if you had ever seen where those sheep live N. of Gardiner, you'd know that 1. they havent declined to 350, and 2. theres no reason for wolves to even be in that country.

Pauly, why would a wolf chase sheep across that shit, when they could run the elk around on the flats of Lamar Valley?

You're source is full of shit, and I dont believe the unlimited areas near Gardiner will be closed.

Oh, and heres a picture of one of those last 40 yellowstone sheep....and then there were 39......
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Dougsunlimram.JPG

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 07-29-2003 19:08: Message edited by: BuzzH ]</font>

Paul, Aren't you a Director of the MT Chapter of FNAWS? Has the MT Chapter taken a position on the Yellowstone sheep decline issue? Has the Nat'l FNAWS taken a position on it?

Paul, If you really have any evidence that wolves have killed all those bighorns you have the connections to get FNAWS involved. Of course, if you are full of shit they'll probably laugh at you. I'll watch for news in my next issue of the FNAWS magazine.
biggrin.gif

Buzz Boy,

What unit did you goat hunt in? What year? I know what caused the decline of the Spanish Peaks herd, and it wasn't wolves. Do you know what caused the decline Buzz Boy? Talk to guys like Don Laubach in Gardiner, he'll set you straight. He watchs the wolves chase sheep up on Mt Everts from his ELK Inc store.

Ithaca,

We have planned to fund a unlimited bighorn study for over 2 years now. We have been trying to get this going with FWP and MSU, but dealing with gummint agencies, things move at glacial speed. I mentioned in an earlier post about the problems dealing with the local biologist. Seems he doesn't spend much time in the field. He gets a lot of complaints but so far it falls on deaf ears. And IT, if you are a member of FNAWS, you would know their stance on the wolf reintroductions.

Paul

Pauly Shore, yep, I do know what caused the decline, I already told you it wasnt wolves.

Could it be....lions?

According to biologist I talked to anyway...what did you hear?

I hunted goats in 1998, and all you need to know is it was North of Yellowstone in one of the 300's...there arent that many areas, you should be able to figure it out. It's also in the same area the above ram came out of. Of course there also arent any good rams in the unlimited areas either...according to just about everybody.

I looked your source over a bit closer, they made those wild statements in March of 2002.

I know I was still seeing the same number of sheep on summer range during my scouting trips in 2000. What they are saying happened to 310 sheep is pure bullshit. I saw no decline in sheep numbers, about the same number of rams, ewes, and lambs every year between 1994-2000. Of course this is just what I saw, but I'd say that data is a little more reliable than your source.

Oh, and theres already been several studies done on those unlimited sheep in the units around Gardiner. I found a very good thesis in the U of M school of Forestry library, done in the late 80's that was spot on with what I found in my area.

Its also fair to note that a similar situation came up a few years ago with the 500 units. The FWP was on the verge of closing them down until the Atchesons showed the biologists where the sheep were...those units are still open.

I'd find it really tough to believe that 310 sheep were killed by wolves in the 2.5 years since I last looked around down there. In fact, its just pure B.S.

I think your talking out your ass.

Oh, and you never answered the question, how much time have you spent down there looking around? How many sheep you watched down there?

All you seem to be good at is puking up "facts" from other armchair experts.

Get off your ass and out in the field.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 07-29-2003 20:57: Message edited by: BuzzH ]</font>

Paul, as a Life Member of FNAWS and founding director of the Idaho Chapter I have some knowledge of the FNAWS stand on wolf reintroductions.
biggrin.gif
That's why I'm surprised FNAWS is not jumping all over your issue in Yellowstone. It would be a great one for them to be publicizing if it were true. I haven't seen a mention of it in the magazine, but maybe I missed something. Why isn't FNAWS commenting on the wolves wiping out almost all the sheep in Yellowstone? Or have I missed it?

Buzz,

The decline in the Spanish Peaks herd was caused by a single lion with a taste for lamb on the winter range. Conifer encroachment may be what is allowing the preditors to get the sheep on winter range. Maybe a good fire would help, and with a little luck it could take out Pig Sty, I mean Big Sky as well!

I hunted 303 two years and scouted one, and hunted 501 one year. I counted elk and calves in Jellystone as recent as a year ago February. Calves, spikes and raghorns were hard to come by. Must have been at least 100 older bulls on the Blacktail however. Saw 2 rams by Druid Peak and 9 by the Gardiner entrance.

What year did you freind get his ram? 97 or 98? How big was he? You never answered my question. When was the last time you went thru Jellystone?

What I really can't believe is that there are so called sportsman that would rather take the word of park biologist's like Doug Smith over FWP biologist's like Kurt Ault and Fred King. Maybe someone can help me out here?

Paul

Paul,

The last time I was through yellowstone was 2000.

I saw some buster rams North of Gardiner on winter range that year, several really excellent rams.

The ram my buddy killed was over 37 inches and I dont know that he ever taped it. But I think it would score somewhere between 165-172ish. It was with another legal ram, but it was a squeaker. We saw rams on just about all our scouting trips...several full curls, quite a number of legal sheep. Hunting season was a different story...

I've never played in the 500's but my buddy did, and saw sheep in there, no legal rams.

By the way, I didnt talk to the park biologists, I talked with Kurt Ault, definately a good source.

The best source I know of is my own eyes.

I still think your source is suspect, and I'd bet a lot of coin theres more than 40 sheep in the Yellowstone herd currently.

Buzz,

I would say that all sheep that spend at least part of the year in Jellystone would number well over 40. I think the 40 count comes from the sheep that hang out near Gardiner. Yes, their numbers have been on a steady decline. Last time I checked on the band of ewes that lamb in the rocks across from where Bear Creek drains into the Yellowstone, there were no sheep. Maybe they were the ones struck by "lightning"?

I did see a large, heavy broomed ram during the season, but after the quota was filled a few years ago. I also passed on a barely legal ram one time as well. The unlimited hunts are not impossible, but the wolves aint helping us out either.

Give Kurt a call sometime and ask him what the wolves are doing to the elk in his area. For the moose populations, they were on a down cycle before the reintroductions and they have yet to recover.

Paul

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back