Wisconsin’s wolf harvest season begins

Thats pretty incredible. Its must be very very bad when they meet.

It would be interesting to know the square mileage of the total six packs, and the approx. number of wolves in each pack. Also at what rate they are expanding their numbers and if these numbers are forcing the wolves to widen their area. Are the wolves in Wis. under the management of politicians, or wildlife divisions ? What is the number of wolves that is intended to be maintained ?

We have over 250 packs in WI, I think around 1200, estimated. If the count is as accurate as the deer count, there's only two
Exactly. And not arguing with what you said. They estimated the count was 866 in 2015-2016. That makes no sense that there is only a estimated 1200 wolves now. Females are having multiple pups a litter. And like dogs, they are ready to breed at a year of age. So start doing some compounding math and there is waayy more than the 1200 that they estimate.

It would be interesting to know the square mileage of the total six packs, and the approx. number of wolves in each pack. Also at what rate they are expanding their numbers and if these numbers are forcing the wolves to widen their area. Are the wolves in Wis. under the management of politicians, or wildlife divisions ? What is the number of wolves that is intended to be maintained ?
You said Wisconsin and six packs? Should be a popular hunt.

Exactly. And not arguing with what you said. They estimated the count was 866 in 2015-2016. That makes no sense that there is only a estimated 1200 wolves now. Females are having multiple pups a litter. And like dogs, they are ready to breed at a year of age. So start doing some compounding math and there is waayy more than the 1200 that they estimate.
I don't think it's quite that simple.

Day 1 in the books, looks like a good start to the short season. Pulled this from social media for reported kill on day 1. From pictures I have seen on social media, looks like the guys with dogs are doing quite well. I've also seen alot of picures and video of the "wolf patrol" setting off traps and follwing around hound hunters. No idea if it's actually a big deal, or it's a handful of nuts that make big noise.
wolf date.jpg

I did't draw a tag. My hunting buddies neighbor runs dogs for everything you can. His crew had a wolf down in the first half hour of daylight. It was a perfect morning for the hounds with fresh snow.

View attachment 174948
Is this just a random draw or is there a points system for the tags ?

It’s a points system based on seniority/points. I have two now, one short of max I think.

I should have added as others said - half random and half via preference points.

Last edited:
Both. Half the tags are random draw, half based on preference points. Non residents are welcome to join the hunt if they draw. Half of the quota harvested in the first 24 hours. The Wisconsin boys are getting it done!

Both and then some more. DNR was going to issued 4000 licenses, for 200 quota of wolves. (I saw that 27,000 applied). Then the native american tribes took 50% of the northern ceded quota (long explanation, shortened to treaty for ease). So the general public liciences issued went from 4000 to 2000 something. So of that, 50% was a random draw, and 50% was based on points. Wisconisin had wolf hunting in 2012, 2013 and 2014 so alot of guys already had 3 points.

I would have to think that the accuracy of the ‘estimate’ would depend on who was giving it. It could be a hard figure to depend a course of action on !

Day 1 in the books, looks like a good start to the short season. Pulled this from social media for reported kill on day 1. From pictures I have seen on social media, looks like the guys with dogs are doing quite well. I've also seen alot of picures and video of the "wolf patrol" setting off traps and follwing around hound hunters. No idea if it's actually a big deal, or it's a handful of nuts that make big noise.
View attachment 175003
View attachment 175003
Report I've gotten is the guys running dogs are doing pretty good also.

And the season closes tomorrow due to the kill quotas being reached. I drew a tag come to work for my 48 hr shift and the season will be closed when I get off. Oh well glad the folks are out having success.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back