Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Wisconsin Rifle Season

Jorgy

It's almost here! My buddy pulled the pix from my game camera from the last 2 days. Got some bucks on camera, that makes me super excited. I picked my stand to stay away from everyone so I could take a few does for the freezer. I will hold off on that hoping to see that big fella. Knowing myself I am going to have to control myself is that unicorn buck walks by

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 30
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 29
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 30
Good luck - I’ve got the alarm set for 3:30 am Saturday. That last buck sure is a nice one. Big woods or farm country?

3am wake-up here since we are not staying in a group setting this year and driving instead to our land from home. Not even taking my gun since I will be sitting with my son, looking forward to it!

It's not what is used to be. I feel like half the fun was getting to register your deer at the bar/ gas station and see all the deer from the area being brought in by friends, family and neighbors.

On top of that, the online registration is neglected by many, which I believe is cause for the DNR to keep saying the deer kill is down. It really isn't, people just don't register their deer anymore. In turn, more and more doe tags are offered every year in certain counties where they probably shouldn't offer them in the first place. (Mostly in the Northern counties). This seems to be their way of boosting the kill count and improving hunter success. That's my sodden theory anyways.
But yes, still excited for deer camp in the Northwoods with friends and family. Hopefully, that never changes :)

My dad is coming up today and my wife is also joining us for the first time during rifle season. I hope one of them get a deer. I really don't care about my tag. This hunt is about my dad and wife.

Gotta love WI rifle opener and all the memories over the past years.

Tonight is the traditional fish fry with a few beers and then Jeremiah Johnson.

Last edited:
I get to try out my first Wi gun season. We moved across the border from MN in spring. We live on some acreage with public on two sides. Curious to see how busy it is tomorrow.

Oldest boy is going out to the blind for the first time tomorrow morning. I’m more excited for him to be there with me then I am shooting anything

Good luck everyone...hunting Dodge county and can't wait to get out of work today! The clock seems to be moving backwards for me.

If the public ground during pheasant, duck and bow season is any indication, tomorrow could be crazy! I counted 48 vehicles opening morning of pheasant season on one large block of public near our land.

I used to get super amped up about opener, not so much any more. I will be hunting tomorrow, Dunn Co., but not what it used to be for sure. Lots of big buck on camera, will see what falls tomorrow.

I think part of the change in the hunt is a lot of the older hunters are gone. I remember when I started hunting 40 years ago, wow, that is strange typing that, 40 years, anyway, my dad would say you see a deer you shoot it. Not that many around back then. Now with the explosion of the population I think, and hope, that more people are waiting for that "good shot" and not just giving every deer they see all 5 shots. Aside from one set of my neighbors that is the case around me now. They were/are bird hunters so every deer seems to get 3 shots....

Good luck tomorrow everyone, and be safe

Yep, that’s how it was when I was a kid. It’s since calmed down considerably. Wonder what has changed
For us, its the lack of hunters on the move. Deer drives were as common as 870 slug guns. Now it seems everyone sits and waits. The lack of hunter movement correlates heavily to lack of deer movement.

For us, its the lack of hunters on the move. Deer drives were as common as 870 slug guns. Now it seems everyone sits and waits. The lack of hunter movement correlates heavily to lack of deer movement.
Could be. The neighbors used to walk all day pushing deer to everyone even if they never got a shot. Killed a lot of deer they kicked up over the years

We must have had a hot doe in the area and my son I had a great opening morning. He had the safety off on three nice bucks by 730am, passed on one and 2 he was not able to get a shot at for various reasons. This one came through at 815 following a doe and he put a good shot on it. Hope everyone else had a good weekend too.

Attachments

• 20201121_113033.jpg
    20201121_113033.jpg
    463.4 KB · Views: 22
Back