Winchester model 70

oleefish2

A friend inherited a model 70 Winchester featherweight serial # 375907 and have no idea what when it was made or what is worth? I would rate it as about a 7 or 8 with a junk scope?

What’s it chambered in? It’s worth something as it’s a pre-64. If it’s one of the rare chamberings it could be worth quite a lot.

I will get the pictures, he is looking to sell this pre 64, model 70 270 featherweight, again it is in not perfect shape but very clean with very few dings and scrapes. it has an older weaver scope and redfield rings.

Nice rifle! It's the kind that someone won't be afraid to hunt with.

Assuming the bore is good and no cracks in the stock, I'd ballpark it's value at $750-850. If the original butt plate and rear site were intact, it'd bring more.

How much for the Tiger salt and pepper shaker holder?

Nice rifle! It's the kind that someone won't be afraid to hunt with.

Assuming the bore is good and no cracks in the stock, I'd ballpark it's value at $750-850. If the original butt plate and rear site were intact, it'd bring more.

How much for the Tiger salt and pepper shaker holder?

$750 - 850 retail. Gun shop will low ball you at around $500 if you're lucky.

$750 - 850 retail. Gun shop will low ball you at around $500 if you're lucky.
Ben is spot on for price, 270, 308 were the most popular feather weight calibers in the 50-60's so without store tags as a "new" for collectors no extra value. Get it is a great shooter that will not depreciate muck if at all and might become a favorite.

I’ve got a question about the butt stock pad. Any chance that’s original? I’ve seen several of that vintage that appear to be the same pad. Not an authority by any means.

I’ve got a question about the butt stock pad. Any chance that’s original? I’ve seen several of that vintage that appear to be the same pad. Not an authority by any means.
No all the original feather weight came with a steel or aluminum but plate. That looks like a Pachmeyer white line pad, all winchester pads I have seen are solid red with Winchester logo.

Last edited:
Man that’s a good looking rifle. I like it. If it were me, I’d keep as opposed to selling but to each his own. Like someone else said, the scope may surprise you in terms of its quality.

I went thru a pre-64 phase...lucky for me unscathed, coz they were going for stoopid prices (usually not a deterrent)

No all the original feather weight came with a steel or aluminum but plate. That looks like a Pachmeyer white line pad, all winchester pads I have seen are solid red with Winchester logo.
Winchester offered more than 20 recoil pads ( special order) and the Pachmayr white line was available in either a 1 1/8" or 1 3/16" version for $2.50 extra :)

This is where the lineage and collection of pre 64's gets really muddy. With the amount of recoil pads offered, and all of them were also offered as aftermarket additions by say a gunsmith down the street. With the premium paid for " special order" pre 64's it is very easy to say it was a special order. Now having the proof ( original box, build sheet, letter from Winchester, original tags) is another story. Could this rifle in this thread be original??? Maybe... Maybe not. My opinion is it isn't without proof. I have been collecting pre 64's for almost 20 years now and have a couple rare ones. Every once in a while you hear the old story of " my brothers best friends uncle has a friend down the street with a rare special order pre 64.... but doesn't have any proof"... In my eyes than it doesn't have proof at all.

google box " selling dads old guns".. read the winchester collectors blurbs. That guy took a bunch of pre 64s and fabricated boxes, tags, Cody letters, etc... One guy even called him out because he recognized the serial number of a rifle that he had sold that was NOT new in box and used well and now this guy had it in pristine condition and new in box with tags and a Cody letter.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back