Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Winchester Model 70 Leupold mounts/rings

Mako

Well, after asking you all to help me decide on which Tikka Rifle to get for my new "mountain gun," I went a totally different direction and just placed an order for a Model 70 Extreme Weather. I didn't realize these weigh the same as the Featherweight models. I've got a VX-5 HD with a 44mm bell on it, but am unsure what scope ring height to get. I'm getting the QRW2 rings for sure. I just prefer to store my scopes separately from my rifles. When doing a search on the Leupold website using their "mount finder" tool, it tells me I need the high rings with the 2pc Weaver style bases. I plan however on using the "back country" Picatinny style rail as it's aluminum weighs about 1/2 as much. It will also allow me to adjust for eye relief more easily considering the VX-5's somewhat short tube.

My issue however is that though the "mount finder" says to use high rings, their ring height chart calls for medium rings. I'm a little confused as to which height to use with their Picatinny rail. If the Pic rail is the same height as their Weaver mounts, I'd assume high rings as their mount finder suggests. Going off the chart though it looks like I'd need medium.

That 44mm bell is going to be kinda right in gray zone, but I'd bet a medium height would work just fine.

I know this isn't what you asked, but you ought look at Talley one piece. They're easy to install and I've had very good luck with them.

You might also get away with Low rings, too. I've mounted several 30mm tube scopes w/ 44mm objectives w/ low 30mm rings and pic rails, but they've been on Remington or Remington clones.

That 44mm bell is going to be kinda right in gray zone, but I'd bet a medium height would work just fine.

I know this isn't what you asked, but you ought look at Talley one piece. They're easy to install and I've had very good luck with them.
Yeah, that's what it looks like. Going off of Leupolds scope chart, 44mm is right at the cusp of the medium to high transition. That said, I went ahead and gave their tech support a call. They told me to use Medium height rings with the Pic rail, so I will give that a shot and see what happens. It's hard to tell just looking at the pictures on the website, but the weaver style bases look like they may not sit as high/be as tall as the Pic rail, so maybe that's why the recommendation for using the high rings with the weaver style bases.

I've looked at the Talley's as well. And like the look of their QD rings. My only concern is since the rings are split vertically instead of horizontally, doesn't it make it more of a PITA to set-up your scope?

Last edited:
Yes, the vertical split rings can make it harder, in my experience. I don't know why, but it is easier to cause the scope to cant in vertical split rings as you snug them up. It just takes a little more tweaking, but once you get it right, it's a solid setup. A good set of bubble levels designed for scope mounting are worth the investment. Good luck.

Not sure if its too late, or if this will help, but I just mounted this same scope on an M70 not too long ago. 2pc DD base and med DD rings. The closet any part of the scope gets to the rile is still 1/4" gap (I just went and measured). Probably could have gotten away with lows.

I ended up going with Warne medium rings, along with their two piece aluminum weaver style bases. It’s a slightly lighter set-up than the one by leupold, and after watching one of Warnes installation videos, the installation doesn’t seem that bad. We will see how it goes. Now I just need to get another scope.

Well, after asking you all to help me decide on which Tikka Rifle to get for my new "mountain gun," I went a totally different direction and just placed an order for a Model 70 Extreme Weather. I didn't realize these weigh the same as the Featherweight models. I've got a VX-5 HD with a 44mm bell on it, but am unsure what scope ring height to get. I'm getting the QRW2 rings for sure. I just prefer to store my scopes separately from my rifles. When doing a search on the Leupold website using their "mount finder" tool, it tells me I need the high rings with the 2pc Weaver style bases. I plan however on using the "back country" Picatinny style rail as it's aluminum weighs about 1/2 as much. It will also allow me to adjust for eye relief more easily considering the VX-5's somewhat short tube.

My issue however is that though the "mount finder" says to use high rings, their ring height chart calls for medium rings. I'm a little confused as to which height to use with their Picatinny rail. If the Pic rail is the same height as their Weaver mounts, I'd assume high rings as their mount finder suggests. Going off the chart though it looks like I'd need medium.
Let me know how the gun shoots and what you think about the fit and finish on it.

Medium height should be fine. Don't know if the "medium" height will be the same for all ring manufacturers tho. The VX5-HD is a hefty scope. I had a rifle that seemed pretty light as far as carrying, but once I plunked the VX5-HD on it you could really tell the difference in heft.

Medium height should be fine. Don't know if the "medium" height will be the same for all ring manufacturers tho. The VX5-HD is a hefty scope. I had a rifle that seemed pretty light as far as carrying, but once I plunked the VX5-HD on it you could really tell the difference in heft.

Yep. I put one on the exact same set up as the OP and the gun became a tank. I didn't care for it at all actually. I now have a VX3i on it and it changed the feel completely.

Yep. I put one on the exact same set up as the OP and the gun became a tank. I didn't care for it at all actually. I now have a VX3i on it and it changed the feel completely.
I've wondered about that. VX5 weighs 1.2 lbs. My EW weighs just over 8.5 lbs with that scope. That said, I've been contemplating a Swaro Z5 which weighs just under a pound. I'm intrigued by their 4 setting "ballistic turret." I guess it’s their take of Leupold’s CDS system. I wonder how the glass compares to the HD glass in the VX5. The leupold has pretty nice glass for what you pay for.

Last edited:
I've wondered about that. VX5 weighs 1.2 lbs. My EW weighs just over 8.5 lbs with that scope. That said, I've been contemplating a Swaro Z5 which weighs just under a pound. I'm intrigued by their 4 setting "ballistic turret." I guess it’s their take of Leupold’s CDS system. I wonder how the glass compares to the HD glass in the VX5. The leupold has pretty nice glass for what you pay for.

Agree on the glass. Vx3i included. I’ve not ever had a problem in legal shooting light in 25!years of Leupold ownership of various models through the line.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back