Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Winchester .350 Legend

beagle001

A quick search with no results showed this hasn’t gotten much pub around here, and I hadn’t heard of it until tonight when a buddy told me about it. Very intriguing round, and a YouTube video with the Drury’s knocking down some big bucks with it definitely got my attention.

Anyone tried one out or have any good info on it? Seems kind of similar to a 300 Savage, but better ballistics.

The .300 Savage is right on the heels of a .308 in speed and power. The better cartridge to compare the .350 Legend to is the .30-30. They're very similar in speed and power for the different weights of bullet. My dad got me to look into the .300 Ham'r Wilson Combat came out with. I liked the idea so much I bought a barrel and built one for him and am working on building one for myself. It's also on par with the .30-30. There are several bullet options with the Ham'r which the .350 Legend seems to be lacking so far as a lot of the bullets are a one off design.

If you live in a straight-wall state it might be a good choice. I'm leary of the AR platforms with the .350 Legend chambering. It looks like there's had to be a lot of work done to ensure the straight wall case will feed right. Time will tell. There has also been a lot of bad marketing put out there about this round trying to make it seem better than it is. Do all the research you can and make an educated decision. Hodgdon has some load data posted so you can see some real velocity numbers albeit out of a 24" barrel. Hopefully someone that has one will post some information. Let us know what you come up with!

A dealer friend of mine has handled and shot a couple. He really likes the round, for close-range deer. It is a pretty neet package and I hope it hangs around. It seems to me, like he said that he had shot them in the Ruger American(?). Just guessing here, as I have not looked into it. He saw some deer killed with it and was impressed. He said that he lack of recoil was impressive.

Last edited:
Don’t believe all of the Winchester hype. It is likely a decent round, but not the “be all, end all” that Winchester is claiming. Some of its advertised velocities are from a 24” tube if I recall correctly.

One hunt I have done every year for about 30 years is in Ohio. Its a walk in hunt in the National Forest.
Coming from mostly hunting nonrestricted states I hated the restrictions in Ohio. I always wanted to be able to use
a lighter weight (7lb scoped)bolt action rifle with a 22 inch or shorter barrel and low recoil. Shots in the timber there are well under 100 yards with most under 50. If the 350 Legend is produced in rifles that check those boxes I think it might be popular with hunters there. I might be interested myself. Outside Ohio I have no interest in it for myself. That all said we killed a lot of deer with our slug guns.
Let me say this, if Remington produces a Model 7 in 350 Legend I will probably own one.

I've been looking at it and if I was going to get a straight wall it would probably be .350 . I just can't justify it, or any of these other straight wall rifles. They don't seem to offer anything I can't accomplish with my muzzy or 20 ga. slug gun with a rifled barrel. If straight walled would have been an option when my youngest was first starting out I would probably have bought one.

The way things are going here in Iowa center fires will probably be legal soon anyway. NOT something I support but that's the way the wind is blowing.

I've been looking at it and if I was going to get a straight wall it would probably be .350 . I just can't justify it, or any of these other straight wall rifles. They don't seem to offer anything I can't accomplish with my muzzy or 20 ga. slug gun with a rifled barrel. If straight walled would have been an option when my youngest was first starting out I would probably have bought one.

The way things are going here in Iowa center fires will probably be legal soon anyway. NOT something I support but that's the way the wind is blowing.
I cant justify it either at 57 years old but if theres a rifle I want
I somehow always do. I have two rifled slug guns, 44 ruger carbine, 444 marlin lever and an Encore ML. All capable for a 3 day hunt in Ohio a year. LOL. Nobody said this hobby made any sense. I will probably let a few other guys take the plunge first.

I've been keeping an eye on it. I'm not buying one in the near future. I tend to be wary of new rounds. I'll wait to see if it really lives up to the hype. Anyone remember the 224 Valkyrie, or the 300 Whisper, the 32 Federal Mag? Oh, I know they are still around but they are all relatively new rounds that just didn't catch on.

I could imagine one of these suppressed would be quite the fun little rifle. Longevity scares me right now (it would have been awesome if they would have kept it to the same diameter as the .223Rem case) but I suppose as more states allow these types of rounds they'll probably stick around. Ammo availability will be key to its long term success.

Interesting is that Winchester spec'd the .357 bullet and not the rifle standard .358. I bet the reloading guys are having luck with .358 bullets which should be a bit tougher.

I've seen the hype on the 350 Legend, and from I can find Winchester skewed a lot of the information it put out there on this cartridge. Honestly, if and when I decide to purchase a straight walled cartridge rifle, I will go with the 450 Bushmaster, a much better deal with it, and with Ruger making a short barreled rifle in that caliber it'd be hard to beat.

350 legend basically copies the 357 maximum ballistics in a rimless design. Only advantage is it will work in mags and bolt actions easily.

Big down side....it’s uses proprietary .356 bullets....same dia as 9mm. This means winchester controls all the heavier hunting bullets for now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back