Caribou Gear

Win Pre 64 Gibbs info

Addicting

Hello everyone, I have a friend who inherited his grandfather’s gun collection. He wants to build one of them into a modern rifle for himself in 280ai.

The question comes in which action to use and which ones to sell to finance it.

He has: 3 early 50’ pre 64 Winchesters with custom stocks. The stocks are more art than practical that his grandfather made. He will be keeping those and selling barreled actions.

1. 270 Gibbs
2. 30 Gibbs
3. 300 H&H ( considering finding a used original stock to sell with)

And he also has a Husquavra 240 Gibbs that we don’t know much about.

His grandfather was quite the hunter and actually used one of the Gibbs to take the Wyoming state record elk back in the 60’s.

So this build is going to as much of a sentimental build as practical. Using the 280AI and Win Action keeps his Grandfather’s wildcat feeling going but allows the gun to be fit for the Grandsons needs.

I’ve cross posted this to try and find out as much as I could.

Thanks Tony

I agree with Ben.
Why not keep the as is and spend some money on reloading supplies and hunt with the 270 and 30 Gibbs. Both are just as capable as a 280AI.
Also he could buy a nice stock that fits him and put one of the barreled actions in it. Most stock companies inlet for pre 64. An Echols legend stock would be a perfect fit.

If I were you I'd tell him that it's sacrilegious to tear down a pre-64 and turn it into something else. Then have him buy a different action to mess with.

not just sacrilegious but it might even be illegal---probably not---- but maybe it should be lol

Seriously as jv842, calhunter805. and Ben have said---very unique and very adequate hunting rifles. That 300 H & H, probably has --300 Magnum--stamped on it----love it! and the 240 Gibbs Husquavra--dont do anything to her with the possible exception of letting her hunt again

Respectfully submitted

Realistically, from a collector's point on view, it sounds like only the 300 super is worth more than the cost of the action. Modifying the stocks, re-chambering the barrels, etc, reduce the collector's value. Custom guns like you describe are generally not top-dollar fetching items unless they are unique or finished in a best fashion. We'd need picks of the firearms to better judge the value and collect-ability of them, but simply by virtue of those rifles being pre-64 Winchesters does not mean a premium is always achieved.

As a donor action, they'll certainly fetch more than a Remington 700, etc, but you won't be looking at 5 figures. The Gibbs chambering as well can be problematic for reliable feeding and loading, and it's a specialized wildcat that isn't necessarily in favor and can be difficult to fire-form cases for. The nice thing about Gibb's chamberings is that you'll be pushing 270 WSM & 300 WSM velocities in a standard action using 270/30-06 brass.

If you want to sell them, you're better off leaving them intact, and being very selective in the buyer. These are surely fine, custom rifles that have a unique history. Some folks still pay for that. I'd be surprised if you'd get more than $1000 per rifle though. The 300 H&H won't work for the 280AI due to the bolt face being too large. The other two would work, as would the Husqvarna.

Ben, have the Ackley, Gibbs, Newton, Whelen stuff all fallen out of favor ?

He liked those reworked Husqvarna Mauser actions-- have they also fallen out of favor ?

My thoughts about the 300 H & H was mostly and simply because it has been one of my favorite calibers through the years and if you find one manufactured by winchester in 1950 it might have 300 Magnum and their logo stamped on the barrel -if it is one of those , it might be worth keeping as they didn't make a lot of them --but again a lot of my reasoning on this one is my love for that particular caliber.

I just thought of another difference between now and then. There was a lot of cheap 30-06 ammo around, the cases for the Gibbs might not be as easy to come by now or as cheap anyway.

However, I might be remembering incorrectly--it is happening more and more these days. I really hate old age lol

Ben or anyone ?

I spoke with him last night again.
I suppose I should mention he is 50 years old. He has had these guns for the last 20 years in the safe. He is to the point of his life he is a grandfather and he wants to use them. He took one of them on a elk trip recently and didn’t enjoy hunting with them as they currently are. He actually left his at camp and took mine L.A.W rifle.

He has decided to sell the 300 H&H and use the money to have the 270 action built into a modern sporter. I support his decision to do this and it is his decision to make. I am simply seeking advice on how to best do it as I don’t want to screw it up.

If you have any recommendations on a good Winchester gunsmith That can do this gun justice please let me know. I don’t want to use my local one. He is good but doesn’t listen the best. This build is special and needs someone who appreciates what we are asking for.

Also we are trying to find a original stock for the 300 as he wants to keep the stock his GF carved. I also think that will help tremendously with the sale.

I wouldn’t tear one down unless it was a mess. I’m having a custom .264 win mag built on a pre-64 action right now, only because the rifle was already bastardized by someone else and turned into a hack job 300wsm. The action on the H&H is a tough one to come by. I was able to find one a few years back that had been turned into a 300 h&h ai. I had it rebarreled into a .375 h&h while keeping the original look. I would also be interested in the h&h if he sells it. Western Precision Rifles in Arizona is currently building my .264 if that is any help. He’s a world class gunsmith

I wish you the best and am drooling a little bit at the thought of the guns. I'm a huge M70 fan and someday will own a collector.

As long as he's set on doing a re-do on the rifles, I think it could be really cool if done right. You seem to be right on track!

I like your idea of working with someone who will understand and do the high touch quality work such a beloved heirloom requires.

My wife loves watching Judge Judy.....I think she wishes she had the freedom to look at someone and straight up and tell them they are an idiot, and acting the fool, but Mrs kansasdad wholeheartedly knows that Judge Judy is wrong wrong wrong when she says guns don't have sentimental values.

Yep, it’s kinda weird. I never met the man who originally had them. He was gone long before I was hunting and had became friends with Derek his grandson.

However on our trip with Cushman last year I got to learn quite a bit about the man. He was a Misonary Pastor who worked with the Crow tribe. We even stopped at his old church in Scottsbluf, NB oun our way back to MI. Now knowing about him and how these rifles were his 3 passion in life it brings some sense of obligation to him to see it done right.

Last edited:
Contact Lee Christianson in Baldwin WI. Goes by the handle Redneck on 24Hr campfire forum.
He is a M70 Guru and amazing gunsmith. He will get your friend setup and might even have a stock or know of one also.

It sounds to me like the collector value of all of them has been "destroyed" long ago. I'd pick either the 270 or 30 and run with it. You can't make the 300 into a 280, the feed rails, follower and bolt face are wrong. The action is also cut a the back to accept the longer cases. I'd leave it as is, or build a "long" mag cartridge on it.

IMO its not sacrilegious to build on a M70 action. You can pick up an pre-64 action for about $500-600 if you look around. You can find intact rifles for $700... The value has certainly declined over the last decade as people have made the move to SS and light weight over form/fit. Same goes for Mausers. Its pretty rare to see either in the field these days. I would go for it, so it at least gets used. As far as the Gibbs... total waste of time. I have few wild cats, and they really offer nothing over similar standard cartridges. They are fun, and neat, but practical... they are not.

Contact Lee Christianson in Baldwin WI. Goes by the handle Redneck on 24Hr campfire forum.
He is a M70 Guru and amazing gunsmith. He will get your friend setup and might even have a stock or know of one also.
I gave him a call, seems like a pretty decent straight shooter. Thanks for the tip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back