Wilks elk license

I hope that anyone who is complaining about this didn't vote for Gianforte. I met his appointee Tabor earlier this month, and after one minute realized the average hunter was in big trouble. You know that they will be bragging about all this private land they have "opened up" for the public, what a joke.

I hope that anyone who is complaining about this didn't vote for Gianforte. I met his appointee Tabor earlier this month, and after one minute realized the average hunter was in big trouble. You know that they will be bragging about all this private land they have "opened up" for the public, what a joke.
You are 100 percent correct on this point, Montana people elected this joker.

As a mostly independent voter, I did expect Gianforte to win, but by a much smaller margin than resulted. Even with Montana being a strong Republican state, it was a surprise to see such strong support for Matt Rosendale and Troy Downing. It's a real stretch to characterize either of those two as a "Montanan" in the formerly accepted sense. Times have changed.
For those who continue to bemoan the increase in more liberal attitudes of western Montana, stop and think about the wacko Republican ideology that is pervading every aspect of this state and morphing it into merely a memory of "the Last Best Place", especially with respect to hunting, wildlife, and wild places.
'Sorry for the political bent vent ... but it is the reality which has produced the Wilks' trophy elk licenses ... and likely will exacerbate the situation for a long time.

Here's an article that kind of shows the other side of the argument.

"Transferable tags allow landowners to capitalize on what they already own and have a right to protect: access to their land.".
But they don't own the wildlife.............

The article says the bill that included transferable tags was shelved for now, anyone in the know as far as future chances of this happening?

Last edited:
The article says the bill which included transferable tags was shelved for now, anyone in the know as far as future chances of this happening?

The director if Fish, Wildlife and Parks has said that HB 505 will be coming back. Given the push from PERC & now UPOM publicly for transferable tags, we will likely see a return of the landowner set asides as the "compromise" between fully transferable and status quo.

So plan on at least 2-3 attempts for this in the next legislature, as well as the return of outfitter set-asides too.

Where have you been? The duly elected powers in this state have created the political climate that resulted in this debacle. Electing the FWP Commission at this juncture would merely add to fuel the fire burning down viable wildlife management and the historic Montana public hunting legacy.
Ballot initiative to get the power back into fwp hands.
Good to see more people moving towards the #EndtheFWPCommission train.

So, you would prefer the authority and power be solely in the hands of the Governor and his appointed director?!
Solely in the hands of the FWP agency as a whole. You know, the whole agency full of people with wildlife and biology degrees.

Could you imagine a Governor like GG appointing a bunch of profit driven ranching for wildlife/privatize wildlife advocates to the commission that can carry out that same agenda even after he's no longer Governor?

Solely in the hands of the FWP agency as a whole. You know, the whole agency full of people with wildlife and biology degrees.

Could you imagine a Governor like GG appointing a bunch of profit driven ranching for wildlife/privatize wildlife advocates to the commission that can carry out that same agenda even after he's no longer Governor?

He's already done that. Tabor, Robinson, et al are those folks. But that's part of winning an election, or losing one. THrowing a 100 year plus system out that works because we dislike the current occupant of the 2nd floor of the capitol is a bad idea, regardless of which party is in charge.

Reinforcing the public's right to guide and steer decisions however, is a much better approach, and one that the power brokers & elitists will absolutely hate. Eliminate the legislature's role in budgeting, reform title 87 to remove the political micro-management and get back to making comments matter in decision making will do far more to right the ship than abolishing a necessary commission.

Let's take a set of highly contentious issues that determine the fate of a publicly owned resource, and instead of letting the trained professionals be the drivers of decision making, let's get some politically appointed people who have truckloads of bias and political motivations and no professional training, and then let them make all the decisions.

Sounds legit...

He's already done that. Tabor, Robinson, et al are those folks. But that's part of winning an election, or losing one. THrowing a 100 year plus system out that works because we dislike the current occupant of the 2nd floor of the capitol is a bad idea, regardless of which party is in charge.

Reinforcing the public's right to guide and steer decisions however, is a much better approach, and one that the power brokers & elitists will absolutely hate. Eliminate the legislature's role in budgeting, reform title 87 to remove the political micro-management and get back to making comments matter in decision making will do far more to right the ship than abolishing a necessary commission.
Can't work that well considering where MT is at today.

Where is the big pool of nonhunters in all of this? Is it even on their radar? As newsworthy as this is to us, does the nonhunting public even realize what is going on? I would think it might be one strategy to combat this type of behavior to educate the public. Even though they are nonhunters, they may have been or are closely tied to hunters and could possibly exert some pressure here and there. Especially if they are part of the press. Just a random thought!

Back