Wildfire management LTTE

You can't fix stupid.

Those people also clearly don't live in 300+ aqi for weeks on end. That's where leaders and decision makers to good choices to ignore those voices
I saw this yesterday and thought of this thread. To Nameless's point, making these decisions has got to be hard. The problem is still that you are Rx burning 350acres in a 25,000 acre forest. I'm sure it helps, but the scale of what is needed is immense. If you only get to RX 2,000 acres twice each year when conditions are right and the Colville NF is 1.5m acres then the math is tough. It all seems hopeless. I wish there was a solution other than looking like this getting the kids ready for school...

Screenshot 2026-10-10 at 8.10.31 AM.png

One is for 368 acres along Bracken Creek Road east of Republic. Another will cover 215 acres in the Kettle Range east of Sherman Pass and north of Highway 20. Two other burns totaling about 270 acres are planned east of Oroville on the Tonasket Ranger District.

 
Certainly more is needed, but if planned right the area burned provides places to use when wildfire breaks out that are more defensible. Gives fire fighters a better chance to gain control or limit damage.
 
Last edited:
I saw this yesterday and thought of this thread. To Nameless's point, making these decisions has got to be hard. The problem is still that you are Rx burning 350acres in a 25,000 acre forest. I'm sure it helps, but the scale of what is needed is immense. If you only get to RX 2,000 acres twice each year when conditions are right and the Colville NF is 1.5m acres then the math is tough. It all seems hopeless. I wish there was a solution other than looking like this getting the kids ready for school...

View attachment 419066

One is for 368 acres along Bracken Creek Road east of Republic. Another will cover 215 acres in the Kettle Range east of Sherman Pass and north of Highway 20. Two other burns totaling about 270 acres are planned east of Oroville on the Tonasket Ranger District.

There are other of potential solutions.

My parents participated in a NRCS funded project and had their land treated with masticators.

I know there's a lot of misconceptions around the cut it or watch it burn crowd, but more timber harvesting would be useful. I mean one of the reasons Canada can out compete us with timber is that they subsidize it. If we're going to be throwing 100's of millions of dollars at wildfires we could subsidize a lot of our own timber sales to be able to be competitive on the open market.
 
I know there's a lot of misconceptions around the cut it or watch it burn crowd, but more timber harvesting would be useful. I mean one of the reasons Canada can out compete us with timber is that they subsidize it. If we're going to be throwing 100's of millions of dollars at wildfires we could subsidize a lot of our own timber sales to be able to be competitive on the open market.
Canada doesnt auction public land timber harvest like the US. US could do the same but that would reduce USFS funding, which adds to the department’s problems. Canada also has fires. Lots of them.

You also brought up the point earlier that a lot of these WA fires are burning on the same spots as old fires. One of the Rx burns is surrounded by previous timber thinning projects. Time will tell if it matters. I don’t think it will help when fire conditions get bad. Timber harvest is fine. It won’t solve the problem.
 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
120,184
Messages
2,252,708
Members
39,107
Latest member
wkshaw
Back
Top