MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Wilderness Area montage

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
Where am I? Montana, sitting on a long ago burned down lookout tower ......
RMAAlGh.jpg

Same location, looking for an elk ....
RMfPLzc.jpg

Where am I? Montana, sitting on a long ago burned down lookout tower ......

Same location, looking for an elk ....

That used to be one of my favorite spots! I have packed a lot of meat off of that mountain. Unfortunately, that area has gone downhill big time over the last 15 years. The first ten years I hunted up there, I only occasionally ran into another local. Lately, it seems like there is a truck or six at the TH every day during the season. Also doesn't help that it is a favorite spot for a couple outfitters to take their successful elk hunters to shoot a 2 year old buck so they can go home with both tags filled. The mule deer seem to be crashing just about everywhere in western Montana. I still hike and hunt up there, but haven't seen anything to get excited about in many years:cry:.

A few from the good old days.
This was taken up on the peak in your picture to the right of your hat.

These are from a couple years ago.

Attachments

• 100_1203.jpg
    100_1203.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 4
Perzactly theat! Completely agree on the hunting from a dozen plus years ago to now. There is still the occasional bruiser mule deer but that's about it. I did put up a game camera about 10 years ago at a hard to get to pond (not the one over the ridge above your MD pose) about a mile WNW of the old tower and got a pile of shots including griz and a few good looking elk.

I have camped near that pond a couple times during archery season. I would spend more time back in that drainage if it wasn't the home of some of the worst alder patches I have ever had the misfortune to find myself in. It also happens to be right in the middle of the region of the wilderness where I have had the majority of my griz sightings and encounters.

Been wanting to add to this thread for a while now and I love seeing all of these pictures! Most of these were taken in the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness...Except the fish. Doesn't matter where they were taken👍

Looking over Crystal Lake with Index and Pilot in the background

Spogen Lake- 5 Different bears were seen on that opposite hillside this trip, including a Griz sow with two cubs.

Mt. Wood, the second highest peak in MT taken from Lake Wilderness (I believe someone posted a picture from the other side previously in this thread)

Looking down on Lake Wilderness (pictured above) from the Stillwater Plateau with Mt. Wood on the Left and Mt. Hague center

Taken from nearly the same spot as the previous picture: Mt. Wood left, Mt. Hague right, Wood Lake bottom Right

Queer/Castle Lake on Sierra Creek

Unnamed-Looking over the Sierra Creek Drainage

The wife with a nice Cutty- Somewhere in a wilderness area

Good friend Branden with a toad of a Brookie- Somewhere in a wilderness area

Keep this thread going, guys!

This thread inspired me to count up the # of Wilderness Areas I've been to. 15 not including WSAs. Unfortunately without scanning some hard copies I think I've exhausted my digital supply.

This thread inspired me to count up the # of Wilderness Areas I've been to. 15 not including WSAs. Unfortunately without scanning some hard copies I think I've exhausted my digital supply.

I love this thread! I have 17 on my phone, but I'm sure there are at least 1/2 a dozen more in photo albums from my childhood. This thread has inspired me to sit down with my mom and go through the family pictures and figure out exactly we were a huge stack full of pictures.

Man our country has some incredible places. Unless I'm missing something, Iowa is one of the few with no designated wilderness areas. No national parks or forests either.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back