Wild horses/BLM land

I'm very familiar with the issue. It's pretty much hopeless, so you might as well drop it.

You know it's hopeless when you can't get experts and Fed land managers to discuss the issue, or identify removal of feral horses as a goal, or officially listed as a problem. Horse activist have politicians and gov employees running with tail between legs. BLM doesn't even count funding for horse management as an invasive species. Wild horse and burro Act prevents any type of control other than permanent holding facilities. Meanwhile our gov gives mixed messages, on one hand lumping them with feral animals causing environmental damage, but on the other designating wild horse preserves and glamorizing wild horses at Assateague Island and outer banks of NC.

To scientist, it seems crazy and the solutions are pretty clear; you need to get the horses off the landscape one way or another. There's a human element of "horse love" for warm, cute and cuddly critters and it's real. You might think it's crazy, but it's absolutely real and not going away...., accept it. Hollywood and rich and famous glamorize the wild horse, Reno airport glamorizes the wild horse and nothing raises money faster than telling the rich and famous how these magnificent animals are being harmed. I doubt that activist want the problem to go away because it's a really good gig with money flowing like a river. Our Gov is scared from providing public information combatting the misinformation of horse activist groups, so you end up with a vacuum with only the radicals educating the public. You wouldn't believe the misinformation the activist put out there for public viewing while our Gov agencies are scared to even talk about it publicly. You can kill feral hogs all day long using a ball-ping hammer or dynamite, but don't even think of harming the magnificent horse. I agree they are majestic creatures, but it's still unsustainable on the landscape. Birth control is still limited to about two-year effectiveness. The development of more effective birth control is the only outside chance of any resolution.

What bothers me the most is how they want it both ways...., they want to say they are wild animals, yet you can't harm them. If they are wild, then there should be a hunting season.

I agree with a lot of the above, but important to realize that BLM doesn't have much decision making power in this case as WHBA is the law that must be followed. So it's really a matter of congressional action to update the act to allow better management. Also important to remember that many of the people who work at BLM don't agree with the policies, but just like other laws related to things like grazing, minerals or ESA, must follow the laws and policies that are handed down. Thus the conflicted messaging, as the science has advanced but the regulation hasn't.

This drought may remove a large portion, on the other hand People may release a bunch back into the herd, if they cannot care for the domestic animals.

it is a good example of humans picking which critters are worthy

Last edited:
I received a note asking me to respond to your post sir. I am unable to type for long but will give you a bit of information, albeit, limited.

The argument about them being "native" continues to rage on and in my humble opinion the answer is yes, no , maybe. Supposedly they were here first and then spread to Europe but were wiped out during the Ice age. Then the reverse happened. The Spanish brought them to N.A.

The "pens" are full and the adoption program is still in effect, but does not come anywhere close to solving the problem, BLM has had to lease long term pasture for them and a lot, supposedly 2/3rds of their budget is used taking care of them.

The Salt River project in Arizona seems to be working fairly well and for the most part more folks like it than not, but there are dissenters. I have not kept up to date on the specific situation regarding the wild horses in other states.

My personal view is they need to be controlled or they are going to endanger or further endanger deer, elk and antelope herds throughout the western U.S.
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I really appreciate it.

They are wildlife that need to be managed. Passive management practices that our federal government apply that do not allow for the taking of wildlife are wrong. The marine mamal act has is devastating fish populations. The migratory bird act , iv seen seagulls watching the ice go off lakes in interior ak.
Particularly in states that manage for sustainable allowable take of wildlife. And states rights to manage the wildlife in their state.
Public lands that are managed by 2 separate governments.
Horses could be providing a sustainable meat source to many folks along with more other wildlife being able to sustain. And more money for wildlife management.
More government has never been the answer

They are wildlife that need to be managed. Passive management practices that our federal government apply that do not allow for the taking of wildlife are wrong. The marine mamal act has is devastating fish populations. The migratory bird act , iv seen seagulls watching the ice go off lakes in interior ak.
Particularly in states that manage for sustainable allowable take of wildlife. And states rights to manage the wildlife in their state.
Public lands that are managed by 2 separate governments.
Horses could be providing a sustainable meat source to many folks along with more other wildlife being able to sustain. And more money for wildlife management.
More government has never been the answer
Our political system hinders the situation. Politicians aren't going to win elections touting how they worked to manage feral horses. It's the opposite, they would be smeared by activist groups and their photo would be associated with harming magnificent creatures and iconic symbols of the American West. No politician is going to jump on that sword.

I hope researchers can develop PZP (birth control) that's effective for five years or more. That's the only hope in my opinion. Now, two year effectiveness is the appx limit. Another problem is how to identify the horse that was treated five years ago and re-apply the PZP. It's a tough issue, but needs to be addressed for the health of our public lands.

Not backtracking to see previous posts, but BLM just announced some "emergency" roundups to Western States "wild" herds.

The horse groups are mobilizing, but I think the BLM will move forward. My opinion is split on roundups, but know they are needed on some scale.

Would be interesting if the horse fanatics faced off against the wolf fanatics. That would be an interesting matchup.

Here's a recent article on the subject. It seems well done; just laying out facts. Apparently BLM is doing more than I gave them credit for.

“Managing this horse population, including caring for captured horses, costs taxpayers about $100 million a year.”

I think it’s time for the horse hugger lobby to “pony up” and foot the entire cost + offsets to grazing allotments, habitat destruction, and native species displacements.

Here's a recent article on the subject. It seems well done; just laying out facts. Apparently BLM is doing more than I gave them credit for.

The contractor in the sand wash basin has stopped rounding up horses in the hma short of their target number but they are still working in the out of bounds areas. 2 deaths have been reported & the advocates are crying fowl.

The contractor in the sand wash basin has stopped rounding up horses in the hma short of their target number but they are still working in the out of bounds areas. 2 deaths have been reported & the advocates are crying fowl.
They will go back into the HMA if necessary, but the plan was to remove as many as possible outside of the HMA first.

ive shot horses and ive shot dogs but in my old age i like to see horses and wolves running around

You have horse problems we have deer problems. On government institutions deer population has been reduced drastically by darting with birth control.
I'd drive down 270 and see large herds in the late 90 into the early teens. A customer from NIST told me that the program has had a major effect.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back