Caribou Gear Tarp

Wild Horse Island Rams

I've fished around that island and had occasional views of the various wildlife. Pretty amazing history. The Salish Kootenai used the island to "protect" their horses, etc to reduce the typical horse theft from roaming tribes.

The one part that I'm curious about... I had the impression the rams needed and desired primarily rocky terrain to maintain their hooves... While the island has some rocky outcropping, what I've seen is mostly wild pasture type. Never walked the island so it could be completely different or my impression of their self maintenance hoof care is inaccurate.

Different angle of same sheep w/damaged horn .......

BR4z7fr.jpg

@Sytes yeah the island seems to be mostly pasture with minimal rocky outcrops. I assume that’s the primary reason none of the rams were broomed off.
Rams broom because their horns interfere with their side vision. Most of the rams due to similar genetics have the "argali" style horn configuration where the the middle pinches in and the tips flair out. This style doesn't interfere with their vision so they don't broom. The ram with the big chunk out of his horn could have sinusitis. Sheep like rock outcrops and steep bluffs because it makes good escape terrain from predators, something they don't have to worry about on the island.

how tough are the sheep to find?? We are making a trip to glacier and was thinking of catching a boat ride over to the island. Catch is we will have a 7mo old toddler with us so wont be able to do a bunch of hiking....

how tough are the sheep to find?? We are making a trip to glacier and was thinking of catching a boat ride over to the island. Catch is we will have a 7mo old toddler with us so wont be able to do a bunch of hiking....
The one time I visited the island my wife and I found a 200” ram within about 20 minutes of hiking around. The island doesn’t have a ton of real estate so you shouldn’t have much difficulty with some binos potentially to aid you. Highly recommend a visit for anyone that loves sheep. A surreal little afternoon experience.

Wow! Thanks for sharing your photos of such impressive rams!

Guy

The one part that I'm curious about... I had the impression the rams needed and desired primarily rocky terrain to maintain their hooves... While the island has some rocky outcropping, what I've seen is mostly wild pasture type. Never walked the island so it could be completely different or my impression of their self maintenance hoof care is inaccurate.

I think that has more to do with where sheep have been relegated to than where sheep can thrive in different habitats.

Either way, it’s pretty cool seeing them thrive there!

Back