MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Why my pack sucks: Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Exo, Seek, Mystery Ranch, Kuiu, etc.

Please select either the first or second choice, then select your current pack brand.

• I have tried multiple hunting brands

Votes: 308 50.2%
  • I have used just one hunting brand

Votes: 148 24.1%
  • Stone Glacier

Votes: 88 14.3%
  • Exo

Votes: 80 13.0%
  • Kuiu

Votes: 79 12.9%
  • Kifaru

Votes: 69 11.2%
  • Mystery Ranch

Votes: 213 34.7%
  • Seek Outside

Votes: 27 4.4%
  • Other Hunting Brand

Votes: 136 22.1%
  • Non Hunting Brand

Votes: 38 6.2%

• Total voters
Just ordered a MR Metcalf on sale from GoHunt for 399. Never dreamed I would spend that on a pack. Here is hoping I don’t find much to list on this thread about it.

Just bought a 2020 MR Pintler on GoHunt Memorial day sale..... for $360. Hoping its to my liking and all is well. Will post any issues if they arise.

Kuiu Pro 5200 (myself) and Kuiu Pro 3200 (wife)
All Trips my wife and I
- 7 mile hike and haul out of a Blacktail/camp
- .5 mile archery CO cow elk haul and a week and many miles hiking around with fairly light load
- 2 Bull moose packs in Canada of about 1 mile each, single trip with help of 1 other guy. Holy smokes this put the pack to the test with a legit 150-200# on my back with those skulls. Stupidiest thing I've ever done.
- Multiple lope pack outs
- Multiple deer camp and pack outs 1-3 miles common

The main CON I have for the pack is when you take the main bag off after hauling camp in, there is no way to just attach the topper to the harness nor a really good way to strap a quarter just to the harness. I have bungee cords and parachord and make it work but its not convenient. Wish they could have thought that thru a bit more. There is zero need to carry around a big bulky 5200 bag once my sleeping bag and tent is out of it....

I have run a MR NICE frame, didn't seem rigid enough under extremely heavy loads (80+ pounds). I also tried a couple SG frames, they just didn't fit my back and again weren't rigid under extremely heavy loads. With both of these packs my posture would change significantly when packing meat.

Kifaru Hunter Duplex frame, very rigid under weight and allows me to walk upright in good posture under extremely heavy loads. I'm not a fan of the strappy, pillow like bags, or the molle attachments, or the open side pockets on my Reckoning. But I do like that they are larger in diameter instead of height (unlike SG) for going through/under brush when hunting/hiking with a full pack.

Kuiu Pro 5200 (myself) and Kuiu Pro 3200 (wife)
All Trips my wife and I
- 7 mile hike and haul out of a Blacktail/camp
- .5 mile archery CO cow elk haul and a week and many miles hiking around with fairly light load
- 2 Bull moose packs in Canada of about 1 mile each, single trip with help of 1 other guy. Holy smokes this put the pack to the test with a legit 150-200# on my back with those skulls. Stupidiest thing I've ever done.
- Multiple lope pack outs
- Multiple deer camp and pack outs 1-3 miles common

The main CON I have for the pack is when you take the main bag off after hauling camp in, there is no way to just attach the topper to the harness nor a really good way to strap a quarter just to the harness. I have bungee cords and parachord and make it work but its not convenient. Wish they could have thought that thru a bit more. There is zero need to carry around a big bulky 5200 bag once my sleeping bag and tent is out of it....
When you say Harness are you talking about the suspension only or suspension/frame? You can remove the bag and use the Load hauler that Kuiu sells also. I also added some extra straps to the frame to help secure quarters.

When you say Harness are you talking about the suspension only or suspension/frame? You can remove the bag and use the Load hauler that Kuiu sells also.
Kuiu design doesn't have a traditional frame like a lot of backpacks. Their suspension and frame is all one system. Load Hauler? Not sure what that is or why I would buy some extra weight to haul in. When I remove the pack, there are numerous straps left on the harness but they are all loose ends (no clips male or female). Therefore I have no means to use them to attach a quarter. I literally have to take one from each side and tie a knot with them. Mine is now going on 8 years old so maybe newer designs have addressed this and why you have be confused with my problem?

I have an Eberlestock X2 which I like but it is well worn out. I had the Gunrunner, but it is too narrow IMO.

I have gone to a simple day pack from Walmart and I have a $70 aluminum pack frame with a shelf for loading out animals.

Attachments

• 20191005_124632.jpg
    20191005_124632.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 17
Alpz Commander lite (1 yr) was super squeaky and didn’t have anyplace for storage.

Mystery Ranch Cabinet (2 yr) was awkward when carrying any heavier rifles and the waist belt had no molle webbing to attach anything.

Eberlestock Dragonfly (2 yr) had floppy panels all the time and was heavy. Came with a detachable waist pack for a lid that I never used because of the weight.

Eberlestock Team Elk (1 yr) is not a very usable pack to attach big quarters to. Good at a lot of things, but not amazing for any one task. Best compromise pack for me so far.

Last edited:
I use a Eberlestock Just One and It has worked well and I like the gun holder, what I don’t like it’s empty weight. It is tough as nails and I have hauled some big loads from Montana to Colorado and Alaska

Have any of the Exo, Stone Glacier or Kifaru users experienced the pack being too “high”? This wouldn’t necessarily be a “suck” thing but I am currently looking at these brands and a friend has the SG Talus 6400 and he said after using it for 2 years one of his biggest frustrations is the height of the top of the pack sticks up too high and when going under trees it catches. He said he talked with the SG folks before purchasing and they sold him that it wouldn’t be much of an issue but it sounds like it is. I realize this is pretty subjective from person to person, but that is one of the reasons I’m looking to upgrade from my Kelly Cache hauler. It’s very bulky not only the height but the width too.

I emailed exo to see if I could use the short frame even though my torso length suggests I should use the tall frame according to their website. Their site says the torso height can adjust from15-23” so I was just curious if this will be an option.

Thanks for all the input so far, very helpful for those in the market.

Have any of the Exo, Stone Glacier or Kifaru users experienced the pack being too “high”? This wouldn’t necessarily be a “suck” thing but I am currently looking at these brands and a friend has the SG Talus 6400 and he said after using it for 2 years one of his biggest frustrations is the height of the top of the pack sticks up too high and when going under trees it catches. He said he talked with the SG folks before purchasing and they sold him that it wouldn’t be much of an issue but it sounds like it is. I realize this is pretty subjective from person to person, but that is one of the reasons I’m looking to upgrade from my Kelly Cache hauler. It’s very bulky not only the height but the width too.

I emailed exo to see if I could use the short frame even though my torso length suggests I should use the tall frame according to their website. Their site says the torso height can adjust from15-23” so I was just curious if this will be an option.

What’s too high for you?

Compared to a hyperlite or Barney’s those three packs are short.

Id say I rarely see any of those packs much over head height.

What’s too high for you?

Compared to a hyperlite or Barney’s those three packs are short.

Id say I rarely see any of those packs much over head height.

I guess I’m referring to the height of the frame/pack above the shoulders. Exo responded and said I can roll with the short frame with my 18” torso and use the frame extensions if necessary. Prly go that route. SG is out of stock of a lot right now.

My Kifaru Stryker doesnt stick up very tall at all. But when on multi day hunts I stick a duffel on the load-shelf for my gear and it can stick out quite a ways so its a good idea to have the bulk of the heavy gear closer to the frame and the light stuff in the stryker bag (which is not very big).I enjoy the one rig does all kind of setup. But I know some would prefer one big bag for everything. To each his own.

Kifaru offers 3 different heights. I have the middle of the road height and have no complaints.

Dana Terraframe since 1999: upgraded with an arcflex belt, which required shortening the magic wands by 1". Bought new for $99 when Dana was discontinuing them. Very happy under a bone-in moose hindquarter.
Dana Alpine (arcflex internal) since about 2008: sweatier pack than the terraframe, not as good with heavy load but still better than Kifaru. Bought used for $50. I once filled it bottom-to-extended-collar with loose moose to see how it would do with a really stupid load; distance was 1/4 mile on good walking riverbottom. Load had to be pushing 175lb, but it worked OK. Getting saddled up while alone was fun.
Kifaru ultralight: the narrow webbing vs other kifaru packs can be a PITA. Suspension is minimal as intended, and feels that way compared to the old danas.
Kifaru hunter: better than ultralight but not by much
Kifaru Tahr bag: not quite enough volume, probably OK if one wants to rely on inflatable sleeping pads, but once you're forced to beverly hillbilly a pad and other things on the outside of the pack, it becomes a compression strap cluster. I don't rely on inflatable pads, but that's just me.

Kifarus are for gear guys who like to accessorize and fiddle, in my opinion. I want to like them ($$$) but can't. The danas are no-nonsense and bomber. Easy to strap a rifle to: butt in the side pocket and compression straps holding it on. I have four times as much money tied up in two kifaru packs than the two Danas.

I use the Initial Ascent IK4. It definitely doesn't suck. It's the only pack I've owned, and I've used it on one western backpacking hunt.

Pro's:
Very comfortable, doesn't rub me raw anywhere.
Large lumbar pad.
Quiet, no squeaks.
Lightweight, carbon fiber frame.
I think it's 4800 ish cubic inches, which was large enough to hold 6 days worth of food/gear for our elk hunt.
I've hauled out several quartered out whitetails in this pack, but no elk yet, so I can't say how it will do on that end of it, but with 50-60lbs of gear loaded in it, it's very easy and comfy.
Initial Ascent customer service is awesome.
Made in USA.
Load lifters pull the pack nice and close to my back and transfers the weight to my hips.
It has a sort of hook on the top corners or the frame, which is great to sling a rifle, bow, or quarters onto.

Cons:
I wish it had a water bladder sleeve in the bag. I had my mother add it for me.
The stretch pockets on the sides & front are too thin, and stretch out without bouncing back. (This is on the older models, and the new models have an improved fabric I believe).

Love this pack, would buy it again

Mystery Ranch Metcalf Guide Light frame: 2 seasons

It is a really nice pack with the load shelf and being able to adjust with numerous compression straps. It also is very adjustable and between other brand packs and the other packs I've used in the military is it one of the better ones I've used. I have carried out a couple of whitetails with it and carried up to 100 lbs with it as comfortable as carrying 100 lbs on your back could be. You can strap your rifle along the side or you can pick up a kifaru universal gun bearer for under $30 and have that to use as well. The only thing that I don't like at the same time is the amount of compression straps can get a little busy with being all of the place but they can be folded up and not dangling all over the place.

I have a buddy that uses an Alps mountaineering pack and it is good for hauling meat and that's about it. He hates it and wants to buy a Metcalf. I know some others that have Kifaru packs and they love those as well. I think with just about anything else, it's personal preference. I used MR in the military and have good experience so I've seen no reason to switch bags and they are all expensive to boot.

Mystery Ranch Selway - overall, I really like the tri-zip and general simplicity of this bag.

My complaint is with the location of the zipper for the pocket on the pack's lid makes this pocket inaccessible if the two top bag straps are connected to the frame. You have to pop these two straps to access this top pocket and it could have been avoided if the pocket zipper was on the backside or top of the bag.

Back