Yeti GOBOX Collection

Why don't some people like antelope meat?

I think the field care thing has pretty well been covered . . . So, my wife doesn’t like it because she saw me take my first one apart, piece by piece, in the garage when I got home. She never actually tried it, but something about the look behind the curtain kinda scared her off.

Grilled up the the inner loins from my second antelope on Sunday while giving my seven year old a lesson on grilling. I asked if he wanted to try some - he said sure. He asked about a knife. I said, we’ve got a fork, no need for a knife. He proceeded to eat them both :( and then asked for more. :D

We just finished cooking up the second 10 lb package of lope meat. Doesn't really need tenderizer but I used some on it and meals turned out really well. Aging doesn't hurt either, we left some in the fridge for a good long while till it was visibly aged and that worked out nice, too. Sauteed in a little coconut oil with salt and pepper, yum!

I can't figure out why some people detest antelope meat. I don't have any pics of a fancy dish our any special recipe to tell you about but I ate for supper some very good antelope meat yesterday.
It started out with a couple hunts a few weeks ago for my daughter and I.
We both made very quick clean kills. No gut shots and or running for a long time building up adrenaline in the blood flow.
Next we were able to get the skin off and meat deboned quickly for cool down. Then we were able to get the meat in a freezer I haul with me on hunting trips. Meat was froze for a few days before I could get home and start to work on processing it. Once home I took a 120 quart ice chest and layered the bottom with ice, laid the meat on ice then cover the top of meat with ice. With the ice chest tilted and the drain open the blood and water would run out the drain at bottom of chest I left open. This way the meat wasn't soaking in it's own blood. After about three days I brought the meat in to cut it up like I wanted. I'm not very knowledgeable on the perfect cuts so I cut it up like I thought was best. But first I cut as much sinew, white junk, silver layer, and that slimey stuff off that I could. I cut slivers of fajita meat, small chunks of stew meat, steak slices etc. and had my ground pile. I wrapped each portion in in plastic wrap then a wrap in freezer paper labeling each package with date and cut. Before I made the ground I placed in freezer for awhile to kinda semi freeze. I friend told me it helped keep the meat from just mushing out of the grinder and getting all blood and soft, hope that makes sense. Well it seemed to work very good. I also ground up some regular bacon in the meat. Just for experment purpose I ground some with the larger holes and some with the smaller holes and marked it on the package so I will know which one I like best.
Before I put the ground meat in freezer I couldn't help it. I grabbed a cast iron skillet and fried up a couple patties. Just sprinkled salt and pepper with a little Creole seasoning. Came out delicious, the kids loved it too.
For supper I took some steak cuts from the hind quarter (again I really don't know the cuts and anotomy) and marinated a few hours in Dale's seasoning. Simply put on the grill until done. With some baked potato and salad we had a delicious supper. I honestly don't know how anyone can say antelope is not good.
One more thing might be worth mentioning. These antelope were killed in the prairie with no sage. It appears that their diet mainly consisted of prairie grass instead of sage. Not sure if that matters our not.

I think some people may be "afraid" out of ignorance.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back