Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Why did this euro turn yellow?

Magnum Sherpa

75738312-3D36-4AD8-96E4-1DB8EFFAF440.jpegI had this euro done by a “professional” who uses a beetle cleaning method. When I got it back in spring 2019, the skull was very white, albeit stinky. Fast forward to now and it no longer smells, but it has yellowed significantly. It is still white under the areas that he glued (no clue why he did that). Do you think I could just use some peroxide paste to rewhiten it? I definitely won’t be taking anything back to this person again. For a charge of $165 I was expecting a little better quality. This definitely wasn’t the “museum quality” he advertised.

I’ve only done a few of my own euro mounts so have basically no knowledge. But the little research I did mentions it can yellow of you skinned the skull and it sits more than a day or two before boil or beetles. I think I heard you need like Acetone or some sort of paint thinner to pull the oils out. Check out Whitebone Creations on YouTube. That guy is a miracle worker. He gets the yellow oil out of greasy skulls like hogs and wolves.

Last edited:
It can take a while for skulls to yellow from the grease/oils in the skull. You can degrease and then whiten them again, which is what I would do here. It’s pretty easy to do.

Last edited:
To me, it looks more like he put a finish on it that is yellowing, or a chemical process from something he used. Nothing wrong with gluing the "seams" as those skulls can become pretty fragile after cleaning... especially if shipping one.

Yeah it doesn't look like a bad degreasing job. It's too uniform throughout the skull. I would say it has something to do with the way he finished it. Try contacting him. I would be a little hesitant to use peroxide on it, as it may react with what ever he put on it.

Looking at the turbinates and nasal bones, I have suspicions that he boiled that and did not use beetles. Also looks to me like he put some kind of clear poly or something on it that is turning yellow. Doesn’t look like grease. I agree, you might have to paint it to restore the white at this point.

Looking at the turbinates and nasal bones, I have suspicions that he boiled that and did not use beetles. Also looks to me like he put some kind of clear poly or something on it that is turning yellow. Doesn’t look like grease. I agree, you might have to paint it to restore the white at this point.
100% agree, boiled and looks like he used elmer's glue or something like that to hide his crappy whitening job and then that yellowed as it aged/was exposed to light.

I'd soak it in acetone for a week or so and see if that will break down the glue, then re-whiten with vol 50 peroxide.

Thanks guys! I will try contacting the taxidermist to see what he recommends first. Based on what I’ve heard of others’ experiences with him, I have a feeling it might be an unsatisfactory outcome. I had a suspicion that he boiled it, but I hoped I was wrong since “beetle” is in the name of his business.

Thanks guys! I will try contacting the taxidermist to see what he recommends first. Based on what I’ve heard of others’ experiences with him, I have a feeling it might be an unsatisfactory outcome. I had a suspicion that he boiled it, but I hoped I was wrong since “beetle” is in the name of his business.
Happens, I had a taxi in Denver say he was going to use beetles and then macerated the skull instead.

At this point I wont use a taxi for euros, prices have gotten stupid especially as you can do it yourself with surprisingly little effort.

Looks like some sort of chemical reaction with whatever whitener/degreaser was used. Look at the pedicles, you can see a "soak" line, its white above that. ALso under the glue it was protected from either UV or air so it didn't yellow. I would think it should be yellow under the glue if it was saturated with grease. Also I wouldn't say it was a degreasing issue because they tend to be blotchy and yellow in areas where more grease is found, or can penetrate. ,

May also be a reaction with the degreaser and the whitener, either way... I'd call the taxi, and be prepared to paint it, cause there is no way to get it white again.

There are a few places doing "bronzing" or metalizing of skulls. They look really cool, and that may be an option. Another option is a fake skull or a replacement skull and cut the antlers off.

Looks like some sort of chemical reaction with whatever whitener/degreaser was used. Look at the pedicles, you can see a "soak" line, its white above that. ALso under the glue it was protected from either UV or air so it didn't yellow. I would think it should be yellow under the glue if it was saturated with grease. Also I wouldn't say it was a degreasing issue because they tend to be blotchy and yellow in areas where more grease is found, or can penetrate. ,

May also be a reaction with the degreaser and the whitener, either way... I'd call the taxi, and be prepared to paint it, cause there is no way to get it white again.

There are a few places doing "bronzing" or metalizing of skulls. They look really cool, and that may be an option. Another option is a fake skull or a replacement skull and cut the antlers off.
Those are good options. I might also just skull cap it and have it mounted on a plaque with a nice leather covering over the skull plate.

Happens, I had a taxi in Denver say he was going to use beetles and then macerated the skull instead.

At this point I wont use a taxi for euros, prices have gotten stupid especially as you can do it yourself with surprisingly little effort.
This is the first one I’ve been unhappy with. I had some done through Steve’s in Arvada when I lived there. Also had one done last year by Skinner’s Skull Shop in WY. They came out awesome. The upsetting thing about this one is the taxidermist had glowing recommendations. I’ll see if he offers any options to me to fix it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back