Why all the 6.5 CM hate?

7mm-08 is not as powerful as a Creedmoor why would you even recommend that. I’ve got a buddy who has a friend who killed a moose with a 6.5, no reason to go 7mm.
How do you figure the 7mm-08 is not as powerful as the creedmoor? The 7mm-08 will shoot the same weight of bullet faster than a creedmoor which generates more energy. The 7mm-08 case is larger.

His buddy has one and killed a moose with it... :unsure:
I guess 😂. Geez people, the 6.5 creedmoor has less case capacity than a 260 rem. The 260 is a necked up 243 win, a necked down 7mm-08 or 308. The creedmoor is not some mythical unstoppable force. It’s a small, short action, 6.5 caliber that will be out run in velocity and energy by the 260 Remington, the 7mm-08, and the 270 Winchester. In fact I can stuff more powder in my 25-06 and outshoot a creedmoor.

How do you figure the 7mm-08 is not as powerful as the creedmoor? The 7mm-08 will shoot the same weight of bullet faster than a creedmoor which generates more energy. The 7mm-08 case is larger.
His buddy has one and killed a moose with it... :unsure:

I am just out fishing to see who will bite, figured that would be pretty good bait on this site.

I had one and turned it into a 260AI. My wife and kids still shoot one. It’s a good deer sized cartridge. Not my first choice on big game anymore.

News hasn’t said anything cause it’s classified, but my cousins, sisters, ex boyfriends, uncles, ex-step son, used to be in the coast guard, and he knows some people who know some people, who say it’s what the U.S. used to kill that dude from Iran....not a drone like they’re sayin....

I was a hater till I won one at a banquet. Now I cant keep enough bullets and powder on the bench. It’s a really fun caliber. Actually sold my 270 to work on my 6.5. It’s also affordable to shoot (unlike some of the “big” stuff). I’ve been getting it done with “small or underpowered” equipment my whole life😜 Cracked this buck at 325 with the CM this season.4993B9BF-26FA-412A-9B18-45F18EB85500.jpeg

I go back and forth and back and forth between the 7mm-08 and the 6.5 creedmoor for my son's first real big game rifle. I would like to get him a really nice rifle he will keep and cherish the rest of his life so I've been in a paralysis by analysis situation for about a year now trying to decide and figure it out. It doesn't help that he is left eye dominant so I'm looking for a left handed rifle. Still leaning toward the 7mm-08 just for the added ft/lbs of energy and using it as an all around rifle from antelope to elk. I have been reading these 6.5 creedmoor threads with interest but haven't quite gotten there for elk yet although there have been some threads posted showing folks with good success with the 6.5 creedmoor on elk.

I used to lean toward the 7-08 but I’m changing my mind. I didn’t hunt much with my .308’s and when I did, I just used my match load. I could fit one in the chamber and one in the mag because the first one didn’t go down into the mag well. That was 4-5 years ago. This year I loaded to magazine length for the first time, and even with 155gr VLDs they SOAKED up case capacity. A 7-08 will be even worse. Any high BC 7mm bullet is gonna have to be seated very deeply. Next, off the top of my head, factory twists in a 7-08 are probably only good up to 168gr. If that’s the case, it will be offering you very little if any increase in energy over the heavier options in a 6.5CM, and all can be shot with a factory rifle. With same weight bullets, the 6.5mm bullet will have a higher BC than the 7mm bullet. There are hunting bullets up to at least 156gr in 6.5mm that can be shot in a 6.5CM. The shorter CM is also better capable of handle those long bullets without giving up as much.

You could always wait for the 7CM.

I think the ammo everywhere you go advantage will tilt heavily toward the 6.5CM in the long term.

My buddy built a 6.5 in the AR platform. It is on the AR-10-type frame, though. On a standard AR, you are correct.
An AR-10 is a MUCH larger platform that was designed for the .308Win, and can be found any of the large bolt face short action cartridges. The 6.5CM will fit it perfectly well, a good friend of mine had one, but the 6.5CM was not designed to fit an AR-10.

I guess 😂. Geez people, the 6.5 creedmoor has less case capacity than a 260 rem. The 260 is a necked up 243 win, a necked down 7mm-08 or 308. The creedmoor is not some mythical unstoppable force. It’s a small, short action, 6.5 caliber that will be out run in velocity and energy by the 260 Remington, the 7mm-08, and the 270 Winchester. In fact I can stuff more powder in my 25-06 and outshoot a creedmoor.

Lies, all lies. A 6.5 cm 140gr is easily up there with a 300 win mag in terms of knockdown power. It will blow elk clean off their feet. I have seen it............ok I didn’t see it but a guy told me about it and he didn’t seem like the type to BS someone. Creedmoor is French for super sniper killer bullet.
I stepped up to a 6.5PRC and let me tell you what, 1/2 inch groups all day at 1500 yards....if I do my part. I was in Wyoming unit 1 hunting antelope. Just so you know there was 85 inch goats everywhere. I literally vaporized a goat, nothing but the 87 inch horns and four hooves left.
Anytime I shoot something no matter what gun or round I used, I yell CREEDMOOR it pay homage!!

Lies, all lies. A 6.5 cm 140gr is easily up there with a 300 win mag in terms of knockdown power. It will blow elk clean off their feet. I have seen it............ok I didn’t see it but a guy told me about it and he didn’t seem like the type to BS someone. Creedmoor is French for super sniper killer bullet.
I stepped up to a 6.5PRC and let me tell you what, 1/2 inch groups all day at 1500 yards....if I do my part. I was in Wyoming unit 1 hunting antelope. Just so you know there was 85 inch goats everywhere. I literally vaporized a goat, nothing but the 87 inch horns and four hooves left.
Anytime I shoot something no matter what gun or round I used, I yell CREEDMOOR it pay homage!!
Bet the hydrostatic shock was incredible. mtmuley

News hasn’t said anything cause it’s classified, but my cousins, sisters, ex boyfriends, uncles, ex-step son, used to be in the coast guard, and he knows some people who know some people, who say it’s what the U.S. used to kill that dude from Iran....not a drone like they’re sayin....

Wow! That makes me a believer in the 6.5 MB! Did you see what it did to that guy's car? Definitley a Dangerous Game cartridge! ;)

baghdad-airport-strike-02-rtr-jc-200103_hpMain_16x9_992[1].jpg

Oh, it’s a killer for sure!! I’m only gonna say this once.....if you ain’t shootin a 6.5CM.....you ain’t a sniper ol son!!!

Oh yeah. the .300 PRC is gonna make the Creed look stupid. mtmuley
I heard from a Hornady rep that if 10 people fire off their .300 PRC at once the damage would be equal to nuclear bomb going off. I wasn’t suppose to let that news out. I just want you guys to choose your hunting partners carefully and for the sake of humanity don’t all shoot .300 PRC’s. Throw a .308 in or something.

Last edited:
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back