Who’s using a suppressor on a 300 prc

king13

I’m curious about putting a suppressor on my 300 prc. Iv got the browning recoil hawg on it right now and it shoots like a dream. I’m going to be buying a suppressor for my 264 win mag I had built and may try it in there. I’m curious about the recoil on it with a suppressor. I know it won’t be like it is with a muzzle brake but I’m just curious.

I don't have a PRC, but I put a ton of rounds through cans with a few lightweight 300wm and 300wsm. The can will really tame those cartridges down, its significant. My wife shot her 300wm, and now my even lighter 300wsm like it was a much lower recoiling rifle, better than a brake from my experience.

My buddy is running a Hyperion K on his fierce 300prc . It sounds great for it’s size and recoil is definitely manageable.

My son shoots his 300 PRC suppressed and loves it. A good brake will most likely reduce recoil more, but at the expense of a lot of noise. I prefer the quieter rifle report from a suppressor and the recoil reduction is still significant. Aside from my rimfire and 338 suppressors, I always buy suppressors that are 30 caliber magnum rated so that I can use them on a variety of rifles. My opinion, buy your suppressor rated for 30 cal magnums and you'll love it on everything down to your 223.

I don't have a PRC, but I put a ton of rounds through cans with a few lightweight 300wm and 300wsm. The can will really tame those cartridges down, its significant. My wife shot her 300wm, and now my even lighter 300wsm like it was a much lower recoiling rifle, better than a brake from my experience.
I have had the same experience

My experience with a TBAC Ultra 7 on magnum hunting rifles is that it's not in the same ballpark as an aggressive side baffle brake when it comes to reducing total momentum of recoil. The can does reduce the sharpness of recoil but the recoil impulse is still a lot longer than with an effective brake.

Some measured numbers with a 9" can compared to brakes in this article. https://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/07/13/308-muzzle-brake/

Also following, I too have new gun with a browning Recoil Hawg and would like to know how it compares to throwing a suppressor on instead

Any update?
Big fan!

On my Ridgeline, recoil is less with the factory brake, but I actually shoot better with the can - the noise from the brake just gets to me after 10 rounds. Scoped, loaded, with can my PRC is just under 9.5 pds and have no problem shooting an extended shooting session with it. At the same time, not something I’d start my kids out in either.

POI shift between the two is a consistent 1.5 MOA at 100. Easy enough to shift zero between the two.

Big fan!

On my Ridgeline, recoil is less with the factory brake, but I actually shoot better with the can - the noise from the brake just gets to me after 10 rounds. Scoped, loaded, with can my PRC is just under 9.5 pds and have no problem shooting an extended shooting session with it. At the same time, not something I’d start my kids out in either.

POI shift between the two is a consistent 1.5 MOA at 100. Easy enough to shift zero between the two.
Same type of boat for me. I can’t stand the brake but it’s a brute without it. I shot it twice the other day with no brake and put it away. Came home and put the brake back on it.

I’m starting the process of switching to a suppressor.

Same type of boat for me. I can’t stand the brake but it’s a brute without it. I shot it twice the other day with no brake and put it away. Came home and put the brake back on it.

Step down in cartridge maybe? mtmuley

Honestly, it’s worth it.

I have two rifles threaded for it, plans for a third to be threaded, and will thread a 4th when it’s time to rebarrel. Not threading everything, some rifles are sacred as is, but everything else is on the suppressor train.

Step down in cartridge maybe? mtmuley
How else would I take the long shots I’m not allowed to talk about on here. Lol

When I’m hunting it has the cap on the threads and I don’t notice it. When at the bench it is not pleasant without the brake. If no one is around it’s not bad. If anyone else is there I just don’t pull it out of the case.

I know this is an old thread but in case someone searches. I have a light rifle in 300 PRC (Christensen Ridgeline FFT) and I run it with a Q Trash Panda titanium suppressor and it makes a massive difference with recoil and (clearly) noise. I actually never shoot it unsuppressed (except seeing POI change when sighting in)

Last edited:
Well, pulled the trigger today on a Thunderbeast Ultra 7. Looking forward to next summer.
Best piece of shooting equipment I’ve purchased. Have another that should be here end of this month. It has helped my kids learn to shoot so much better. The noise bothers her worse than the recoil does. I don’t think I could keep her stocked with ammo if I let her shoot as much as she wants to
351D0B59-FE7D-4B5D-9800-9C9B3F7A43C8.jpeg

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back