Who's shooting a 284 win?

chevyman181

A buddy of mine recommended I rebarrel my 280ai to 284 win when I rebarrel it. I was wondering why anyone that is shooting the 284, chose it over any of the other 7mm cartridges out there? And if anyone had any experience elk hunting with the 284 win. Did watch a shoot a moose in AK with one of a video one time.

I'm planning on it. I have a 23" carbon fiber barrel on order from x-caliber, going to put it on a Savage 110 Ultralight receiver. It might be a while, but I'll keep an eye on this thread. I'm planning on it being a backpack gun for deer, primarily, up to elk-size game.

Traded my brother a 300 win for 280 rem. This gun is tack driver. I use it for antelope, bear, elk deer.
I have shot 3 elk with it, 50 yards is the farthest any of them have run. Great gun!

Why is your friend suggesting you go from 280 AI to 284, and what do you think you will gain?

I can think of a couple of possible reasons. If you have a Tikka action, I would suggest going with a 284 so you don’t run into COAL issues. I have seen Lapua 284 Win brass in stock more often recently than I have seen Peterson 280 AI brass.

Had a 6.5x284, when that barrel was toast I screwed on a straight 284 barrel. For me, I knew it would feed and I already had a pile of Lapua brass so it was a simple choice. I like it, nice round. About tops for me on a rifle I want to shoot very much in a sporter weight rifle. Mine is on a long action with plenty of mag length.

No flies on the 280 or 280 a.i.. I think I've shot maybe a dozen elk with mine and a bunch of other game. It isn't lacking. I wouldn't own one if I didn't load.

A buddy of mine recommended I rebarrel my 280ai to 284 win when I rebarrel it. I was wondering why anyone that is shooting the 284, chose it over any of the other 7mm cartridges out there? And if anyone had any experience elk hunting with the 284 win. Did watch a shoot a moose in AK with one of a video one time.
I shoot spec 280AI and 284. My 284 is build long action so can seat out max 3.300". I had gunsmith order same barrels length/twist for both and he build 284 first then spec 280AI.

The 280AI been shooting 175gr ABLR and 284 160gr AB and use both for hunting.

I hope your friend gave you good reason.

I shoot spec 280AI and 284. My 284 is build long action so can seat out max 3.300". I had gunsmith order same barrels length/twist for both and he build 284 first then spec 280AI.

The 280AI been shooting 175gr ABLR and 284 160gr AB and use both for hunting.

I hope your friend gave you good reason.
Pretty much just that the 284 was more forgiving on load development. If I've done my research property, seems the 284 is between the the 7-08 and 280ai?

I'm curious too, as to why your friend recommended the 284 Win over the 280AI.

The 284 Win was made to duplicate 280 Rem velocities in a shorter cartridge.
So barrel lengths being the same, you'll have slower velocities with the 284 Win vs 280AI.

I have both a 280 Rem and a 284 Win.

The 284 i built on a Mauser action.
For hunting the cartridge is fine. Nothing magic about it.
The one issue i do have is i didn't spec the freebore.
With the standard SAAMI chambering the freebore is looonnngg.
Mostly to do with the types of rifles Winchester introduced the cartridge in.

F-Class shooters like the 284 for several reasons.
1) fits the length of the shorter actions.
2) enough case volume to push heavy bullets with decent velocities.
3) reduced recoil vs a magnum
4)good BC numbers with the 7mm bullets.

Pretty much just that the 284 was more forgiving on load development. If I've done my research property, seems the 284 is between the the 7-08 and 280ai?
This is old post about 284.

I haven't noticed any difference in load development between my spec 280AI and 284. I'm using Peterson 280AI brass and Lapua 284.

This is Win history 284. https://www.ballisticmag.com/winchester-model-88/

All my hunting rifles are build on long actions and after building 6.5x284 Norma OAL 3.228", I decide to try 284 on long action.

This is old post about 284.

I haven't noticed any difference in load development between my spec 280AI and 284. I'm using Peterson 280AI brass and Lapua 284.

This is Win history 284. https://www.ballisticmag.com/winchester-model-88/

All my hunting rifles are build on long actions and after building 6.5x284 Norma OAL 3.228", I decide to try 284 on long action.
What bullet are you using with your 284?

Seems a lot of F-Class guys like the 180-190gr weight bullets.

One short range bench rest guy i shoot with is running 183gr.
Why at 200 yards, i dunno, but he is. Holding his own pretty well against the 6mm guys.

A bullet going 3000 fps doesn't care how it got there, what powder propelled it, what barrel you used, what fancy stock you have or your choice of scope. If velocity is your top concern then stay with the .280AI.

I'm having a .284 custom built right now on an old 98 Mauser action that I've had for years. I chose the caliber because it's perfect for a Mauser, low recoil, and a bud of mine has a long action GA Precision that's an absolute tack driver. I shot an antelope with it once. He's shot lot's of critters with it over the years including some big elk. I don't think you can go wrong with a .284, but neither would you sticking with the 280ai.

Since OP is going to replace 280AI which is long action and there maybe be some problems on feeding 284 case. I never did consider it a Hazzel but that the unknown.

"A buddy of mine recommended I rebarrel my 280ai to 284 win when I rebarrel it."

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back