Who's cell phone?

dustyhunter

I figured I'd better tell the story before ELKDIESEL tells it!! After a call from ELKDIESEL to see if I wanted to go up for a quick run up the hill in pursuit of a bull he had seen, and agreeing to go, we discussed a few topics and making arrangement to the possiblity of no attendance to work if we happended to connect on a bull, he told me cell phone service can be found in some areas and taking the phone up in case I needed make a confirmation call that I would not be making it back (BBD). After a few more topics the conversation ended and the next thing I knew I was at his house the next morning ready to tie a bull to a tree for him. After a quick ride to the location of the elk we began an run up the hill to the entrance point and commenced an easy slow "high alert" walk down a road the elk have been up and down. After a few minutes we heard a bull chuckling close by. Darn wind was not helping but we stay put to listen as we had a differance in opinion on his exact location and hoped our scent had carried over him in the wind. After another minute we heard, at exactly 6:30am "brrrring, brrring, brrring, brrring". What the..... who forgot to silence their phone? I have never taken a phone with me before while archery elk hunting and I did put it on silence. The I-Phone has an override for alarms and since the phone is new to me I was not aware that would happen. The worst part is I could not get the zipper to slide so I could open the pocket and shut it off and it kept on ringing. Man, that sucked!! No more cell phones hunting. That is why I never took them before. Anyway, I wanted to tell my side before the story grows and I never hear the end of the "never ending alarm". Thanks for the good times ELKDIESEL!!!

Last edited:
LOL and OUCH! My Blackberry does the same thing...even when turned off. I still take it, but now I turn the alarm off. I've had it go off, but never when an animal is close. Better luck next time.

I'm sure you will remember next time.

I had a friend have his pager go off when a coyote was coming to the end of my shotgun. Coyotes dont like that sound.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, although funny, I wouldn't wish it on anybody. You did about all you could do and have a sense of humor about. Other than that, lesson learned....Case closed.

I put Doc, a new hunter in a stand about 200 yards from mine. Everyonce in awhile I thought I could hear the faint ringing of a phone, but just chalked it up to my old ears ringing. After dark, I caught up with Doc, and asked if he seen anything, nope, nothing. I told him I had a couple little ones headed his way, surprised he didn't see them. Then it hit me, I asked if he had his cell phone turned on, "yup, how else you gonna talk on it". Seems he spent most of the afternoon talking on the phone, with people calling him.
He is one of them real smart guys, a doctor, and a good one, but he has no common sense.
We have a ladder stand in his backyard to practice from. He said he was very profiecient out to 25 yards, and was going to start practicing at 35 yards, but he just hated moving that ladder stand all the time. I laughed, his wife said, he does, it takes him an hour to move the stand. DOC, why don't you move the target its on wheels!! You ever see me move the stand? He said "Yup Whiskers, that would be alot easier"

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back