Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Who is still hunting?

We can hunt deer here in PA during the late season from teh day after Christmas through teh middle of January. We have our primitive ML season (flintlock only), late season archery and special regulation area hunts (areas where deer are overpopulated, doe only hunts). Just enough variety to keep me busy
biggrin.gif

I do not know how many of you guys have ever used a "flinch lock" but they are fun. Once you get used to protecting teh powder in the pan and changing it several times during the hunt they are surprisingly reliable. If you use just enough powder in teh pan to ignite the charge (not a big heaping mound
eek.gif
) the lock time is not that bad.....less chance to "flinch" lol. It is also fun to track them in teh snow. They tend to jump up from their beds at 20-40 yards out or snow and just stare at you for a second or so....like they are amazed that any humans are stupid enough to be out in the cold weather! Anyway, it gives you a chance to get a shot off before they bolt...at least some times

Late season archery is TOUGH. The cold makes it hard to sit in a treestand for any duration of time. But it is still probably teh best way to get on a trophy buck in the late season here IMHO.
biggrin.gif

I have a few Special Regulation tags in some rifle areas, so I will probably take my old savage 99 out and chace some does around to. Like I said......just enough variety to keep me busy. And I have ALL WEEK OFF!!!!!
biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back