Who here is a .308 Winchester hunter?

Yeah, we all know it's very fast to kill big animals so it's such a big game catridge .

There are no three o eight hunters here… only seven odd eights round here on this here forum…

There are no three o eight hunters here… only seven odd eights round here on this here forum…
Now, Tom has to HUNT for Tom's "perfect" THREE-OH-EIGHT rifle. That's the real challenge, not taking home the bagged and tagged deer. Should I patiently soldier on for a minty example the elusive Savage Model 99 or the "Holy Grail" Husqvarna Model 3000 Crown Grade or break the bank for a new Browning BAR Safari Mark II? Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Now, Tom has to HUNT for Tom's "perfect" THREE-OH-EIGHT rifle. That's the real challenge, not taking home the bagged and tagged deer. Should I patiently soldier on for a minty example the elusive Savage Model 99 or the "Holy Grail" Husqvarna Model 3000 Crown Grade or break the bank for a new Browning BAR Safari Mark II? Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Well Tom Tom, there's only one way to decide. You have to create another thread and put it to the vote. You can tell us the pros and cons of each rifle to help us decide. For the minty elusive Savage Model 99, for example, a con might be that it's hideous, but a pro would be that you could drill a bunch of holes in it to lighten the weight and make less of it, or that if you cut the barrel down to about 8" you might be able to reload it by spinning it around like Arnold Schwarzenegger did the Winchester 1887 on the motorcycle in Terminator 2. And then, after everyone's had a while to vote, you can tally them up and complain that the winner doesn't cost $38 like it used to.

Well Tom Tom, there's only one way to decide. You have to create another thread and put it to the vote. You can tell us the pros and cons of each rifle to help us decide. For the minty elusive Savage Model 99, for example, a con might be that it's hideous, but a pro would be that you could drill a bunch of holes in it to lighten the weight and make less of it, or that if you cut the barrel down to about 8" you might be able to reload it by spinning it around like Arnold Schwarzenegger did the Winchester 1887 on the motorcycle in Terminator 2. And then, after everyone's had a while to vote, you can tally them up and complain that the winner doesn't cost $38 like it used to.
ugh-damnit.gif

Cartridges get overthought a great deal these days. It's pretty simple with the .308 - there's not any one area in which it REALLY excels or stands out, it just does everything very well.
Yep, the .308 is the "half-ton pickup truck" of big-game rifle cartridges. The carpenter's hammer. So utilitarian. Just gets 'er done!

The 308 is my favorite hunting cartridge. I’ve taken whitetail, mule deer, antelope and a pile of elk with the 308 (including this year’s bull). There’s a lot to be said for an inherently accurate cartridge that uses less than 48 gr’s of powder - it’s a workman-like, low-drama round that kicks a little and kills a lot…

Last edited:
Ehhh. I've only killed one deer with a 308. Granted it was the only animal I've shot with it so maybe my sample size is too small?

Why do you think .308 is such a great American big-game cartridge?
A few years ago I inherited my Dad's 308 that he only used a few times because it couldn't hold zero....well some Leupold bases and a decent scope later and it was a killing machine but I have to admit I prefer my 7mm-08 they both work equally as well at the ranges I'm comfortable shooting

Last edited:
308 much like a 30.06 is good for anything in North America. people get fixated on the round vs actual skill and placement. Certain rounds can fit shooters better and do have better applications. I use a 308 in NY but out west use mags, for the sole reason that hunting starts at 200yds and not 50, and the drop and having to compensate for that drop is much less.

308 much like a 30.06 is good for anything in North America. people get fixated on the round vs actual skill and placement. Certain rounds can fit shooters better and do have better applications. I use a 308 in NY but out west use mags, for the sole reason that hunting starts at 200yds and not 50, and the drop and having to compensate for that drop is much less.
Agree on shot placement. I have only ever hunted with a 308. Last bull I took this past fall was at 182 yds through a keyhole opening in the aspens. He dropped where he stood. Last muley two weeks later was at 335 yds; put the round right behind the shoulder and took out both lungs. He went 45 yds into the brush and dropped. The buck in 2020 was at 225 yds in southwest Wyoming. Hit him low in the boiler room and took out the heart and one lung. He stood where I shot him for about 20 seconds and then just dropped. All three of these were with a 165 TBT. Devastating round that I can get 0.8 MOA accuracy with. Shot placement and high performing bullet works every time. With rangefinders and CDC systems on my VX6, compensating for bullet drop isn't an issue and my 308 is light and soft shooting. Can't beat that combination for high country Colorado hunting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back