Caribou Gear Tarp

Who has the best draw system?

tteel

I really think the Wyoming draw system is the best. I am sure it will ruffle some feathers but I wish Colorado would go to a general draw tag instead of OTC. I am not a wildlife biologist, nor do I know the populations of specific units, but why not spread the tags out more to increase hunter opportunity, increase satisfaction, while managing for quality hunts.

I really think the Wyoming draw system is the best. I am sure it will ruffle some feathers but I wish Colorado would go to a general draw tag instead of OTC. I am not a wildlife biologist, nor do I know the populations of specific units, but why not spread the tags out more to increase hunter opportunity, increase satisfaction, while managing for quality hunts.

Everything you need to know about CO's system right there and why it is the way it is.

I like PA's system for their elk hunts. For each year you apply and are not drawn, you get an additional 'ticket in the pot' for the next years draw. From there on it's 100% random draw. It's only like $14 to enter the lottery, (have to buy the tags when drawn) so they are generating a butt-load of revenue by keeping it cheap to apply.

I like PA's system for their elk hunts. For each year you apply and are not drawn, you get an additional 'ticket in the pot' for the next years draw. From there on it's 100% random draw. It's only like $14 to enter the lottery, (have to buy the tags when drawn) so they are generating a butt-load of revenue by keeping it cheap to apply.

But those odds... yikes, a CO resident has a 1/163 chance of drawing a desert big horn tag which is a straight lottery.

For the amount of elk PA has/tags they give out I bet they do raise a huge amount of money. It's awesome to see elk range expanding in these eastern states. Hopefully those odds will come down in the next 20 years as the herds grow.

1571949513516.png

it would depend on if we are talking about a a resident of the state or a non resident.

Im thinking as a non resident.
How do you define best?

State with most NR opportunity?
Colorado

Best quality of hunt for the price?
Wyoming, maybe Idaho

Best execution of the draw?
New Mexico

Most egalitarian draw?
Alaska

How do you define best?

Colorado

Wyoming, maybe Idaho

New Mexico

Most egalitarian draw?
Alaska
Whats your opinion of Idaho possibly going to a capped NR tag system? Should we start accumulating points now?

How do you define best?

Colorado

Wyoming, maybe Idaho

New Mexico

Most egalitarian draw?
Alaska
I'm with you on CO and WY and don't know enough about Alaska to have a opinion. But could you explain what you mean by best execution and why did you pick NM for that slot? Not starting a argument genuinely interested.

I'm with you on CO and WY and don't know enough about Alaska to have a opinion. But could you explain what you mean by best execution and why did you pick NM for that slot? Not starting a argument genuinely interested.

They just have a good user interface on their website, easy to follow system, and most importantly a very quick turn around. I think it was 28 days from application due date till results and you got refunds on your cc before the billing cycle closed. Having applied or hunted in NM, OK, CO, UT, ME, NH, AK, ID,MT, WY, KS, I just felt like NM held a complicated draw with lots of species in a manner that was straightforward. CO for instance takes forever to get you results back and it can be hard to figure out your unit code, Utah’s website sucks butt its hard to find anything and it’s all outsourced to a third party. I’ve had problems with WY, my wife’s account got duplicated when we changed addresses, Montana had to reissue practically everyone’s tag because they used crappy paper, Alaska has a few weird things where for a few hunts you have to report via mail even if you do it in person and can’t do it via web... etc etc.

Whats your opinion of Idaho possibly going to a capped NR tag system? Should we start accumulating points now?

Yeah it’s capped for elk, and for deer? Like bigfin I think everything should just be a straight lottery, everywhere.

Let be honest most folks in their 20s don’t have the money to apply all over but have the free time and lack of obligations to hunt a decent amount, that balance shifts as you get old. Most people will never be able to do more than 1 or 2 elk hunts a season. Do what hunts you can when you can and figure out a strategy that works for you, don’t worry about strategies that work for other people.

I got into the point game late so I don’t play, the last two years I had a good amount of vacation time and my wife was super busy and had no vacation time so I could use every day of mine hunting guilt free. Given this fact I chose to do some time intensive hunts that were OTC, and do them as cheaply as possible.

Only buy points if it’s a means to an end and that end is an elk hunt within a few years.

Yeah it’s capped for elk, and for deer? Like bigfin I think everything should just be a straight lottery, everywhere.

Let be honest most folks in their 20s don’t have the money to apply all over but have the free time and lack of obligations to hunt a decent amount, that balance shifts as you get old. Most people will never be able to do more than 1 or 2 elk hunts a season. Do what hunts you can when you can and figure out a strategy that works for you, don’t worry about strategies that work for other people.

I got into the point game late so I don’t play, the last two years I had a good amount of vacation time and my wife was super busy and had no vacation time so I could use every day of mine hunting guilt free. Given this fact I chose to do some time intensive hunts that were OTC, and do them as cheaply as possible.

Only buy points if it’s a means to an end and that end is an elk hunt within a few years.
I cant agree more. I do not have aspirations to hunt a super high end trophy unit unless its on a cow tag and I can enjoy the bugling and the number of encounters. I plan on hunting elk every other year between Colorado, Wyoming, and New Mexico. I also plan on doing more cow hunts than bull hunts. I am almost 38 years old and feel like I can never draw a high end tag. I would rather have experiences every other year than one every 20 years.

I cant agree more. I do not have aspirations to hunt a super high end trophy unit unless its on a cow tag and I can enjoy the bugling and the number of encounters. I plan on hunting elk every other year between Colorado, Wyoming, and New Mexico. I also plan on doing more cow hunts than bull hunts. I am almost 38 years old and feel like I can never draw a high end tag. I would rather have experiences every other year than one every 20 years.
Serious question where are people putting all these elk and deer racks?

Like I’m considering a cow hunt next fall simply because I legit have no place to put another rack. Like this years bull is probably going in a closest or my in-laws.
Big racks are sweet but they are not conducive to apartment life.
A cow hunt in one of the CO trophy units sounds like a blast.

Idaho. Not thrilled with the "up to 10%" as feel 20% is a number the Western states could establish so a balance is obtained between resident opportunity and non-resident opportunity with higher tag cost and higher average spend per hunt. Cap the non-resident license, application and tag fees at 5x resident fees. Have all fees rise or fall annually with cost of inflation. Well, I can dream.

You're probably gonna laugh, and maybe I've just been super lucky, but I gotta say TX! Super cheap, no NR cap, and good quality public hunts on a wide variety of non-traditional game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back