Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Who had a misfire this year?

Dinkshooter

Anyone? I'm I the only half wit? Still not sure how/why it happened and in the heat of the moment I left the entire cartridge there.

7mm Mag(The most powerful rifle cartridge known to man).

Mid life old brass, rifle was in some very crappy conditions up to 2 weeks prior. I'm for sure not a reloading expert by any means.

Next shot went bang.

Did you have a normal indent on the primer? The only misfires I can think of (except the one that had no powder) there was an insufficient strike due to the primer being seated too deep.

I had bought some cheap Winchester ammo just to break in a CA mesa. Was about a third of the way through break in when a shot sounded weird with my double ear protection. As in a only a primer fired weird. Worked bolt it was tight ejected spent round no bullet. Luckily I looked up the chamber and there she was lodged a few inches up the barrel. Put an end to that fun for the day. I don't know if the round had no powder or what the neck happened.

Did you have a normal indent on the primer? The only misfires I can think of (except the one that had no powder) there was an insufficient strike due to the primer being seated too deep.
In the quick second I looked at it, it was for sure not a normal indent, very light.

I have seen some misfires when it was supper cold. Oil and moisture in the bolt got so thick that the firing pin did not strike the primer with enough force.
I had been in some really cold wet conditions for a few days. Even took the rifle home for a night and was at standard home temps for a night as well. Next day, CLICK!

Probably a light pin strike. Maybe some moisture that was frozen.

I have seen some misfires when it was supper cold. Oil and moisture in the bolt got so thick that the firing pin did not strike the primer with enough force.
This is what I thought it was. Until some reloading looney friend of mine suggested I hadn't had the primer set deep enough.

It actually worked out well because it was a fairly long range shot for this wanker.

However, when the gun went click, I realized I still had the objective in the cross hairs and had not spanked it. The next shot was like butter.

Still have the what if's rolling through my pea brain.

Same thing happened to me this year. 7mm mag with cci primers. It’s the first one I have ever had with these primers. Ten years ago I used some Remington primers that every third shot was a dud.

My first guiding client did on an elk he had just gut-shot 15 minutes before, his rifle (a BAR) was gunky as hell when I checked it out and it was really cold out...very disappointing

I had one last year with federal premium trophy copper. No extreme conditions, hadn’t cleaned my rifle since zeroing, had a primer strike. Just unlucky.

Back