Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Whitetail Question - Shoulder Mount or No?

Bombsnbullets

First, I’ll be clear that I know very little about whitetail in general. I have done most of my hunting in the west with a focus on elk and mule deer. I was out yesterday looking for mule deer and a ended up taking a decent whitetail buck. I eventually would like to have a shoulder mount of each North American big game species and know what Size I want my elk and muley to be, but I’m clueless with whitetail. Not sure what constitutes a good buck.

Attachments

• 8C1E66D2-D009-4CC3-8B19-EE211E0C66C3.jpeg
    8C1E66D2-D009-4CC3-8B19-EE211E0C66C3.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 164
  • FB84F9E4-992E-40BB-BEE3-6BDCD998EE20.jpeg
    FB84F9E4-992E-40BB-BEE3-6BDCD998EE20.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 164
Depends on how much you'll get to hunt them. There are bigger ones, but there are much smaller ones as well. That is a very nice buck that would look good in a shoulder mount and allow you to pursue those other species! If you had a good time on the hunt, and it's a memory you want to remember, I would get the mount done.

Congrats!

At the end of the day it's all about how you feel about the animal. If you think he is worth a shoulder mount, then mount it!

For me personally, I would not shoulder mount that buck. I'd do a European, but I'd have to have a really nice buck to make it a shoulder mount personally. He has good mass, but at the end of the day not the tallest points which is why I wouldn't do it personally.

But again, all about how you feel about the buck!

(Also, nice buck! I'd shoot him any day!)

It's a beautiful buck. For me it would depend on the hunt. I have a couple nice whitetails on the wall but I'd trade either for the 7 pointer I shot with my Grandpa when I was 12 that few would consider a "trophy." If the hunt was one worth memorializing with a shoulder mount, go for it.

I would mount it. I live in WI and have hunted whitetails for over 25 years and fairly extensively for over 15 years. A lot of those years were on OK private land spots. Around here that would be an average 3.5 year old buck. Every year I’ll have a couple opportunities at 2.5 year old buck (which I usually always pass) but opportunities at 3.5 year old deer are few and far between. Maybe every 5+ years or so - for me anyway.

Not knowing how much you hunt or your opportunities, I’ll say it’s likely you’ll have to invest a lot of time and/or money to harvest something materially better. He’d be at my taxidermist right now.

Edit to add: Objectively, what will the elk and the mule deer shoulder mounts you want to have, score with respect to P&Y and B&C minimums? Score this buck and see how he compares to those standards.

And you’ll definitely need to spend a heap of money and/or time to get each of the NA 29. Mount this one and move on.

Last edited:
That’s a great buck that would be worthy of a shoulder mount, however, that is a very personal decision. Wiegh in what it means to you, how much space you have on the wall, how often do you get to hunt them and how often are you likely to kill one larger, how much do you have to spend, Etc. if you do a shoulder mount it, there is nothing keeping you from mounting a bigger one later! In addition to my regular day job I am a part-time taxidermist, I have done euro mounts on deer way bigger, and shoulder mounts on deer way smaller, there is no hard and fast rule as to what is proper. Personally, I have deer mounted of my own about that size but my largest buck scored 176 and is only a skull mount, go figure.

I asked a question sometime ago about how small of a buck would you mount, really out of curiosity. That's a decent buck. You won't see another whitetail in your travels anytime soon? Mount him up.

If you dont hunt whitetails often and your goal is to eventually have a shoulder mounted whitetail then I would do it. If you are going to be hunting often in an area that's crawling with 3.5+ year old bucks then I'd wait. You can always shoulder mount another bigger one later!

Thanks for the input everyone! While right now I don’t have plans to pursue whitetail, that could change. I am going to leave that spot on the wall empty for now, and maybe I’ll decide to pursue it down the road. I think he’ll be an awesome euro mount!

I would mount it. I live in WI and have hunted whitetails for over 25 years and fairly extensively for over 15 years. A lot of those years were on OK private land spots. Around here that would be an average 3.5 year old buck. Every year I’ll have a couple opportunities at 2.5 year old buck (which I usually always pass) but opportunities at 3.5 year old deer are few and far between. Maybe every 5+ years or so - for me anyway.

Not knowing how much you hunt or your opportunities, I’ll say it’s likely you’ll have to invest a lot of time and/or money to harvest something materially better. He’d be at my taxidermist right now.

Edit to add: Objectively, what will the elk and the mule deer shoulder mounts you want to have, score with respect to P&Y and B&C minimums? Score this buck and see how he compares to those standards.

And you’ll definitely need to spend a heap of money and/or time to get each of the NA 29. Mount this one and move on.
I should have probably been less general in that statement. I want to have a shoulder mount of the following:
-Elk (350+) RM or Rosie
-Mule Deer (200+)
- Pronghorn (Done)
-Bighorn Sheep (Any Legal Ram I see after a decade of point building)
- Mountain Goat
- Caribou
- Alaskan Moose
- Blacktail Deer
- Whitetail Deer
Potentially Sika & Coues

I hunted for years too get a decent blacktail to mount. I finally settled on a nice looking 3x3. Also the hunt was memorable so I mounted it. Of course a couple of years later I shot a better blacktail. I have taken a number of blacktail larger than my one blacktail mount but I am still happy with the one on the wall. If you are lucky enough to eventually shoot a better whitetail then you can make a decision at that time. For me my wall mounts are not my largest deer but they look good to me.

He'll look good in a euro. If you ever change your mind, you can always have him put on another cape.

If you are looking for a number like you have for the muley and elk, I'd personally say 150 plus or minus is a good general number to shoot for. I hunt whitetails in a good area, and that is a great buck where I hunt. Sure there are some much bigger, but they are hard to come by, and you're not likely to get one significantly bigger than that unless you are really trying for them. Getting something in the 150 range will usually put you in the 4.5 year old range or potentially older where I hunt.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back