Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Whitetail Chop Recipes

Pagosa

I got a whitetail buck by my house this year and he was rather well fed from the neighbors apples/plums and cropfields. I cut the spine in half and cut about six inches down along the rib cage leaving a rack of venison chops. I got four equal size pieces of about 5 lbs each. Does anyone have any good recipes for cooking a whole rack of venison chops/upper ribs? I like the idea of cooking on a open fire, but not sure how they would turn out. I appreciate any direction. Thanks, Preston

I would Google recipes for rib roast, which is the same style cut but beef. Id follow it pretty closely but stick a probe in it to closely watch my temp. (Cooked in an oven)

I wonder how the rock salt method for prime rib would work?

I would recommend treating it similarly to how you would a rack of lamb.

You mentioned the deer was feeding on apples and plums. That could make a fantastic marinade or base for a killer stuffing.

Lavender, sage, thyme, garlic and a good olive oil is also a great marinade if you’re planning on going the primal open fire route.

I also recommend the reverse sear method. Marinade or season your chops/rack however you want and place in a 275 degree oven until you hit 119 degrees internal. Then pull and hard sear on all sides and butter baste with some garlic and thyme.

Interested to see what you do!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back