Yeti GOBOX Collection

Which Week for Idaho OTC Mule Deer?

tomengineer

Hello all. I’m in my yearly analysis paralysis mode for the western hunt I’m planning for the fall and was looking for input. Most of the units I’m looking at are 10/10-10/24. Should I hunt the opener or hunt the second week with the hope of more rutting activity? Should I look for units with a later season? Some side questions for those willing to help a flatlander out in foreign territory:

1. What is the condition of US forest service roads in central Idaho? I realize that’s a general question especially depending on weather but my hunting partner and I are flying in and trying to decide on a van converted for camping or a couple of F150 4x4’s.

2. What elevations should I target for this time of year? Again I realize it is dependent on weather and temps but I saw my first live mule deer last year while on my first ever western DIY hunt (Wyoming antelope) so I can’t claim to be an expert on mule deer behavior.

3. Is it worth backpack hunting into the sawtooth/pioneer units to get an opportunity at a shootable mule deer? I’m going off TV shows and and anything Idaho fish and game has but a small mule deer looks huge to me (as an easterner)so I have no rack score criteria. Half the fun of these trips for me is the adventure. Am I biting off more than I can chew thinking my fiend and I can walk back along ridges a few miles and camp for a night and return to a truck base camp? Is that worth it for those who might have more experience than me?

Feel free to PM me if you’d rather not comment publicly. If you want to hunt a zero point unit in Wyoming for antelope I’d be happy to exchange information with you. Please see my post history for a recap of that trip.

I’d get a 4x4 for forest service roads. Yes, a van might work but you might be in a world of hurt if you’re caught in a snow storm.

Your other questions tell me you are going to have problems because you don’t understand mule deer. Go buy a few books by the pros - David Long or Robby Denning and learn about mule deer. They are not whitetails with bigger racks.

I’d get a 4x4 for forest service roads. Yes, a van might work but you might be in a world of hurt if you’re caught in a snow storm.

Your other questions tell me you are going to have problems because you don’t understand mule deer. Go buy a few books by the pros - David Long or Robby Denning and learn about mule deer. They are not whitetails with bigger racks.
Thanks for your response. I just finished Robby's book and have started Mike Eastman's. I'll be continuing my education most likely until the day we fly out. The hard part about these guides is they provide general statements like Mule Deer bucks stay at high elevation until the weather forces them to lower elevations or the rut does. Things like what is a high elevation, what is bad weather and when does the rut happen at a specific location? Hard to answer from a book but I'm doing my best to source information. I know Robby says backpack hunting is not necessary in most cases but again he's making general comments about mule deer hunting and not speaking to the region I'm looking at.

Now looking at the area I'm calling 10,000 feet of elevation high and 7,000 feet of elevation low but that's an educated guess.

Last edited:
Not to be overly pessimistic, but IME that is an extremely tough time of the year to find mature bucks in either Idaho or Montana. Weather will be a factor of course, but it will be tough regardless. If the October weather is looking to be mild, I would hunt the beginning of that window, and get as high as possible.

Backpacking would be a good idea if the weather is mild, but if you get up high in central Idaho, that weather can turn nasty in no time at all. Big snow will drop the deer (and elk). I would certainly recommend a 4x4 vehicle.

There are surely folks on here more expert in Mule Deer than me on this site. My experience with them during this period (between summer ranges and the rut), is that bucks will tend to isolate, and seek cover.

Not to be overly pessimistic, but IME that is an extremely tough time of the year to find mature bucks in either Idaho or Montana. Weather will be a factor of course, but it will be tough regardless. If the October weather is looking to be mild, I would hunt the beginning of that window, and get as high as possible.

Backpacking would be a good idea if the weather is mild, but if you get up high in central Idaho, that weather can turn nasty in no time at all. Big snow will drop the deer (and elk). I would certainly recommend a 4x4 vehicle.

There are surely folks on here more expert in Mule Deer than me on this site. My experience with them during this period (between summer ranges and the rut), is that bucks will tend to isolate, and seek cover.
Thanks for the input. Yes I think the idea of setting the general deer season dates for mid October is to limit your odds on harvesting by having the season prior to the rut. We are going to apply for controlled elk and deer hunts that happen in November but the odds just aren't great so this is our backup plan. Thanks for confirming the need for trucks. I think our plan is to get high and glass as that seems to be some advice I'm seeing repeated. It will be a learning experience for sure.

4x4 mandatory.

The second week is the toughest week. It just is.

If you can scout a few times during the summer, go high and opening day/week. Capitalize on your input.

If you cannot scout, find a unit that's open until 10/31 and focus on the last week. Having never killed a mule deer,
I'm sure a 3x3 or a young 4x4 would suffice. Which you can easily find in the low to mid country 10/24-10/31.
You will find the 2 and 3 year old bucks nosing some does those last couple days, every single year, in less brutal country.

Going high is very romantic and everyone wants to hunt the alpine and glass, like you see on youtube and in the books. But a lot of that high country
simply does not hold deer. Which can be detrimental to a rookies confidence, and a quest for greener pastures. While you could have went the last
week in the same exact unit and seen 100 +/- deer per day and easily found a buck that would make you happy.

Im from Pa and hunt Idaho also we have been their from early sept to early oct and have had 70s and 80s in early sept to 18 inches of snow overnight around sept 16th so plan for all weather esp mid october
wouldnt even think about it with out a 4x4 and chains get as high as you can with several back up plans snow will bring em down but some times the snow isnt their and some times it is

4x4 mandatory.

The second week is the toughest week. It just is.

If you can scout a few times during the summer, go high and opening day/week. Capitalize on your input.

If you cannot scout, find a unit that's open until 10/31 and focus on the last week. Having never killed a mule deer,
I'm sure a 3x3 or a young 4x4 would suffice. Which you can easily find in the low to mid country 10/24-10/31.
You will find the 2 and 3 year old bucks nosing some does those last couple days, every single year, in less brutal country.

Going high is very romantic and everyone wants to hunt the alpine and glass, like you see on youtube and in the books. But a lot of that high country
simply does not hold deer. Which can be detrimental to a rookies confidence, and a quest for greener pastures. While you could have went the last
week in the same exact unit and seen 100 +/- deer per day and easily found a buck that would make you happy.
Yes you are correct I don't have my heart hung on a trophy buck. I'd like to succeed on a legal buck and learn while doing it. Thanks for your advice on timing. That extra week seems to be a difference maker based on my research. As far as going high and glassing you busted me, that's exactly what I had envisioned based on youtube and the books I've read. I'm from upstate NY so unfortunately a summer scouting session won't be possible. I'm doing my best using onX and satellite images and trying to find what "looks like" good mule deer habitat. We'll see how close I was. Thanks again.

Im from Pa and hunt Idaho also we have been their from early sept to early oct and have had 70s and 80s in early sept to 18 inches of snow overnight around sept 16th so plan for all weather esp mid october
wouldnt even think about it with out a 4x4 and chains get as high as you can with several back up plans snow will bring em down but some times the snow isnt their and some times it is
Ok makes sense I've never been in this part of the country before so it's good to get some perspective on weather. Thanks for the advice.

The first week has some advantages but it’s more busy. Last year I found a bunch of big deer the second week. There was no one around in a fairly busy unit. I wasn’t at the highest peak or up in the rocks either. Upper mid elevation. There’s not just one plan even though I generally agree with what others have shared.

If you want to do the van, there’s some roads close to town that are flat and maintained more if you are really choosey and hike a bit more you could be fine.

The first week has some advantages but it’s more busy. Last year I found a bunch of big deer the second week. There was no one around in a fairly busy unit. I wasn’t at the highest peak or up in the rocks either. Upper mid elevation. There’s not just one plan even though I generally agree with what others have shared.

If you want to do the van, there’s some roads close to town that are flat and maintained more if you are really choosey and hike a bit more you could be fine.
Ok thanks. I think we are going to rent a couple of trucks. We are flying into Salt Lake and they had these camper vans with full beds in them that had us tempted but I'd rather be able to get out of the mountains than sleep on a better mattress. I'm not seeing any units with a closing date of 10/31 for mule deer so it's looking like the second week is where we are headed.

The later week might have more hunters if you're in an area where the elk seasons open on the 15th. I like to hunt the upper half of the mountains during that time, although the bucks can be lower. Most seem to be in the higher parts, although the sage areas around ag fields can have some good deer. Best to get away from the roads and 4x4s are a good bet at that time of year. I hunted last year during the last week and quite a bit of snow, even needed chains. You should be able to find deer in most areas, not too bad of winter yet.

The later week might have more hunters if you're in an area where the elk seasons open on the 15th. I like to hunt the upper half of the mountains during that time, although the bucks can be lower. Most seem to be in the higher parts, although the sage areas around ag fields can have some good deer. Best to get away from the roads and 4x4s are a good bet at that time of year. I hunted last year during the last week and quite a bit of snow, even needed chains. You should be able to find deer in most areas, not too bad of winter yet.
[/QUOTG
Good thought on the elk season I didn't think of that. The snow has me concerned as we'll be in rental vehicles that don't allow snow chains....maybe we'll have to get ATV's as well. Thanks for your help.

Keep looking, there are a few. However, don't post unit numbers.

For a NR that can't scout and doesn't have "local knowledge," the last week is the way to go.

I agree to some extent but the last week can also be real crowded in spots that animals are generally known to move through or hold up in. I’ve talked to a number of nonresident hunters who hit the last week of October and just couldn’t figure out how to lose people. All those units are some of the highest hunter densities in the state.

I agree to some extent but the last week can also be real crowded in spots that animals are generally known to move through or hold up in. I’ve talked to a number of nonresident hunters who hit the last week of October and just couldn’t figure out how to lose people. All those units are some of the highest hunter densities in the state.

+1 on being a nonresident who couldn't lose people during the last week. My unit choice probably didn't help, but I can attest to the pressure, at least in that part of the season. Frustrating to deal with for sure. If I were to go back for general rifle I would rather be earlier in the season particularly if snow was a concern, but that's just my opinion.

Good thought on the elk season I didn't think of that. The snow has me concerned as we'll be in rental vehicles that don't allow snow chains....maybe we'll have to get ATV's as well. Thanks for your help.
I never use chains and go places most people won’t drive. You should be good as long as you have good tires and bail before you’re trying to drive through 6”+ of snow.

I never use chains and go places most people won’t drive. You should be good as long as you have good tires and bail before you’re trying to drive through 6”+ of snow.
Yes, I wouldn't bother with chains or ATVs, you should be able to access much of the area with a 4x4 truck with good tires. If the snow is deep, hunting around the snowline should be productive. Just be prepared as you never know what the weather can do at that time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back