Caribou Gear

Which Week for Idaho OTC Mule Deer?

Central Idaho has a lot of smaller airstrips and several air charters that could get you away from the interstate. You might be surprised how economical it can be, saving on rentals, fuel, whatever.

The later week might have more hunters if you're in an area where the elk seasons open on the 15th. I like to hunt the upper half of the mountains during that time, although the bucks can be lower. Most seem to be in the higher parts, although the sage areas around ag fields can have some good deer. Best to get away from the roads and 4x4s are a good bet at that time of year. I hunted last year during the last week and quite a bit of snow, even needed chains. You should be able to find deer in most areas, not too bad of winter yet.
I second all of this advice. We have hunted those handful of days before elk opens, and we've seen people scouting for elk in addition to the deer hunters, but it's not near as many people.

And yeah, definitely use onx to get away from roads! Lots of ATVs in Idaho.

Central Idaho has a lot of smaller airstrips and several air charters that could get you away from the interstate. You might be surprised how economical it can be, saving on rentals, fuel, whatever.
Yes I’ve looked at these into the Frank Church and it was pretty reasonable price wise. Then I see posts saying there are much better units than the Frank Church or other wilderness areas. I’m not sure what is misinformation and what’s the truth. The idea definitely has my interest though.

I second all of this advice. We have hunted those handful of days before elk opens, and we've seen people scouting for elk in addition to the deer hunters, but it's not near as many people.

And yeah, definitely use onx to get away from roads! Lots of ATVs in Idaho.
Sorry which week were you saying has less people?

Yes, I wouldn't bother with chains or ATVs, you should be able to access much of the area with a 4x4 truck with good tires. If the snow is deep, hunting around the snowline should be productive. Just be prepared as you never know what the weather can do at that time.
Ok thanks we’ll give it a whirl.

Yes I’ve looked at these into the Frank Church and it was pretty reasonable price wise. Then I see posts saying there are much better units than the Frank Church or other wilderness areas. I’m not sure what is misinformation and what’s the truth. The idea definitely has my interest though.

For elk yes, mule deer - the Frank Church is a viable option.

I agree to some extent but the last week can also be real crowded in spots that animals are generally known to move through or hold up in. I’ve talked to a number of nonresident hunters who hit the last week of October and just couldn’t figure out how to lose people. All those units are some of the highest hunter densities in the state.

No doubt about it, I agree.

Had 5 trucks at the parking spot on the 30th when I killed my buck this year. But that’s because there’s a lot of deer in that country, weather or no weather.

No doubt about it, I agree.

Had 5 trucks at the parking spot on the 30th when I killed my buck this year. But that’s because there’s a lot of deer in that country, weather or no weather.
Maybe I'll play this strategy. Scout trail heads instead of trying to use aerial images and topo. Locations with the most trucks have the most deer.

Maybe I'll play this strategy. Scout trail heads instead of trying to use aerial images and topo. Locations with the most trucks have the most deer.

I don’t see this working very well. A lot of places will have many people just because the access is easy or close to town. There’s no shortcut. You’ll have to put the time in and learn an area.

I don’t see this working very well. A lot of places will have many people just because the access is easy or close to town. There’s no shortcut. You’ll have to put the time in and learn an area.
Yes, sorry I should've noted I was kidding on that one. I plan to highlight some promising spots as I see them and give them a whirl. Thanks

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back