Which to shoot: Young or Old?

thatsjet

I'm curious if anyone knows of data related to the benefits/drawbacks of taking bucks of various age in mule deer herds? I read somewhere recently a suggestion that taking younger bucks is preferable for overall herd health given that they may not survive anyway, and older bucks are already demonstrably healthy and fit for survival and propagation of the species.

If the goal of my hunt is just "meat"... all other things being equal, is it better for the herd's sake for me to take my shot at the younger or the older?

I drew a buck tag.

In that case, I would get an idea on what quality of deer you are dealing with in your unit and shoot whatever you're happy with. If its a trophy unit, it obviously wouldn't be the greatest decision to shoot a dink. Or maybe it would?

I'm curious if anyone knows of data related to the benefits/drawbacks of taking bucks of various age in mule deer herds? I read somewhere recently a suggestion that taking younger bucks is preferable for overall herd health given that they may not survive anyway, and older bucks are already demonstrably healthy and fit for survival and propagation of the species.

If the goal of my hunt is just "meat"... all other things being equal, is it better for the herd's sake for me to take my shot at the younger or the older?

Shoot a cow elk and leave the mule deer alone if you need meat, you wont be impacting the deer herd at all.

IMO, a healthy herd should have a cross section of harvest which, by the nature of both population dynamics as well as the opportunistic nature of hunters, will always see higher harvest in the youngest age classes of animals that are legal to harvest.

Even if you prefer to shoot an older animal, odds are that if your priority is "meat" then its pretty darn likely you'll end up with a younger animal that there are more of, that are more accessible, and easier to find.

Just aren't enough older age class animals around to satisfy the needs of "meat" hunters.

In an ideal world were you could pick any deer, I would suggest shooting a mature deer with less than desireable antler characteristics. Such as a large 3x3. The worst type of deer to shoot for meat in my opinion is the type that gets shot more often than any other. A young deer that has a bigger rack for his age than normal. I have to try really hard to congratulate a guy who describes his buck by saying “yeah he is only 1 1/2 but he is really big for his age.” I want those breeding!

Shoot a cow elk and leave the mule deer alone if you need meat, you wont be impacting the deer herd at all.

IMO, a healthy herd should have a cross section of harvest which, by the nature of both population dynamics as well as the opportunistic nature of hunters, will always see higher harvest in the youngest age classes of animals that are legal to harvest.

Even if you prefer to shoot an older animal, odds are that if your priority is "meat" then its pretty darn likely you'll end up with a younger animal that there are more of, that are more accessible, and easier to find.

Just aren't enough older age class animals around to satisfy the needs of "meat" hunters.
Great advice, and just what I needed. I got skunked on my Elk draw this year, but did manage to pick up a leftover tag for another unit that stretches from 10/10 to 12/31 so I'll hunt that as well whether I'm successful on the Muley hunt or not. I did talk to the biologist for the unit who said numbers are down overall for the last few years, mostly due to predation, so I guess I was wondering if the larger health/strength of more mature bucks would give them an advantage in that regard. SOunds like a tossup either way when energy reserves post-rut are factored in.

Thanks everyone... I'm learning a ton. You guys are the best.

Watch the Meateater episode where Steve and Brody hunt in CO. Bigger buck = more meat!

Most of your DFW's (Dept of Fish and Wildlife) in the western states manage Deer and Elk in various ways. Some management ideas center around allowing the larger/older herd males to propagate without competition, others value numbers of younger male herd animals to propagate and thus allow more trophy hunt opportunities. If you drew a tag for any buck in a specific Game Management Unit, the Biologist have done their duty at calculating animal populations based on that states management goals. If the population is NOT healthy based on the specific management goals of whatever state you are hunting the DFW will allow more, less or no tags at all to be given out. Private lands are an entirely different issue all together.

So what I am trying to say is: If you have a tag for Any buck, take a buck! If you hunt an area designated 3 point or better then there is a reason for that. You will not be able to take a buck with less than 3 points on one side. Look for a big boy!

Game management is not an exact science but most states have a pretty good handle on their populations and hunters play a huge role in that. On that note, aside from specific ethical issues or personal preference trust in your DFW/Game biologists that the tags handed out each year in a particular area +/- the success rate all play a part in managing herds/populations of deer and or elk. Specifically it's really not up to the individual hunter per say to have to take into account herd management (unless ethical or personal concerns play a factor).

Personally I am all about a younger Elk. 1 or 2 year old cows or spike elk are the best eating. Deer, specially Mule deer I always look for the biggest oldest, most mature deer I can find (More meat). o_O

Your best bet is to take any available Deer you see.There may not be an available Deer
again this year,or next or for 5yrs.Don't hunt for age /trophy's,hunt for meat and for
your sense of fulfilment.If you don't score that's ok,but I wouldn't pass a Deer because
he's only 3yrs. old. :cool:

In reality, your one deer will not make a difference. First hunt, take what’s legal and makes you happy.

Classic Prisoner's Dilemma and I appreciate the individual who is looking at the big picture. 1+1+1+1+1...+1......+1 - it adds up. I understand what you're saying and who knows what the impact is, but I can't help but respect the person who is thinking about the grand scheme, we don't have enough people in this country thinking that way. Especially not our leaders.

better to just shoot a doe

Back