Which Stihl Saw?

VikingsGuy

I have used a MS250 for years around the cabin. Worked great for clearing downed trees etc. A few times I have had to bring down standing trees that were too big for its 18" bar and I had to cut from both sides - not ideal but it worked.

Now I am going to be more routinely cutting down 15-24" standing trees as well as turning some into beams with a simple alaska beam mill. The 40cc of the MS250 ain't gonna cut it (pun intended).

I am sticking with Stihl, but am torn between the 391, 400 and 462. Any bigger and it will be too unwieldy/heavy for use away from the mill, any smaller and it will not be able to run a 25" or 28" bar and too little hp for mill.

What says Hunttalk?

I use a 361 and its 20" bar is too short for what you need. That said, most of the trees I cut are 26-30+" at the base. I don't mill, however. A longer bar is possible, according to the specs, but I think it would be underpowered.

I'm more interested in what you are going to do with that milled wood. :) Not a lot of big trees Up North. Are you looking at milling southern hardwoods?

I use a 361 and its 20" bar is too short for what you need. That said, most of the trees I cut are 26-30+" at the base. I don't mill, however. A longer bar is possible, according to the specs, but I think it would be underpowered.

I'm more interested in what you are going to do with that milled wood. :) Not a lot of big trees Up North. Are you looking at milling southern hardwoods?
Misc. sheds, outbuildings, picnic tables, etc. If I was going to do any more it would be a band saw. As far as trees, we have a bunch of 14-18" or so fir that need to come down due to beetle and they make decent "dimensional" lumber.

I’ve got an old 029 Super with a 20” bar and a 461 with a 24” bar. Both are great saws but the 461 is a powerhouse in comparison. I’ve got two buddies that own an Alaska mill; one uses a 461 the other runs a 660. Both handle it great, just make sure to use a ripping chain and keep it lubed. Unless you’re slinging it all day or packing it far I don’t think you’d regret buying extra power if you can afford it.

Most of the guys I see on running chainsaw millls are running 400 or 600 series saws. A few have mentioned that a good chainsaw mill starts at 80cc. Maybe they are full of it. I find interesting and then realize I have no money for a 661 saw, ripping chains, mill, etc...

Anyone run one of the new fuel injected saws like the stihl 500i?

Most of the guys I see on running chainsaw millls are running 400 or 600 series saws. A few have mentioned that a good chainsaw mill starts at 80cc. Maybe they are full of it. I find interesting and then realize I have no money for a 661 saw, ripping chains, mill, etc...

Anyone run one of the new fuel injected saws like the stihl 500i?
They are absolute animals! Worth every penny!

I run my Alaskan mill with both an 076 Stihl and 3120XP Husky. Both still run good. A 3120 feels like sitting on a Harley when you hold it at idle. Big fun when I did stock class cookie cutting. I filed the rakers off and let 'er bite. The Stihl has less displacement but I like it better on the mill. Ripping chain is the way to go.

For everyday here on our property I use a 361 Stihl with a 30 incher on it and a faster (bigger) drive sprocket. Most off the rack saws have 7 or 8 tooth sprockets. The 361 power head drives it fine, but you have to watch the tension. too tight and it lugs, too loose and it will throw it. The first thing I do with a saw is pull the homeowner "anti-kickback" chain and put full comp pro chain on. The 30 inch bar lets me buck up firewood without stooping over. The saw sits on my right hip and I buck wood with the bar tip. That fast a sprocket can get you in trouble fast if you are not experienced. Keep it sharp and tensioned right it works great .

@mtmuley is right- Saws like the 361 have electronic governing, that is why I use bigger sprockets to drive up my chain speed.

I file up 10 chains to start the season and I replace them often. I never file in the field. When those ten are dull, I sharpen all ten again.

Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back