Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Which States still have available tags?

mikey lo

I know most states have released the draw results but are there any of them out there that usually carry cow elk or doe or even maybe some last minute late bull or buck hunts not on a game or private ranch?

Assuming you are looking for non-resident tags, Idaho still has OTC tags for deer and elk in the Panhandle region. No cap on tags until the statewide non res quota has been met.
Harvest rates are somewhat low (jungle hunting) but some very big bulls are taken every year. Just stand still and a wolf pack will run an elk by you sooner or later.
Good Luck and Good Hunting
Lj

Many Midwest states haven’t started selling NR OTC doe WT tags. Also, even after some western states draws have happened, you can still pick up tags in a leftover draw for bull/cow and buck/doe, and sometimes even OTC when those don’t get snapped up

Like others have said there are several states that still offer tags/opportunities. The way to play the game is to be 2,3, or 4 steps ahead of the game before June. Every year you should be looking at each states draws dates, left over draws/tags, OTC tags, etc. If you don't plan ahead you may find yourself sitting at home during the hunting season. Lots of great opportunities out there every year but you have to do the research ahead of time. If you keep a spreadsheet of each states draw dates, draw deadlines, leftovers, OTC, etc you won't need to be asking these types of questions next year. Good luck...

Last edited:
I take it a step further and put the dates in my Outlook calendar. That way I get reminders. I only apply in 2-3 states, but between the regular draws and the antlerless, OTC, etc. across multiple species, it’s a lot to keep up with. I also put all the season dates in my calendar so I can more easily see how things overlap. As an example, in my home state of UT, I’ve drawn an early season rifle deer tag and was unsuccessful on LE elk. But we have upcoming draws for OTC elk and anterless deer and elk. Those app dates are in my calendar, as well as the season dates. If I’m successful on those upcoming draws, for five days I’ll be able to take either antlered or antlerless elk or deer. All in the same unit. I also have successfully drawn both deer and elk in MT and have applied for antlerless deer (general elk tag in the unit I hunt allows for bull or cow). That’s a 5 week season where everything overlaps. But having it all in my calendar helps me me easily determine when I want to be in which state. I got into the points game way too late, so I’m mostly doing general tags, and as such it’s not like I have a clear hierarchical priority for my hunts. It’s all about timing for me, so my calendar is how I prioritize.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichardMargarine
Back