PEAX Equipment

Which sheep?

When I killed my dall sheep in AK a few years ago, there were (4) rams bedded together. I shot what the guide and I thought was the best one, then at the shot the other three get up and I can now see that one is a good looking broomed off dude. Wish I'd have shot him.
I think the broomed off sheep are cool.

Oak,

I leave on August 6TH for my hunt out of Healy. This is my first hunt for sheep. I have gone thru this a thousand times in my head. Here is my answer on my 10 day guided hunt in the Alaskan Range.

I will shoot the first mature full curl ram I see, as long as it has some decent bases and not a banana ram. I have no problem capping off on a nice broomer too because they also have heavy horns, and look cool! Good luck with your hunt with Dan. Take lots of pictures!

Bryan

Owl, be sure to post pictures as soon as you get back so I can see them before I leave. :D Good luck...

BTW, I posted this topic after talking to Dan the other day, after he returned from a scouting trip. ;)

With Dan doing the judging...you may want to check out the "heavy ram broomed back to 37 inches".

Dan judged my ram at 37-38" and it was damn near 41 on the long side.

Given the situation above, I'd opt for the 40 incher that wasnt broomed if possible. Just the opposite on a bighorn, I'd shoot a broomed ram over one with lamb tips.

It must suck to have to make these kind of tough decisions.

Oak,

You must lose sleep at night with your 14c park permit. I have talked with a friend who bought the Governors permit back in 2000. He killed a booner ram after 21 days in the fiield with R and R Outfitters. Taped out at 174. Had it life size mounted to complete his booner sheep slam. Dan Montgomery is about is good as it gets as a sheep guide. Looking forward to some good stories on your return!

Bryan

Your friend isn't Dick Jacobs, is he? He bought the 1999 Governor's Permit and killed a 174 1/8" ram in the unit.

174" dall? I'd like to see a white ram like that on the hoof.

Hope you nail a real pig up there Oak.

Spotted you're at about 35 days for blast off?

I'm at 13 months before I head north for the white sheep. I'll be thrilled with any mature ram.

time flys

174" dall? I'd like to see a white ram like that on the hoof.

Hope you nail a real pig up there Oak.

Spotted you're at about 35 days for blast off?

I'm at 13 months before I head north for the white sheep. I'll be thrilled with any mature ram.

Oak,

Dick is the man.I don't know him well, but he is a goof guy.

T bone,

1 month and blast off. I,m with you.
If I come home witha mature dall,
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back