Which scope for hunting

Four22

Hey gents and gals!

My lovely wife purchased a scope for me for Christmas in 3-12x42 with a 30mm tube and am wondering if I should exchange it for a 4-16x50 with a 30mm tube. The rifle (30-06) it is going on is mainly used for range work but would be the rifle I would use out west for deer, antelope & elk when we draw.

I'm not sure what would be best.

Thanks for the input!!

The wifey purchased a Nikon prostaff 7 in 3-12x42 with 30mm tube. The rifle currently has a Nikon 4-12 x40 on it. This will be a bit of a scope shuffle but I plan to rescope the 30-06 and upgrade the old Tasco that was on the rifle my grandfather left me.

I would stick with the 12x. I have 4-12's on my 270 and 7mm-08, and I try to keep shots under 300 yrds. My 300 win mag wears a 4-16 and I will go out to 400 with that gun no problem. I have a pretty severe astigmatism in my right eye though and the extra magnification really helps me, but in all honesty, if you got decent vision the 9 or 12 power max would be all you need.

I use that exact scope on my 7mm. works just fine. I practice to 600 yards with this scope, if I do my part it does its.

That ^^^

And yes, welcome to the forum.

I agree with Big Fin. I personally think the added weight and prices outweigh the benefits of going to a 50mm scope. Also, 12x is more than sufficient for distances you will be shooting.

Welcome to the forum

Thanks for the input guys. Just ordered 30mm rings and should have it mounted this week. I'll post back with a picture when it's together.

I'm going to need some coaching in the future on how to do a western diy hunt. A friend and myself want to do Colorado over the counter elk in 2018 but we have an immense amount or research to do.

Here are the mounted photos. Thanks for the input. I'm very pleased with the final product!!!
IMG_0550.jpg
IMG_0551.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back