Which rifle to invest $$ in

2rocky

Which of these guns would you put money into if you had some to spare?
what would be a high priority in terms of importance?
  1. A 2010 Howa ranchland .223 that hasn't killed anything with a Nikko-Stirling 3-12 scope
  2. a .Ruger M77 (1990's vintage with top tang safety) in .300 win mag with 2-7 Redfield Scope that has accounted for nearly all of my big game kills since 1992. Some trigger work done by gunsmith on stock trigger. 24" stock barrel.

The Ruger probably. Possibly a re-barrel, bed and float. New glass. I'm a synthetic stock guy. But if it ain't broke..... mtmuley

If the Ruger still has life in it (& shoots well) I would consider changing out the scope. If you did that you can swap the Redfield to the Howa. I personally think Howas are way too heavy with the factory stock so I would swap that out for anything lighter.

I'd throw a stock and a re-barrel onto that .300 and make it something that is challenging to kill with.

Attachments

• ProductImage.jpg
    ProductImage.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 454
I think it all depends on what you want each rifle to do amd what performance you're looking for.

.300 win mag with 2-7 Redfield Scope that has accounted for nearly all of my big game kills since 1992.

...sounds good to go & what mtmuley said about not being broke.

If don't have a specific plan in mind for either of those. throw that cash towards a new gun

It depends on what you want to use the rifle for. Personally, I would not put any money into an old 77. I would ditch it and get something else. The .223 would be fine if that is the caliber that you want.

I have to say that I have one of the first SS rugers in 300win that ever showed on the shelves in the Flathead Valley. Got it in 93, 3 position safety and the boat paddle stock. Kicks like hell, trigger is not great, ugly as all get out for sure. But damn if it doesn't just do what I've asked it to damn near every time I pull the trigger, and if it didn't do it, I have no doubt it was me and not the rifle. Sounds like thats what you have going with your Ruger as well, personally, I wouldn't touch it. Don't know much about the Howa's to be honest, my niece's both have them in 308 and as said above, to me they seem heavy, so I'd do a stock swap out and scope swap out on that.

Put the Nikon on the Ruger, and new scope / rebuild on the Howa.
Or as belly-deep says = add to the gun cabinent and put the money down on a new rig!

It depends on what you want to use the rifle for. Personally, I would not put any money into an old 77. I would ditch it and get something else. The .223 would be fine if that is the caliber that you want.

I've got 2 ruger 77's. one a tang safety 7mm mauser that has a shotgun pattern with all ammo and a hawkeye that is delivering MOA groups with handloads without any work.

I'm going to rebarrel the 7mm with an air gaged Douglas in 7mm AI.

I like the Ruger action. It's darned strong and while a little chunky, it can lend itself to superb accurancy.

I'd not hesitate to get another.

Just buy a new gun! Perfect excuse to do it, and you want to throw some money at it so just pick a caliber and go get one. With the quality and accuracy of shelf rifles nowadays its dam hard to justify rebarreling some rifles. Pick your flavor and some glass and have a nice summer project building it.

Back