Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Which rifle do I bring for Elk

7mm-HT or the 3-oh-HT should be your top choices but I guess you could slum it with your rifles and maybe be able to kill something.

All kidding aside go with the 06. Didn't Richard post a story on HT about an ammo crisis a couple years ago when he came over here to hunt?

I'd wager that Half the members of this board either own an 06 or hunt with someone that owns one so if you would always be able to get ammo plus the 06 will do everything you need it to do with a huge choice of bullet weights.

My God, I know this one will come back and bite me in the a$$ someday, but bring the '06, if those two are your ONLY choices. (I'm die hard a 7mmHT guy)

All kidding aside go with the 06. Didn't Richard post a story on HT about an ammo crisis a couple years ago when he came over here to hunt?
I did yes, but something positive came out of my experience, Delta accepted their website was incorrect, they changed it, and gave me a voucher worth around $400, which i have used.
So if BE wants to bring his own ammo it should be OK now, but for me, i will use factory ammo and delivered to a friend in Montana....just in case!

Cheers

Richard

All of this is really helpful. Think it has given me the resolve to bring the 06 and spend the next 20 months learning to shoot it well. Another clincher apart from the ammo is the fact that I cannot bring a moderator to shoot in Montana. My Swede only has a 20" barrel so to get the performance with 140gr it needs fairly poky powder which when shot with the mod off makes it quite a lively beast. In fact between the two when unmoderated the 06 is the pussy cat so it will be coming with me to Montana.
thanks got all your views it has been really helpful. Hope all you guys have a great new year and a prosperous 2017.

I did yes, but something positive came out of my experience, Delta accepted their website was incorrect, they changed it, and gave me a voucher worth around $400, which i have used.
So if BE wants to bring his own ammo it should be OK now, but for me, i will use factory ammo and delivered to a friend in Montana....just in case!

Cheers

Richard

I had a box of ammo in my carry on once which earned me a spot on the TSA watch list and a nice letter in the mail, which I should have framed. I'd rather have the credit

As mentioned use the rifle you're most comfortable with.

By the way I used to live in Banbury and I was stationed at Upper Heyford.

30-06 with partitions. If you are concerned about bringing the ammo with you have your american host get you some Nozler custom or premium rounds when you get here to hunt. They are readily available at any gun/sports store. Balistics are right on the the box, shouldn' take you more than 3-4 rounds to re-zero and you are ready to go. Used them many years before reloading my own, complete confidence in their over the counter performance.

Shoot whichever one you are most comfortable shooting. What I usually say in this kind of debate is that, if there is a shot you would take with one but not the other, you probably shouldn't take that shot with either.

I have used the 3006 with a 180 gr. Partition, and it works very well for the task.

I have used the 3006 with a 180 gr. Partition, and it works very well for the task.

Thanks I think this is where I'm going after all that has been said. Father Christmas just bought me an 8" steel gong so planning some 300-400yd practice sessions!

Happy new year to you all.

BE

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back