Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Which rifle do I bring for Elk

Big Ears

Hi I need some advice. I am Planning a trip in 2018 to montana with Richard (Devon Deer) and am thinking about which rifle to bring. I have a 30-06 which is loaded with 180gr NP or a 6.5x55 with 140gr Sierra GK (but thinking of changing those to NP).
I shoot the 6.5 more and am very comfortable with this. It has knocked over a huge red stag at 280m (300yards) in the past I have confidence with this round but is it going to be enough for Elk?
Balistically both rounds are identical and carry the same energy out to 300 yards maintaining 1500+ft/lb. Both of these are home loads which may pose a problem getting them into the US from the UK so may have to experiment with factory ammo to find a good equivalent.
My question is - am I wasting time on the 6.5 for Elk and should I concentrate on the 30-06 or are either capable and worth bringing.

Thanks for any help,

BE

Shot placement, in my opinion at least, is the most important thing when it comes to putting an elk down. I've killed plenty of elk with a .243 and a shot to the lungs. You can shoot an elk with a .338 but if it's a bad shot it's not going to be a quick and humane kill. So, with that being said, bring which ever rifle you are more comfortable with and shoot more accurately as either round will kill an elk.

Damn, the cat is out of the bag, looks like i am coming back to Montana!

Shot placement is key, having seen yours over the years that isn't an issue, so i think both would be ok with NP's, but my personal choice would be the 30-06.
My first ever rifle, .243, i have shot big stags with it, and i am 100% confident in it, but these days i usually reach for the 30-06, but no doubt i could nail an Elk with it, as long as i didn't push it to the limits.
You can bring over home loads, but the terms of carriage are so strict these days, you will need a hard sided case, and within that case a separate locked ammo box, the ammo cannot be carried in the same case as the rifle, but it makes life so much easier to order in advance some factory ammo and get it sent to a friend, like a friend on here for example.
Federal 180 grain Vital-Shok is perfect for the 30-06
A bull Elk is around twice the weight of the biggest red deer stag we get in the UK.
When they wake up today a lot more knowledgeable people than I will chime in, they are a great bunch on this site.

A timely video posted by Randy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4q56rGXPHw&list=TLGGJrJ1uXlDFMcyNzEyMjAxNg

(BE see you tomorrow on the Woodcock shoot!)

Cheers

Richard

Last edited:
I'd have no problem using either on elk. If you are much more comfortable/confident with the 6.5X55 then use it. The 140gr Partition would be the first bullet I would try and think it would make a dandy elk round. Folks from this website have been shooting a whole lot of game, including elk, and at distance with the 7-08 and 140gr bullets, which in all reality is not to different at all from the 6.5X55.

I live and hunt just north of Montana,in Canada.I also use smaller chamberings and great bullets for Bull elk.You will carry your gear over some pretty rough terrain and I prefer lightweight gear for this reason.The 6.5 or 30/06 is quite good with an exceptional bullet.I use the mono's these days and even the lighter bullets will get through muscle and bone imo. Swift and Nosler partitions work well too,but the mono's are slightly better imo

Sounds like Richard's adventures are rubbing off across the pond! Good luck!

I would take the '06 personally, but it comes down to what you are comfortable with. The 6.5 will do just fine, also. I would stay with a Partition or Accubond for either rifle. I would say definitely lose the Sierra bullets and go with the Partitions in the Swede.

I'd vote 30-06 out of those two. If you comfort levels are really that different then take the 6.5 as others have said its all about placement. But I'd like the 30-06 a little better for the margin of error it gives.

You will get by just fine with the 6.5 if that is what you choose. No bull can take a 6.5 to the chest and keep going for very long.

Of course, an '06 is never the wrong choice for elk.

If you might be buying ammunition when you get here, keep in mind factory loads in the US will be a very limited selection. With the '06, you will find all kinds of loads.

Like others have said, I'd go with 30-06 purely based on availability of ammo here in the US. If your ammo gets taken at customs like Richard's, you'll be able to go to just about any store in Montana and find a box of good 30-06 but 6.5 Swede is practically non-existent and may be on the lighter side.

Cheers guys. Sone great points, hadn't thought about ammo availability in US which may be a clincher. Looks like the 06 gets the vote which I'm cool with. I have light rifles in both and time to practice with the 30-06 at range so get use to its behaviour particularly in wind. This is where in my view the Swede wins over 30 cal as it is so predictable in windage.
At least I've got an excuse now to go out and shoot some practice gongs at 3-400m.

Thanks again

BE

Last edited:
Either the 6.5-55 or the 30-06 would be just fine. I agree in using excellent Partitions, Accubonds, or E-tips in either of those two choices. Hard to go wrong with a Nosler coming out the barrel! I wish you the best of luck. What state are you looking to hunt in??

David

I have light rifles in both and time to practice with the 30-06 at range so get use to its behaviour particularly in wind. This is where in my view the Swede wins over 30 cal as it is so predictable in windage.

BE

Yes the 6.5 is better in the wind. But I think you may be overestimating it's need. You could shoot truck (or lorry) loads of elk before the advantages of the 6.5 are realized. Most of the time you'll be at < 300 yards.

Yes the 6.5 is better in the wind. But I think you may be overestimating it's need. You could shoot truck (or lorry) loads of elk before the advantages of the 6.5 are realized. Most of the time you'll be at < 300 yards.

Makes sense. I have shot the 30-06 with target bullets out to 600yds but found after 400yds judging the windage challenging. All be it this was in top if a moor which is not short of a breeze or two and it was gusting. I found that the judgement of the gust much more critical with the 06 than the 6.5. If 300yds is a reasonable bench mark then that is achievable easily and have enough time to get out and hit some 8" plates to get used to things. I recon if I can hit an 8" plate reliably at 300yds then that should be accurate enough on Elk what ever range.

as others have said either is fine, the 06 would be my choice if traveling from overseas just incase they loose your ammo/take it... would be easier to find, if you can find the Nosler already at a store id shoot that so you can just buy it over here. Done want to be all gtg with 150 acubonds at home then get to Montana and can't find any. (I'm sure you will find them). Either way enjoy it!!

Hi Big Ears, I'm no help on the rifle question but good on you for planning your trip nice and early. Planning is half the fun and with Richard you'll have someone with experience to plan and get questions answered. If i can help with anything about non resident hunting let me know. I hunted Wyoming the last two years, and hoping to get back next year too.

Cheers Kiwi. I am sure between now and when we go there will be thousands of questions it's good to know there are people willing to help.

BE

I shot my bull elk at 399 with a .257 Roberts (6.35MM). It stumbled 20 yards before it died. 6.5MM should be good to at least 425 yards...

I'd take what I can hit with. Either will kill a bull elk.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back