Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Which Meat Grinder?

MHMT

Curious about which meat grinders people use? I have used the Cabelas 1hp in the past and it seems to work quite well, but it is sold out and now it appears Cabelas has a new model called the Carnivore. Has anyone had any experience with this grinder? Also looking at the LEM, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I was very happily surprised at how well the grinder attachment for the Kitchen Aid mixer did on my burger grind this year. 50ish dollars.

Can't help with the cabelas model but I have a LEM 3/4hp meat grinder and I couldn't be happier with it.

I also use the kitchen aid with it's attachment. I did end up burning up the first kitchen aid motor, and had to replace it with a new heavier model. This new kitchen aid has been awesome and don't anticipate having a problem with it's bigger motor. It grinds almost faster than I can feed it.

I got the Bass Pro Shop version. It's basically the LEM at half the price. It still has stainless gears and all of the bells and whistles. I have the 3/4 hp one and it grinds like crazy. I also spent the extra money for the foot pedal on/off switch.

Cabelas grinders are fantastic. I have owned two and still own my one horse model. The new ones are really nice and have been re-designed a bit. If you buy one, it is the last that you will ever need. I wish that I could justify selling mine and buying the new 1 3/4 horse. What a beast! Buy the biggest one that you can justify. You will not be disappointed. Unless they have changed, they are made by Weston.

Whatever you buy, get the foot pedal. I think Cabelas has it as part of the deal right now on a 1/2 horse. It saves a lot of wear on the switch on the grinder.

All of the ones mentioned already are very good, the biggest thing to look for is that the gears are metal and not plastic. Plastic gears don't last long.

I also use the kitchen aid with it's attachment. I did end up burning up the first kitchen aid motor, and had to replace it with a new heavier model. This new kitchen aid has been awesome and don't anticipate having a problem with it's bigger motor. It grinds almost faster than I can feed it.

My first Grinder was this cheap Waring Pro. Real crappy. I've been using a Kitchen Aid attachment for three years now and like Sawtooth I am incredibly impressed with it. I think it helps to have a larger model Kitchen Aid. I ground this elk mountain last November.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    176.6 KB · Views: 6,115
I have the 1.5 hp Cabela's grinder. I grind around 500 plus lbs a year, and it is everything I could want. Unless you do a large amount of meat ( couple elk and deer a yr. ), you don't need this much power though.

Thanks for the replies. We have the kitchen aid grinder, but we are planning on getting new one with at least 1hp. We usually freeze our scrap meat and then grind it at the end of the year and it is just a bit too much for the kitchen aid to handle. Sounds like both the LEM or Cabelas are pretty good options. I am just hoping the new Cabelas Carnivore model is still of the same quality as the older ones.

I have one of the older Cabelas 1 & 1/2 hp. grinder with a foot pedal. Best grinder I have ever used. Makes short work of grinding Moose and Elk trimmings. No experience with the new Carnivore models.

Make sure to get the foot pedal. Seems like an insignificant convenience factor until you grind 50 lbs of burger or try and use it as a stuffer.

Thanks for the replies. We have the kitchen aid grinder, but we are planning on getting new one with at least 1hp. We usually freeze our scrap meat and then grind it at the end of the year and it is just a bit too much for the kitchen aid to handle. Sounds like both the LEM or Cabelas are pretty good options. I am just hoping the new Cabelas Carnivore model is still of the same quality as the older ones.

If you want to check out a local business pay a visit to The Sausage Co. which is located just North of Wheat Montana on 287.Karla has everything any butcher/home processor could ask for.I bought my entire set-up from her.She usually has a good selection of grinders/plates and ALL accessories. Not to mention,she also has a wonderful variety of spice packages.I have even bought pork butt from her.She is pretty competitive with the box stores.
I also would recommend the foot pedal for one person efficiency. if you like to use the 1 lb. plastic stuff bags the tape dispenser for sealing the end keeps the cussing to a minimum.
Karla is super nice and knowledgeable about all facets.

I have an LEM #8. It does everything I need it to do and does it well. I grind up 1 or 2 deer a year. Just to make brats and have a little burger.

KitchenAid works for me. I've ran a lot of meat through it. When it goes I'll replace it wth the same to keep momma happy.

3/4 hp Cabelas - have had this 10 years. All ya need, unless you go commercial. I see they went to another co-brand. Never had issue with mine.

Also happy with my 3/4 hp Cabelas. I assume you will be registered at Cablelas?:D

Dang I didn't know the Kitchenaid grinder would have enough oomph to grind a mess of elk...probably shouldn't admit that I have one as a single male but hey a guy's gotta make pizza dough somehow.

I have the Cabelas 1/2hp that I got on super clearance otherwise I'd have a 1hp setup. It may be a good compromise however since my processing jobs tend to be smaller since I can't shoot an elk to save my life.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back