Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Which map?

Bukwild3

Mytopo map or the Wyoming game and fish map? Looking for a good map of unit 29.

As was recommended to our group by the regulars on here I would suggest the onXmaps. If your looking for public road info most of the county websites have a map of the publicly maintained roads.

The WY G&F map is just really a map to get someone started. As stated above, to know exactly what roads you can legally travel on that are publicly maintained you need the individual county map of where you plan to hunt. A lot are now on the websites and if they aren't you'll need to contact the individual counties to get what you need. Then a GPS OnXMap chip or download on it or your phone will show all the land ownership and should show the roads, but not if they are public with the exception of the interstates and state highways that usually show in red with an insignia and number. Then you can go into your map showing land ownership to see what roads from your county map actually touch or go through the public land you want to hunt in order to be legal. If your GPS allows you to plug it into your computer, that is really nice to have things on a big screen and normally you can even print a map for yourself right at home. Hope that helps!

As was recommended to our group by the regulars on here I would suggest the onXmaps. If your looking for public road info most of the county websites have a map of the publicly maintained roads.

Be aware that the county road information is not always accurate...at all.

Usually a handful or more of county roads that are open to public use that don't show up. Also, open BLM and FS roads are not listed on the county websites either.

Its a good place to start, but far from reality.

I would recommend the Mytopo maps, having a paper map is important to me if I am concerned about road status. That way you can mark the map up, as you start to decode what roads are accessible or not.

As was mentioned previously, there doesn't seem to be a single source for the information on road status. I have found the local warden to be a useful source of info on this as well.

I agree with Minnesota. My game plan always includes MyTopo in conjunction with my OnX maps loaded on my Garmin. After honing down my hunt area through either, personal knowledge, others experienced in the area, and a little virtual scouting, I obtain two or three adjoining maps from MyTopo and carry those into the field.

Buzz, You bring up a good point regarding the forest service roads and BLM roads. I have been looking at a lot of different maps and it seems they all are a bit different. Is there any place that shows public easements to access BLM/ other public land?

Thanks for that link TheDudeAbides! I use the regional OnxMaps chips but this is nice to be able to look around on Google Earth and see the boundaries.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back