Which Luepold reticle?

Carny

I just ordered two vx5hd 3-15x44 scopes. One has the htmr reticle and the other is the impact 29. I’m going to keep one and sell the other to a friend. Which would you choose and why?

I can see pros and cons for each but can’t decide. I honestly haven’t shot enough to really be used to moa or mrad so I don’t think that will be a big issue either way. My only experience is sighting in scopes which are moa but I’ve never adjusted anything for elevation or windage while shooting.

I’ll be mounting it on a tikka t3x superlite 300 win mag and using it for hunting.

Thanks!

I think it depends how you want to use the set up.

I have no experience with the impact 29 specifically, I had to look it up (it looks like a tree reticle but in minutes). I have however used the h-58, h-59, and a few other tree reticles they work great if you using them as designed, to hold for elevation and wind. Lots of sub tensions good for holding also awesome for self correction if you don’t have a spotter as long as your fundamentals of marksmanship are good. They’re also good for shooting at targets at different ranges. No need to mess with a dial. A lot of people get turned off by how busy they appear but they’re not that bad with a little time and proper training/knowledge.

I also have a lot of time behind a TMR which looks identical to the htmr. If you hold elevation and wind it can become a bitch. For example if you hold two mils for elevation and need to hold a mil or so for wind you’re hold will be in open space of the scope so it kinda sucks. It’s doable but IMO less accurate. But if you dial elevation you hold wind it’s alot easier.

TLDR, If you’re gonna hold elevation and wind I’d go impact, dial elevation hold wind I’d go tmr. Minutes vs mils, Ford or Chevy, I learned both but drifted to mils as it was easier for me.

Also I would look at what your dial sub tensions are as well as the focal plane, my tmr has 1 minute elevation adjustments and .5 wind adjustment in a second focal plane scope, drives me nuts. Good luck, sorry for the long post hope it was helpful.

I just ordered two vx5hd 3-15x44 scopes. One has the htmr reticle and the other is the impact 29. I’m going to keep one and sell the other to a friend. Which would you choose and why?

I can see pros and cons for each but can’t decide. I honestly haven’t shot enough to really be used to moa or mrad so I don’t think that will be a big issue either way. My only experience is sighting in scopes which are moa but I’ve never adjusted anything for elevation or windage while shooting.

I’ll be mounting it on a tikka t3x superlite 300 win mag and using it for hunting.

Thanks!
Isn't the TMR the simplest? That's how I'd go between those two...but I'm sold on Firedot.

I’ve been watching for a 3-5-10x40 firedot since about the day the VX3HD lineup came out. I did see the 3.5-10x50 in stock once. Several times I’ve had a 4.5-14x40 duplex in my cart, ready to say screw it. Each time I opted to wait, and each time I wonder if I’m an idiot for not just buying the standard duplex. As I watch prices increase, so does the wondering.

I’ve been watching for a 3-5-10x40 firedot since about the day the VX3HD lineup came out. I did see the 3.5-10x50 in stock once. Several times I’ve had a 4.5-14x40 duplex in my cart, ready to say screw it. Each time I opted to wait, and each time I wonder if I’m an idiot for not just buying the standard duplex. As I watch prices increase, so does the wondering.
I like the illuminated TMOA as well if that is showing up with more availability (but probably have to move up to 5hd family for that).

I have the VX5, VX6, VXR FD's on rifles...

..and the 3HD 3.5x10x40 FD ordered since it's inception. Schmaltz and I use the unicorn designation often. I think the 3HD 4.5x14x40 (30mm tube) would be the perfect scope if it had FD).

IMO VX5's are great bang for buck but I prefer the VX3 scope bodies...and my eyes don't see a noticeable drop off in real world sight pic utility.

I have the VX5, VX6, VXR FD's on rifles...

..and the 3HD 3.5x10x40 FD ordered since it's inception. Schmaltz and I use the unicorn designation often. I think the 3HD 4.5x14x40 (30mm tube) would be the perfect scope if it had FD).

IMO VX5's are great bang for buck but I prefer the VX3 scope bodies...and my eyes don't see a noticeable drop off in real world sight pic utility.
I wish Leupold would never have put the firedot VX3HD model on their website. I am pretty fed up with having to burst peoples bubble when I tell them they do not exist yet.

I wish Leupold would never have put the firedot VX3HD model on their website. I am pretty fed up with having to burst peoples bubble when I tell them they do not exist yet.
Wait…what??? Please burst my bubble by telling me the reason behind your statement. Thank you!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back