Nightforce SHV Opinions

MTLabrador

I’m looking at the 3-10x42 and the F1 4-14x50. Pros? Cons? How well does the MOAR reticle work?

Whichever scope I go with will be going on a Tikka in .308 that I’m tinkering with. I’m willing to trade a little bit of weight for durability and reliability and I don’t want to spend S&B or NF ATACR money. Primary purpose is mid-long range steel plinking for practice and hunting out into the 500ish range.

Feel free to recommend other options too, I don’t have my mind completely made up yet.

Last edited:
I have one with MOA....4-16x.....at 30 ozs plus rail and rings its HEAVY.....my rem 700 in 7RM with bipod weighs around 11 lbs.....BUT, the scope is a solid peice of work and accurate clicks....clear as they come.

Look at the weights of scope, they seem to come from just under a pound to 2 lbs and anywhere between.

I really like my 3-10. The MOAR reticle hasn't caused any real issues yet.

Hard to go wrong with a Night Force!!

Someone i know with the SVH & a US Optics TS series compares the 2 quite close.
He likes the turrets on the NF better though.

Have you looked at the new (light weight) option from Arken?
30mm tube instead of 34mm, running in the 24oz range for their 4-16.

Other options worth consideration.

Meopta
Crimson Trace

Any way you go, i'd contact @schmalts!

Last edited:
If you’re looking at the 4-14, I would hold out and wait for GA Precision to get more of the 4.5-18 LRHS2 in stock. The Bushy is lighter than the 4-14SHV, provides the same FOV at 4.5x as the SHV does at 4x, is 2 ounces lighter, and is a much nicer scope in every way.

If you were wanting to look at the 3-10, I would look hard at the 2.5-15x42 Trijicon Credo. I hunted with one for a year and really liked it. Easy zero stop system, good magnification range and good reticles. Never heard of any tracking issues with them, I just think they haven’t really figured out how to market to the western hunting scene.

Nothing wrong with the SHV, I think they’re completely serviceable. I’ve just always been underwhelmed with them. It’s always felt like Nightforce uses that line to cater to the people that want a nightforce scope but don’t want to pay the price of the NXS or ATACR lines.

I will second on looking hard at the Trijicon Credo mine has worked really well dials spot on and returns to zero....

MOAR reticle is only ok in my opinion. I would rather have a floating center dot. In my opinion, Trijicon Credo and Ten Mile are better options for the same money. Their reticle is better than MOAR, glass is better than SHV's and they are reliable. Eurooptic has great prices.

I have two SHV with the illuminated MOAR reticle. I like the reticle, but both scopes failed in cold/freezing temps. They were repaired/replaced by Nightforce but I'd never purchase one again. I'm sure my experiences are not normal for the SHV line, but 2/2 failures makes them a no go for me.
Trijicon and Bushnell have better glass in the same price range.

If you’re looking at the 4-14, I would hold out and wait for GA Precision to get more of the 4.5-18 LRHS2 in stock. The Bushy is lighter than the 4-14SHV, provides the same FOV at 4.5x as the SHV does at 4x, is 2 ounces lighter, and is a much nicer scope in every way.

If you were wanting to look at the 3-10, I would look hard at the 2.5-15x42 Trijicon Credo. I hunted with one for a year and really liked it. Easy zero stop system, good magnification range and good reticles. Never heard of any tracking issues with them, I just think they haven’t really figured out how to market to the western hunting scene.

Nothing wrong with the SHV, I think they’re completely serviceable. I’ve just always been underwhelmed with them. It’s always felt like Nightforce uses that line to cater to the people that want a nightforce scope but don’t want to pay the price of the NXS or ATACR lines.
I hadn’t looked at the Credo before but it looks like a very nice scope. Might have to do a little more research on that one. The other Trijicon products I’ve used have been great.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back