Which handgun as a backup?

Ruger super redhawk frames are the strongest. 357 will do almost anything you need. If you don't plan on a close encounter with a grizzly, 9mm as previously mentioned is enough.

Here’s a question (keep in mind I live in Western Colorado where snakes are not a problem). Why not just walk around a snake instead of shooting it?
I shoot snakes because they are snakes. Got bit by a friends pet garden snake when I was a kid and have hated then ever since.

For carry in bear country I prefer my 30-06 with 180gr or 200gr loads. For the other things on your list, hard to find but I love my Mod 16 Smith in 32 long with cast bullet's. Then again sometimes I might take along my High Standard HD Military in 22 LR. Have a Smith 22 combat masterpiece but the other 22's I much prefer! Years ago I had a Colt Trooper in 38spec I kept loaded with 148gr wadcutter's for walking around!

Call me crazy, but when I archery hunt in Idaho Grizzly country I carried my bow and a can of bear spray. All a handgun is going to do is piss it off unless you are an expert marksman and can hit a grizzly in the kill zone charging at 30MPH from 40 yards. I have a friend that is an outfitter in Wyoming and he said he'd rather encounter a grizzly than a cow moose with calves. For the record, it wouldn't be the first time I had been called crazy. Most thought I was nuts for hunting alone and not for not carrying a handgun in grizzly country.

Like this. Ones that get me are guys that go hunt in bear country with some super zapper rifle and carry a handgun as back up in case they're attacked. I always have in the back of my mind some guy throwing his 458 mag on the ground and grabbing his 10mm hand gun to defend himself. When I first moved to Montana, 1969, I was uncomfortable carrying only my 7mm Mag in grizzly country so got a 338 mag. Early on that 338 mag damaged me more than any bear ever has! I've gotten over it down the road.

All great comments thanks.
Just to clarify, I am in AZ so I'm not worried about bears, just small stuff. I was even thinking just a 22LR might be fine, but in the case of a rabid 'yote it might not have the stopping power I need. I do want something I can learn to shoot easily.
Yes I would be carrying it while bow hunting as well as rifle hunting. It doesn't need to be super tiny, I'm not going to be carrying it my purse or anything ;)

I have to admit I don't like the look of those plastic handguns, they all look the same to me. But I'm definitely going function over form.
Single action or double action .22 mag. You can swap cylinders and shoot .22 LR for practice. Load it with hollow points and carry some snake shot in your pocket.

+1 for the judge 45/410.
I’m seriously considering one to have for a camp gun. Some .410 bird shot will handle any snakes or rabbits you encounter, and buck shot or 45lc will handle anything bigger.

Ammo is more expensive than 9mm, though, and revolvers aren’t everyone’s cup of tea. Not necessarily a great conceal carry gun either, if that’s something you want to do as well.

Single action or double action .22 mag. You can swap cylinders and shoot .22 LR for practice. Load it with hollow points and carry some snake shot in your pocket.

Good advise here, plus you get comfortable with it and you can move to its big brother for hunting!

12D8298D-024F-4D31-8CC9-EEA681196CBC.jpeg

First gun, a S&W .38 special with a 4" barrel. Model 10 is easy to come by and won't break the bank, especially if cosmetics is not an issue.

Or, a .22 in S&W or any of the S&W knock-offs work just fine

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back