Which first Mystery Ranch pack?

Chuckchapman1

I’ve been narrowing it down and searching and researching but I think I have settled on a mystery ranch 70L ish pack. Sierra seems to have the best prices and options. Sphinx, Terraplane or Glacier.
Multi day camping family trips where I’ll be hauling more than my fair share and multi day backpack hunting trips eventually building up to back country elk trips. Decided to buy good at first and save on buying again later. Any suggestions and experience would be helpful.
Bigger guy 6’1” 260lbs 40” waist if that helps at all.

Opticsplanet has them cheap. Just ordered one myself and you can get 10% off their sale price there.
But which one? I can’t decide on a specific pack. I hear you need to try them on but nobody in my area has any in stock. I live in the upper Midwest and backpacking and or backpack hunting is a rarity.

I hear you on that. I got try on some packs and I really don’t think you can go wrong as long as you get a quality brand.

Argalioutdoors has all Mystery Ranch packs and accessories at 20% off right now with free shipping. I have never bought from them before but thought you might wanna know.

I would call Mystery Ranch and ask them which packs would be best? Also ask about your size. They may need to extend the waist belt for you. You may be a 40 waist but what are you with your hunting duds on. Im considering a
MR pack myself. Im way outside the size perimeters. I will be giving them a call concerning fit as I sure dont want to sink $400-500 into a pack that doesn't fit. I would rather pay more for it to be customized and work for me.

I'd check out the Beartooth. It's new for this year so you're not going to find a ton of info on it online, but it's only half a pound heavier than the Metcalf, but it's larger and has more pockets/areas to store different gear, and a duffle style zipper, which I think is a great idea (get at your gear from either side, or the top, and when you get to camp unzip the entire top). Should make organization a lot easier, which I struggle with in a pack where you've only got a single large compartment.

There aren't any dealers in the Vegas area, so I took a gamble on the Metcalf. My first experience with a high quality pack and I'm so glad it was MR I chose. The first time I really put to heavy use was on a shakeout hike to Havsupai. About 30 miles over 3 days and that pack made it almost easy to carry 40 lbs. The hip girdle alone makes it great, then factor in all the ways it can be expanded, quality of construction/materials, all makes to create a first rate pack.

You're a little bigger than me and i'm a tweener on sizing for their packs but will likely end up in their Lg/XL size. You're probably their Lg/XL frame and I'm a fan of the Beartooth which will be following me home as soon as I can lose another 10lbs.

If at all possible try one of these on first or order from someone that will do exchanges quick and preferably free just in case.

Gohunt has a killer Memorial Day sale going on right now, and if you use promo code randy you get 10% more off. I think with the sale and promo combined you can get a metcalf for $380... that’s a steal!

For first pack I would get Metcalf (but haven’t seen Beartooth), it is big enough to pack in and cinches down ok for day pack. You can add a Muley or Pintler bags later if you want smaller option, but you can only get Metcalf with initial fullpack purchase.

For first pack I would get Metcalf (but haven’t seen Beartooth), it is big enough to pack in and cinches down ok for day pack. You can add a Muley or Pintler bags later if you want smaller option, but you can only get Metcalf with initial fullpack purchase.

I have a Metcalf and I've fondled a Beartooth. If I was going to backpack hunt, I'd get the Beartooth no question.

Damn, only one season old and already obsolete :)

That's the crappy thing about innovation! When I'm getting a piece of equipment I research around and try to get the best I can (within reason), then I make a point not to look at anything new that comes out in that field for a long time - happier that way :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back